Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 17th, 2014, 12:38 PM
Familiar Face

Exclamation Warning, warning for all members...

I got a very strange email from a "Scotty" although it was signed "Ian", saying he was in urgent distress and asked a tech savvy friend to research it for me.

He replied that the email address is from a John Martin who is a member here. I tried to use the private Yahoo messanger on here to warn him either his email was hacked or someone is somehow able to send emails looking as it's from his but haven't been able to do so. It could be John Martin is not a real person.

My advice is if you are on a website that has their own mailboxes like here or as OFTEN (sigh) in my case, a dating site, always use the mailboxes on those sites NOT your private one, until you really get to know someone and do NOT put yours in your profile here or on a cruisemate request.

Men on dating sites used to give me their emails wanting me to contact them on that, and thinking that they did because they couldn't write on those sites from work-where often those sites were blocked (or so my friend says which is when most men write ) I did, thus exposing my email to strangers.

Has anyone else gotten that strange email or others like that traced to members here? I've gotten similar others, that sound like they are from Nigerian scammers.

I got a email once from a friend which said she was stranded and needed money but I noticed the email address was a little off (and hearing of these scams before) contacted her and she was o.k. but she told me that some other of her friends were trying to get the money together. I hope it wouldn't happen to me because I'd probably find out MY friends wouldn't do that (LQIM sadly!)

Last edited by evagoblog; July 17th, 2014 at 01:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2014, 01:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Yes, I've heard of these scams among others....I've also had people get into my e-mail....A good warning to beware and also change Passwords from time to time.

Message Boards Moderator