Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 14th, 2014, 11:49 AM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Dannyboy
Unhappy United's new baggage weigth/size & fees

UNITED’S revised carry-on & checked baggage policy for travel worldwide.
Updated: May 8, 2014

Carry-on baggage allowed and overages on size & weight can be collected any point in the itinerary, including and not limited to a connecting flight.
United accepts the following items, per customer to be carried on the aircraft at no charge:
One carry-on bag no more than 45 linear inches or 114 linear centimeters (L + W + H) or 14 inches x 9 inches x 22 inches (23 x 35 x 56 cm)
One personal item (such as a shoulder or laptop bag), see below.
UNITED’S NEW POLICY AS OF MAY 8, 2014 One carry-on bag no more than 45 linear inches. This is a 2.5 linear inches reduction is size!
Carry-on baggage
Each traveler can bring on board one carry-on bag plus one personal item free of charge. To ensure a smooth boarding experience, it’s important to make sure that these items will fit into the overhead bin or under the seat in front of you.
Carry-on bag
The maximum dimensions for a carry-on bag are 9 inches x 14 inches x 22 inches (22 cm x 35 cm x 56 cm), including handles and wheels.

Personal item
The maximum dimensions for your personal item, such as a shoulder bag, backpack, laptop bag or other small item, are 9 inches x 10 inches x 17 inches (22 cm x 25 cm x 43 cm).

To determine if a bag will fit onboard, bag sizers will be available in the airport lobby. Once at the gate, any item in excess of the will be charged the following fees below.

Oversized baggage fees below
Checked bags exceeding maximum size allowed may vary depending on cabin, status level, military status, itinerary and date of purchase.
*linear measurement = length + width + height
Customers who travel with checked baggage exceeding 62 linear inches (158 cm) (total length + width + height) will be required to pay a service charge of $200 per bag or personal item, based on the itinerary. To determine service total charges for oversized baggage for your trip, use our baggage calculator, and after your results are displayed, check the box for “Additional and other bag charges.”
These charges are in addition to any charge assessed for additional or overweight baggage and can be calculated before arriving at the airport by using United's baggage calculator.
Baggage measuring more than 115 inches (292 cm) (total outside dimensions; length + width + height) will not be accepted as checked baggage.
Sponsored Links
Old May 15th, 2014, 07:58 AM
Admiral

Dannyboy, is there a copy and paste issue here? I don't see the difference between 9 x 14 x 22 and 14 x 9 x 22. I don't see the change in the carry on policy.

All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by; John Masefield
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old May 17th, 2014, 11:01 AM
Captain

Exclamation http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/baggage/default.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post
Dannyboy, is there a copy and paste issue here? I don't see the difference between 9 x 14 x 22 and 14 x 9 x 22. I don't see the change in the carry on policy.

The carry-on size restriction has be reduced 2.5 linier inches on May 8th, 2014.

Green Road, just be careful, It appears that US Airways, Delta and American may follow United new policy.

I was at Costco to purchase a new light weight poly-carbonate carry-on suite case with no exterior zippers and a built-in lock after reviewing the notice I received from United Airlines.

I have had past problems with missing items being removed from zippers with soft sided biolistic Cardura luggage.

I am flying 1st class to East, then Business Class to Europe and the new restrictions still impact me.

Every carry-on sold at the Costco was 2.5 inches larger then the new size restriction.
I also went online at walmart.com, same issue.

United's new policy below.

United Airlines - Baggage Information | Baggage Policy
Old May 26th, 2014, 02:13 PM
Captain

Thumbs up American/US Airways Carry-on policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyboy View Post
The carry-on size restriction has be reduced 2.5 linier inches on May 8th, 2014.

Green Road, just be careful, It appears that US Airways, Delta and American may follow United new policy.

I was at Costco to purchase a new light weight poly-carbonate carry-on suite case with no exterior zippers and a built-in lock after reviewing the notice I received from United Airlines.

I have had past problems with missing items being removed from zippers with soft sided biolistic Cardura luggage.

I am flying 1st class to East, then Business Class to Europe and the new restrictions still impact me.

Every carry-on sold at the Costco was 2.5 inches larger then the new size restriction.
I also went online at walmart.com, same issue.

United's new policy below.

