CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Computer Keyboards (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/402506-computer-keyboards.html)

Paul Motter June 6th, 2014 05:54 PM

Computer Keyboards

I just noticed the number pad on a computer keyboard is opposite what it is on a telephone - where 1 is at the top instead of the bottom. Why?

I am one of the world's fastest two-fingers typists, but there certain things I would change about the layout of a keyboard because it would be easier - but even worse: I keep making the same errors and have to fix them constantly.

For example - Which do you use more, ? or / - so why is the ? a shift key? Which do you use more? [ or ( - so why didn't they put ( on a non-shift key?

But here is my nemesis - the effing ' sign. I keep hitting ; when I type a contraction and I can;t seem to stop doing it. I fix these 1000 times/day - and it;s making me insane....

Also - what is with the caps lock key? How often do we really need that compared to how often we have go back and retype entire paragraphs just because it was on by accident?

Paul Motter June 6th, 2014 05:55 PM

When was the last time you needed the NUMLOCK key?

kandajones June 6th, 2014 06:24 PM

I've just been given a new laptop at work & it is driving me crazy!!
I used to have a Lenovo Thinkpad & it worked just fine, but along comes the Windows "upgrade" and suddenly I need a new laptop, and where the return, backspace, up/down, end etc used to live to the right hand side, these have all moved & suddenly up/down is where enter used to be, "home" is where backspace used to be, so you're typing away, need to backspace, and do so automatically, you suddenly realize that you are now typing in the middle of the text you had already written - arrgghhhh!!!

Why would they do this to me :confused: :cry:

However if you really want to freak someone out, get them a French style keyboard, okay so some of the language characters are different, but where you may be used to QWERTY they have this ..
AZERTYUIOP
QSDFGHJKLM
WXCVBN?

Good game ;)

Alan or should that be Qlqn

Dave Beers June 6th, 2014 08:42 PM

Perhaps the most useful high school course I took was Typing and I think I took two semesters of it. At the end I was in the 90-100 wpm area usually, sometimes faster, and that was on a manual Underwood office typewriter. Of course time and arthritis onset have taken their toll on that speed and these days, using a computer keyboard I am probably around 50 wpm, but who really cares? But I am still a competent touch typist using all fingers and don't look at the keyboard.

More and more I am using voice operation to make text messages since the technology is pretty good. I do think we are getting closer to keyboards being a thing of the past for computers and really in most applications.

CruisinK n J June 6th, 2014 09:37 PM

Computer Key Board

I am, and always have been, the world's worst typist. Dave Beers, you surely brought back some unhappy memories. I remember those old typewriters and the IBM Selectric much later. I got a D in typing!

Judy

rollerdonna June 7th, 2014 07:46 AM

Having taken basic typing in high school (on real old fashioned typewriters!) I have the basics for using a computer keyboard. What bothers me is using my notepad and having to stylus type everything, and even though I am a good speller and a grammar Nazi, the stupid thing keeps autocorrecting my typing because a word is unfamiliar. Also it puts apostrophes where they don't belong, or takes them out when I put them in, leaving me with "hell" instead of he'll, and "he'll" instead of hell.
I live and work near a town called Stellarton, not such a strange name, but every time I type it, I get "Stellar tonight".

donna

AR June 12th, 2014 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Motter (Post 1501794)
I just noticed the number pad on a computer keyboard is opposite what it is on a telephone - where 1 is at the top instead of the bottom. Why?

Quite simple: the number pad matches the number pad on adding machines, pocket calculators and every other device ever built that was designed to input math. You're much more likely to input arithmetical strings on a computer than you are to dial a phone. Accountants and bookkeepers understand this perfectly and are completely comfortable with the layout.

Quote:

I am one of the world's fastest two-fingers typists, but there certain things I would change about the layout of a keyboard because it would be easier - but even worse: I keep making the same errors and have to fix them constantly. For example - Which do you use more, ? or / - so why is the ? a shift key? Which do you use more? or - so why didn't they put on a non-shift key?

Irrelevant. The ? is right where it always has been since I learned to touch type in ninth grade. Using the shift key is part of typing. You just do it. It's not even a conscious thing.

Quote:

But here is my nemesis - the effing ' sign. I keep hitting ; when I type a contraction and I can;t seem to stop doing it. I fix these 1000 times/day - and it;s making me insane....

Keep workin' at it. You'll catch on eventually.

Quote:

Also - what is with the caps lock key? How often do we really need that compared to how often we have go back and retype entire paragraphs just because it was on by accident?

If you were a touch typist this would never happen because you would never look at the keyboard. Instead you'd be looking at the screen all the time and would never type more than a few letters in upper case by accident.

The overall answer to your woes is simply that the basic keyboard was not designed for two-finger typists, no matter how fast. And remember that technically, when it comes to determining speed, there are penalties for errors which, from what you said, would make you a pretty slow typist on a net basis. The keyboard was designed for touch typists and has worked quite well in that respect forever. Touch typists generally don't even think about the things that drive you nuts, because they're non-issues.

My own gripes are about the ergonomics of smaller keyboards, from laptops on down. They're flat with small keys. I put up with my tablet when I travel, because the overall size tradeoff is worth it since I don't do any serious writing on the road. Just e-mails and notes. Typing on telephones? Out of the question. Won't do it. But when I actually sit down to write, it's at my desktop with the large screen and a proper keyboard. In that environment the mechanics never get in the way and the words go from my mind to the screen.

Mike M June 13th, 2014 03:06 PM

If you are a touch typist then it really isn't a problem. The main keys are the same as they've always been.

I use to do a lot of programming and the old terminals and CRT had the standard keyboard. You get very familiar with the shift key, num lock, and PF, now F, keys.

The only thing that bothers me about a ten key pad on the right is that it offsets the rest of the keyboard. I want my keyboard and mouse at the center of the machine and not moved to the left. I get use to it in about five minutes.

Small keyboards bug me. My Asus netbook is my nemesis. The keys are too small for my fingers. The add-on keyboard for my Microsoft Surface Pro2 is just fine but I am not a good screen typist. Which may be a good thing because it keeps me from saying "too much" online when I use it. :) Like Donna, auto correct drives me crazy and has made for a few interesting posts.

I took one full year of typing in high school. My nephew once asked me what was the class, in high school, that helped me most in my career. My response was "A full year of typing." I wasn't joking. As a rookie computer operator, the ability to sit down at a terminal and type made the learning process so much easier. It also helped in programming and later with all the paperwork of an executive.

I hope your frustrations subside and you become acclimated to the keyboard.

Take care,
Mike

Paul Motter June 13th, 2014 04:15 PM

I did take a semester of typing in high school, and it really frustrated me. I think we all have to come to understand there are some things we can do well - and some we can't. I quit after the start of the second semester and I never again tried to learn.

Needing to type, however, I quickly learned my style of typing, which works fine for me in most cases. I do wish the caps lock key would go away, however.