Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 25th, 2014, 10:50 AM
First Mate

Default Accommodation during road trip

When we drive to Florida we typically use the Hotel coupons, found at rest areas or visitor centers, to obtain 'reasonable' rates on overnight accommodation. I'm wondering if it is better to use the sites that take bids for hotel rooms and since we have no experience doing that I'm wondering what others think.

"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." ~ Mae West

Sponsored Links
Old March 25th, 2014, 11:45 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckity View Post
When we drive to Florida we typically use the Hotel coupons, found at rest areas or visitor centers, to obtain 'reasonable' rates on overnight accommodation. I'm wondering if it is better to use the sites that take bids for hotel rooms and since we have no experience doing that I'm wondering what others think.
I have never been a fan of the "coupons" that are at visitor centers and rest areas. They are often out dated, carry a number of restrictions and black out dates, and are almost always more than you can get online.

Pre-booking your hotel while on a road trip will require pre-planning and understanding of how far you will travel each day and to take into consideration if you want some leeway or are on a set schedule.

I have always been a Priceline advocate. We've used it for both cruise and land vacations. The negative is that you have no flexibility if your travel plans change or you encounter problems. Once you purchase the hotel room (by bidding) you cannot get a refund. You can purchase hotel rooms on Priceline that can be cancelled but the rooms you "bid" on are non-refundable.

If your travel plans are fixed and you know your schedule then go ahead and use Priceline. If you want some flexibility try something like Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, etc. I also recommend that you check the hotel's website to see if they offer a lower rate than the large booking engines. I've been surprised to find "web offers" with Hilton and Marriott families of hotels for less than quoted on the booking engines.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 25th, 2014, 11:55 AM
Admiral

Sandra has memberships from a handful of hotel/motel websites from back when she travelled with her job. We are also members of AARP and AAA. By choosing one chain and using them most of the time, we can cut our costs way down, especially when using the AARP or AAA discounts.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old March 25th, 2014, 07:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I have only used priceline or hotline in Lauderdale, where I have stayed for years and know the area. There are variables..high or low season, or say like the boat show, or major conventions, these change the $$'s, as I found out one stay...I would say, if you are looking for a higher end hotel, for as low as you can get, in Lauderdale as an example,and you want to stay near the port, put in 4 star downtown, and you will end up in the A1A area...The Ren, Pier 66, both of which I have won...Embassy Suites..all good hotels...but, if you are looking for economy lodging, I don't think you need Priceline..

I have seen people post that they ended up in Dania, or Plantation, which for me is just too far out, so you need to do some research....I believe it's biddingfortravel.com, which gives info, for what people bid and won on priceline, so scanning this site will give you insite on where to begin your bidding, for a certain time frame.....I have been happy going this route. start low and work your way up in price.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 25th, 2014, 09:05 PM
Admiral

Default Accommodations During a Roadtrip

I just used Priceline . . . for the first time! Keith and I are going to Phoenix in April. I was unhappy with the hotel prices (and so was Keith!), so I took a chance on Priceline. I bid for a 4 star hotel, attracted by the "best deals) sign by them. For once, luck was on my side and I ended up with the place I really wanted in the first place, but originally too expensive. With Priceline the cost was reduced by quite a bit.

Judy
Old March 25th, 2014, 10:24 PM
Captain

I have had the very best results of all by doing the following: (Works especially well in areas where there are LOTS of hotels, like Florida and Niagara Falls)

Just walk in and ask for the absolute best rate. Never failed yet, except once: the place was full, so I went next door. Smart hoteliers know "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"

So you thought YOU were having a bad day???

Last edited by ship2shore; March 26th, 2014 at 12:42 AM.
Old March 26th, 2014, 12:12 AM
Admiral

I have made six road trips between Ct. and Fl. and a couple of times we flew to Ct. and drove back to Fl.

I did all the driving and my DW helped with planning and navigation. We stopped when we felt tired and we always found places with good rates.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13

Booked Vision of the Seas . 2/14/2015

Booked Allure of the Seas... 2/21/16 *Last Gang Cruise*
Old March 26th, 2014, 08:49 AM
First Mate

Thanks to everyone for giving me their thoughts on this.

"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." ~ Mae West

Old March 26th, 2014, 09:04 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckity View Post
Thanks to everyone for giving me their thoughts on this.

We like to be helpful.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13