Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 28th, 2014, 02:29 PM
Admiral

Default Pete Seeger

A moment of silence please for Pete Seeger.

On second thought, make a joyful noise.

I used to play his records on the radio and more recently I've had the pleasure for the last three years of attending the music festival that Pete founded, up along the Hudson River. Last June, Pete was there as always, playing and singing and enjoying the audience and the beautiful setting along the river he helped clean up. During the festival the sloop Clearwater is always plying the river, the ship he built to be a teaching laboratory for everybody--especially kids--about the importance of treating our planet gently. He concluded his set this last time by asking us all to sing along with "Where Have All the Flowers Gone," because as he said, "we haven't learned the lesson yet."

A music giant, a gentle friend to all, and a truly good man. There will be a big missing place at the festival this year.

Thanks for everything Pete.
Old January 28th, 2014, 09:04 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Rip, Mr. Seeger.
Old January 29th, 2014, 11:24 AM
Admiral

Bring back folk music. I can't stand the stuff that they are singing (is the noise they make really singing?) today. I have about 200 Lp's of the good stuff including plenty of Pete Seegar stashed away.
Old January 29th, 2014, 05:08 PM
First Mate

"So long, it's been good to know you...."

Thanks, Pete

Read and post cruise reviews
Old January 30th, 2014, 07:35 AM
Admiral

I am privileged to have had several conversations with Pete down at the Hudson River near the train station in Beacon where he and his wife lived for decaes and where Pete usually docked the Clearwater. On Spring, Summer and early Fall weekends he and volunteers were often seen working on his sloop

He was a most interesting, erudite and gentle man and an engaging conversationalist. He indeed, never when I knew him, considered himself a celebrity. If you couldn't identify him as who he was, one could have a casual conversation and never know you were talking to Pete Seeger.

Yes, we were diametrically opposed politically although we avoided politics in our conversations. He had once been a member of the Communist Party if I remember correctly, in the late thirties early forties. I think I'm safe in saying that initially he looked upon the Communist Party as being able to produce the Utopia many thought it was. Obviously reality actually set in and he quickly realized that the actual Communist Party was far far removed from what not only he, but thousands of others in this country back then, expected it to be. I read somewhere at the time of his death that he often referred to himself as a communist, "...but with a small "c" although he never said that to me personally. but I think if true, that alone validates my conclusions.

He was a passionate environmentalist, especially when it concerned his beloved Hudson River. While I don't know this to be fact, I firmly believe he was instrumental in the ultimately successful effort to clean up the river and for that alone, we should all be grateful.
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Old January 30th, 2014, 11:28 AM
Admiral

That's right, Todd. Pete was a member of the Communist Party, but bailed out once he realized that their actions, especially in Russia, didn't come close to matching their ideals.

But because of his association with them he was called in front of the House Unamerican Activities Committee, where he told them basically to take a hike. This got him blackballed during the Red scare of the 50s, and although he wasn't allowed on network radio or TV, it didn't slow him down too much.

And yes, he essentially funded the sloop, and he founded the Clearwater Festival with Arlo all those years ago. Woody still shows up to do a set most years. As late as this past June, Pete was holding forth there, playing and singing, and riding his golf cart through the crowd, chatting. I (literally) bumped into him outside the food tents where he was eating a brownie. "Chocoholic," he grinned.

Nice guy.
Old January 30th, 2014, 11:52 AM
Admiral

Pete, thank you for the music. Wish there were more like you around today....

donna