Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 5th, 2014, 02:31 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Wow - Amazon same-day delivery, $6.00!!!!

Yesterday I needed a new multimeter (electronic component meter), so I went to Amazon. I started pricing them and I saw that they actually offer same day delivery if you order by (say) 10:00 am.

So I ordered a new meter, and a few other soldering tools and they were at my house by 5:00 that afternoon. Delivery charge $6.00 !!!!!!

Fedex would have charged me $40 (i made that up, but it is a lot) for "next day by 10:00 am" delivery if I had gone to many other places.

BTW: Amazon is now also doing Sunday deliveries. They carry everything, they had a larger multimeter selection than Fry's Electronics. And with same day delivery it's easier than getting in the car. I am just floored.

This is really "the day" when online shopping makes real-life obsolete - when there no longer any reason to go outside your door. And BTW: I wasted hours driving around looking for a multimeter. Ace Hardware had a couple, Radio Shack had a couple; none at Best Buy, WalMart or Costco (it seems to me Costco used to carry good meters).

Real-world retail is a dying thing, it seems to me. Why go out to Penny's when you can ship online at J. Crew?

And talk about WalMart being big - but full of junk. They had literally 1000 different shell casing options for iPhones - from chartreuse to indigo splatter - but not 1 basic electronic test meter. Amazon is where we should shop, driving around to look for something is a big waste of time these days.

You know - Amazon even carries music gear. Like that drive pedal someone noticed on ebay for $5009 yesterday, that was also listed at Amazon, but next to it was a link that said "Three used for $199" - and they were for real. If you wanted to buy one new it was $299, and you can get same-day delivery.

Just amazing.
Sponsored Links
Old June 5th, 2014, 03:48 PM
Admiral

I probably do 95% of my shopping online and usually with Amazon or at least through them since so many online stores use Amazon to fill their orders. It's gotten to where I hate walking into stores. The parking, the crowds, wasting time looking for what I want, it just makes me unhappy. I buy clothes, shoes, even some grocery items, with Amazon. And of course, things like electronics, computer gear, kitchen appliances.

Our UPS and Fedex route drivers know me on a first name basis because they are doing deliveries so frequently. My Amazon Prime account is well worth the price.
Old June 5th, 2014, 04:06 PM
Familiar Face

I love Amazon! I do the majority of my shopping through them. They are trying to make Best Buy obsolete by offering same day service. They know we Americans are an impatient bunch. They just started the grocery delivery in my area.
Old June 5th, 2014, 04:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Location: Indiana in the middle of a farmer's former cornfield.

Another Amazon Prime member here. You don't even need to leave the house to purchase gift cards as they carry them for most of the major stores and restaurants. I also have purchased repair items such as a rebuild kit for an outside freeze proof facet or a replacement dusk to dawn switch for an outdoor light post. Can't imagine going into a Lowes or Home Depot and finding an employee who knows what the heck I'm talking about!

Keith & Rita Ann

Fast dancing is the second best form of exercise,
slow dancing leads to the first!

Last edited by ksmithcci; June 5th, 2014 at 05:19 PM.
Old June 5th, 2014, 05:06 PM
Admiral

There is one local business that benefits from my Amazon usage. The recycling place that gets all the cardboard boxes.
Old June 5th, 2014, 06:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Wow, the only major draw back for me when ordering on-line is the wait, but for $6.00, you can hardly drive to the store for that, amazing...

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 5th, 2014, 09:00 PM
Admiral

Default Wow - Amazon same-day delivery, $600

There's always gotta be a dissenter! I prefer shopping in stores. It's much more fun, to me. There's no wait, and I know right then if something doesn't fit or doesn't look good. If you order on line (or in a catalog, for that matter), you wait forever for them to get it and wait some more to get a new size.

Keith has a soap that he loves. Tried to get it on Amazon today, and they didn't have it.

Judy
Old June 6th, 2014, 03:52 PM
Admiral

I love Amazon. I love Amazon especially during the holiday season. I hate shopping in overcrowded stores. Ugh.
Old June 12th, 2014, 06:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Amazon is building a distribution center here in Lakeland. I was hearing on the local news that since they will have a presence here in Florida then Floridians will have to pay the sales tax on online purchases.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old June 12th, 2014, 07:49 PM
Administrator
Admiral

My wife and I use Amazon a lot. The Amazon Prime is worth it just for the free shipping on a number of items.

We were cruising last week and the retractable handle on a High Sierra, rolling backpack, that I purchased in February broke on the way home. I called Amazon and it was too late to return it but they put me in touch with the company that makes High Sierra and lo and behold they are sending me a new one. They are over $100. That's good customer service.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 17th, 2014, 04:04 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Funny, I also had a handle break on some luggage my wife had bought on QVC. They couldn't fix it, but they sent me a new one.

My wife would always say "Don't lift it by the roller handle, it will break!" I always thought "Hey, I'm not the only one who would ever do that - surely they know enough to make it strong enough"

For once she was right and I was wrong. Unbelievable!
Old June 17th, 2014, 05:24 PM
Admiral

I read a report the other day about how the efforts in many States to force Amazon and the others to collect sales tax has backfired in many places, with Amazon suddenly dropping legal challenges and agreeing to collect the tax. They instead will be building more distribution centers near population centers to retaliate. The logic being, if they have to collect sales tax they may as well have a physical presence there and then do the same-day delivery, as Paul discovered with his multi-meter.

Same day delivery was called 'the holy grail' in the report I read, and Amazon has the size and money to make it happen, much to the chagrin of many regional and local stores who pushed the original sale tax requirements for online sales.
Old June 17th, 2014, 05:41 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I just heard that Amazon will be anouncing its own smartphone tomorrow (they also sell a Kindle, you may recall). A lot of analysts are predicting it will "bomb" but it is going to have a cool feature - by using four corner mounted cameras it is going to give you a 3-D effect when you look at it - I guess for all kinds of content.

The camera make it possible to track your eyeballs, which allows them to adjust the "3D" image as you move the phone side to side.

One drawback - the carrier will be AT&T, but if you have Amazon Prime (which I do and got in at the lower price) you get to watch the content free on your phone.

Another they say it will do is if you are out shopping and happen to see something you like you can just hold up the phone and Amazon will show you its price for the same item and you can buy it online.

Hard to say which way this will go, I guess it depends on price. Probably means Kindles could get new models soon, too.
Old June 17th, 2014, 05:42 PM
Administrator
Admiral

BTW: the same report I saw cited Google Shopping also offering same day delivery, but so far only in NYC and (I think) Chicago or maybe San Fran.
Old June 17th, 2014, 06:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Wow, some amazing features on these "new" phone....believe it or not, I still have an old flip phone that stays in my car for emergencies.....

Message Boards Moderator