Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

Old August 12th, 2014, 03:29 AM
Admiral

Default Hi All...

Sorry I've not been around much just very busy with my Facebook group...
A subject came up about cruiseline beds...now I have found most to be hard & unsupporting, I have seen a few comments about egg box type toppers & foam on here so I wondered do people here find the beds uncomfortable?...I ask because on my group the feeling is cruiseship beds are wonderfully comfortable & this is so far away from my experience.
Old August 12th, 2014, 04:05 AM
Admiral

Good morning John, good to see you back.
Although we have never had a bad bed, then best ones we ever had are on the Cunard ships, they are from Sealy & there is even a Cunard/Sealy website where you can buy the beds and/or mattress. It doesn't say if it comes with someone who will make it each day or leave chocolates though

See Welcome to Cunard Sealy for details and prices

History:
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Royal, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(3), Britannia, Oceana(4), Oriana(13), Ventura(3), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(8), QE, Caronia(2)
Oceania Nautica, Minerva, Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade(2), =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam, Aza.Journey, CMV Magellan, MSC Magnifica, MV Emanuel, Viking River
Old August 12th, 2014, 07:39 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Some are good and some are REALLY bad. The beds on NCL in the early and mid 2000's were terrible and I always asked for an egg crate topper. Around 2005-2006 cruise lines got the idea that people want better beds.

It wasn't until our last cruise, in June 2014, on the Carnival Glory, that I again had a bad bed. This one seemed to be just worn out. There were no egg crates available so we just tolerated it.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 12th, 2014, 08:16 AM
Admiral

We have, in the past, asked for egg crate toppers, and they were fine, but more recently haven't needed them because we find the bedding most comfortable. This was on Princess and Holland America.

donna
Old August 12th, 2014, 09:27 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

How nice to see you once agan! Once the lines realized good bedding was trendy, things started to change. I too have had the good with the bad, even curved edge bed!

Word to the wise....if you feel you need an egg crate topper..DO NOT WAIT to ask for one..they go poof very quickly!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 12th, 2014, 12:11 PM
First Mate

We have found some of the beds on Princess to be just awful. We've asked for egg crates and even once took on our own mattress topper. Last cruise on Celebrity there were no issues.
Old August 12th, 2014, 12:57 PM
Admiral

This past cruise on Breeze I thought the bed was a little too hard for my liking , it wasn't a bad mattress just a little too firm but I will admit I slept really good.
Old August 12th, 2014, 01:00 PM
Admiral

Before Royal Caribbean changed to their new beds theirs were terrible. It was definitely a bad bed. They would put two beds together and a egg crate over the two. The two beds would sometimes slide apart and you could feel the gap in the middle. The new beds that they have now are very comfortable. No more gaps. They have twin, queen and king size beds. You can also purchase the beds through their website if you want one at home.

Liberty OTS 4/2018
Symphony OTS 11/2018
Navigator OTS 12/2018
Adventure OTS 3/2019
Old August 12th, 2014, 05:21 PM
Admiral

I took a memory foam topper on my last cruise...the bed wasn't bad as such but it was better with more support, people think hard = support...the floor is hard but we don't sleep on that!
Thanks for the replies & nice to "see" you all again