CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Easter Monday in the Caribbean (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/401966-easter-monday-caribbean.html)

Trip April 21st, 2014 09:58 AM

Easter Monday in the Caribbean

Picture it...Easter Monday, the Caribbean...the port of Guadaloupe. Everybody milling around the main lobby anxious to get off the ship to tour this beautiful French island. Suddenly, there was a buzz going around ..questioning voices getting louder!

This was the scene as we walked into lobby area on the Tropicale, years ago. What was happening was, no one onboard, including the crew selling excursions the night before, thought it pertinent to mention the fact, it was Easter Monday, a beach holiday,and basically the island was closed, most locals were where else? At the beach...and due to this, there was a very limited amount of taxi drivers to do private tours.

Why were we not told about this holiday, asked the angry cruisers? We didn't know, said the crew.....Oh really? What happened last year when you were here on Easter Monday? Sheepish looks,and more outrage!

The savvy cruisers, including me, high tailed it off the ship, gathering a group as we worked our way down the gangplank, getting one of the few taxi drivers to tour us around the island..we had a nice day, with nice people, but, there was almost a mutiny, with angry passengers feeling the ship, intentionally did not tell the passengers, of this holiday, offering only the limited amount of excursions, they were able to cull. Would love to go back to this beautiful island, just not on Easter Monday.:)

TimmyK April 21st, 2014 10:14 AM

Good story, so did the cruise line pre sell excursions? I assume you did not pre book and were planning on taking taxi around island.

Aerogirl April 21st, 2014 10:32 AM

Good morning

Had a nice Easter with my family and also celebrated my sisters birthday, weather was a beautiful 76f and sitting out in her yard was nice.

It was in her yard that it hit me....I'm leaving for a cruise in less than two weeks, now that Vegas has come and gone and I've caught up on my sleep I can start to focus on my cruise packing list and get it packed! I'm finally feeling excited!!!!!!!

Trip.....crazy story....how did the cruise crew & line not know the island was pretty much shut down due to Easter....luckily it worked out for you.

Mike......hope your doing well.

Wishing all my mates a great day!

rollerdonna April 21st, 2014 10:54 AM

At this point in our never ending winter, I wouldn't care if the whole island was closed for Easter, I would be happy just to be on board a cruise ship in the Caribbean. Thanks for that visual today Trip!

donna

CruisinK n J April 21st, 2014 11:57 AM

Easter Monday in the Caribbean

Good morning. We had a nice Easter, too. The food was delicious and the wine and champagne flowed.

Trip, we had an experience like that several years ago on Princess. There was to be a stop at Monaco. I was so looking forward to it. The problem? The Grand Prix was that day; you couldn't get near the place! So I never did get to see Monte Carlo.

Mike, I hope you're on the mend and doing well . . .

Have a good day, people.

Judy

Haimia April 21st, 2014 12:47 PM

It is a nice 73 degrees at the moment. Easter was nice, too. In the low 70's and a slight breeze. We had family Easter a week ago, so for us it was just church, dinner out (took a bit to find a place open) and a lazy rest of day.

Surgery went well. I already gave up the walker and am moving, but slowly. I have to hand it to the anesthesia guy - I awoke, ate and we drove home without even a hint of nausea; I even ate, again, when I got home. Have never had general with that kind of outcome!! Gotta get the recipe he used for sure! I hope Mike M. has as good of an outcome as I had. Prayers for him!

Nothing much more to report. Just another week of the same old, same old. DH worked early last night (yup, on Easter) and is working over all week, again. Like I said SOSO!!

Hope all have a good day and a great week!

LS80 April 21st, 2014 12:49 PM

Morning from the Pacific Northwest........

Had a nice quiet Easter.......

Sharon

Manuel April 21st, 2014 05:56 PM

We had a nice Easter with friends coming over for dinner.

Today was a typical Sunny Florida day, so it like another Sunday.

TM

Trip April 21st, 2014 07:54 PM

Timmy, they did sell some the night prior, from what I undertsand not pushing as they usually do,and from a small table set up in a public space.