United Airlines - Baggage Information | Baggage Policy

American Airlines & US Airways are also 45 Liner inches with a $100 fees for being over-size on your carry-on. The weight limit is 40 lbs., if you are over 40 lbs., you will have an additional charge.
You are allowed one personal item with the carry-on item, everybody reading this should look up details on the airline they are flying.
Old May 26th, 2014, 06:30 PM
Admiral

I may get flamed for saying this but can you blame them? Have you seen what people are bringing on the planes nowadays?

Luggage that's simply way too big to be a carry -on stuffed in the overhead bins.
Not a fan of of any of the charges I'm just saying people have gone a little overboard these days.

ALLURE, 2/21/16 *Last Gang Cruise*
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Sweet Escape BVI Charter 2015
Old May 27th, 2014, 01:20 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogirl View Post
I may get flamed for saying this but can you blame them? Have you seen what people are bringing on the planes nowadays?

Luggage that's simply way too big to be a carry -on stuffed in the overhead bins.
Not a fan of of any of the charges I'm just saying people have gone a little overboard these days.
I agree with you. So many people boarding bring on two HUGE carryons, duffel bags, hard sided suitcases that are much bigger than the allowed carryon size. But, I blame the airline for allowing these people to bring on larger than allowed carryon's. The airlines need to enforce their carryon policies and then they would not have to decrease the size allowance for a normal carryon. If everyone had to gate check their carryon's because they are too large, people would learn fast. And if you argue about your too big carryon being gate checked....then you get kicked off the flight without reimbursement. Exceptions only for medical and medically necessary equipment (wheelchairs and scooters should be gate checked as well.)
Old May 27th, 2014, 08:55 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogirl View Post

I agree with you 100%.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13
Vision OTS 2-14-2015

Booked Allure of the Seas... 2 / 21 / 16 *Last Gang Cruise*
Booked Celebrity Equinox ... 4 / 4 / 16 *Anniversary cruise *
Old May 28th, 2014, 01:08 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
I agree with you 100%.

TM

Ditto;

On a recent flight a passenger was livid because she thought her bag should be able to get in the overhead but it was so big (even thought it was a larger sized carry-on) there was no way it was going to. The steward allowed her to "try" but after many failed attempts, she gave in and had to check it. God only knows how much it weighed?????
Inspiration -09/05
Mariner-05/06 & 10/09
Century-01/07
Crown-04/07
Liberty-11/07
Explorer-08/08
Insignia-11/08
Destiny-07/09
Oasis Inaugural Cruise-12/09
Monarch-03/10 & 07/10
Equinox-08/10
Freedom-02/2012
Mariner; RSS- 10/12
Jewel-12/12 b2b
Independence-12/13
Enchantment- 01/14
Legend-TA- 04/14
Freedom OTS-10/14
Infinity, 05/2015
Old June 5th, 2014, 08:55 AM
Captain

Thumbs up Luggage fees $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
I agree with you. So many people boarding bring on two HUGE carryons, duffel bags, hard sided suitcases that are much bigger than the allowed carryon size. But, I blame the airline for allowing these people to bring on larger than allowed carryon's. The airlines need to enforce their carryon policies and then they would not have to decrease the size allowance for a normal carryon. If everyone had to gate check their carryon's because they are too large, people would learn fast. And if you argue about your too big carryon being gate checked....then you get kicked off the flight without reimbursement. Exceptions only for medical and medically necessary equipment (wheelchairs and scooters should be gate checked as well.)

All the airlines are enforcing the baggage policies both checked & carry-on $$$

I remember when I was flying on the Jet Blue "ALL YOU CAN FLY" air pass.
Valid for 30-days with unlimited flights to any hub with no restrictions in 2009 for $600, sorry to say, they were great in 2009 & 2010 changes were made, but still great.

All the passes from 2011 to current suck with all the restrictions.
Anyway I was flying from Orlando to Dominican Republic, a family of 6, Dad, mom, & four children were at the boarding gate with at least 4-items each.

They were stopped at the boarding gate, I did not wait to see what the outcome was, I did notice they were the last to board and only had 1-item each and there was no over-head stowage left., the kids had to put a few items under there seat.

What comes around, goes around.
Old June 5th, 2014, 09:49 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Yes, it is so true, just a few passengers can take advantage of bring on carry-on, to save on checking, that it is tough on the rest of us, that say within the limits...I rarely use any overhead storage, mainly because I can store my carry-on under the seat and there is, in most cases, no room in the overhead...I would of thought the space over your seats, was your space to use, many stuff their things anywhere, even if it is for the person under that space??

Message Boards Moderator