Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

Old June 20th, 2015, 08:57 AM
Admiral

Default Norwegian Getaway Cruise Part 2

Norwegian Getaway Cruise June 6-13 2015 Part 2

The weather on Day 2 of our Caribbean cruise was not very nice. The Miami clouds seemed to have followed us, and it rained off and on all morning, and the seas were rather choppy.
Wanting to avoid the main dining room and the Garden Cafe, we chose another option for breakfast, Savor, a smaller, quieter, more intimate dining venue, open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. There was still piped in music but it was a little quieter than the other dining areas, the food was hot and very good, and the service very attentive. Savor, and its twin site across the hall, Taste, became our go-to dining spots for the rest of the week.

Every morning during the week at 9:30 there was General Trivia in the atrium area. Hosted by a changing roster of entertainment staff, questions were read out loud and also posted up on the giant screen for those who had trouble understanding the varied accents of our hosts (Spanish, Mexican, Columbian, Filipino), a fact that was good naturedly joked about by the hosts themselves. We won this particular game with the help of a very nice lady from Memphis Tennessee, who joined us for many trivia games throughout the week. Prizes were not much to write home about, but we had fun!

At 10:00 there was a $10 item sale in the main shopping area, with kiosks set up in the hallway. It was an absolute madhouse, loud, crowded, chaotic, so many people grabbing for bargains it was like Black Friday. I couldn't wait to get out of there.
Wandering the ship became the order of the day, as it was pouring rain outside for most of the morning. The Oceanfront, a popular outside walking track, outside bar and restaurant area, comfortable seating area, and chess playing area, was a little too wet this morning to enjoy.

We did manage to find a quiet spot to read outside the Sugar Cane bar, with comfy seating, a view of the sea, and an overhang to protect us from the rain.

Our peace and quiet was short-lived however, when the piped in music started up around 11:00, too loud to concentrate on our books. This became a pattern throughout the week, trying to find a peaceful spot to sit that didn't have loud music, recorded or live, to disturb you.
We gave the Garden Cafe a second chance for lunch, but regretted that decision. Still crowded, still noisy, and our hot food was cold, and the choices were minimal. We did manage to enjoy a swirly ice cream cone for dessert though.
It was Trivia time again at 1:15 at the standing room only Sugar Cane bar. I'm sure the crowds weren't coming for the prizes, just for the fun.
The weather finally cleared up and we ventured outside to the main pool area, and that is where we could see just how crowded this ship really was. There was some kind of pool game going on, a men’s hairy chest contest I think, and there was not a spot to be found anywhere in the pool area. Not to mention the racket of the announcing and the dance music accompanying this spectacle.

We wandered up 2 levels to check out the water slides, the rope works/zip-lining/trampoline/walk the plank/rock climbing wall/mini-golf area, where I had hoped to try at least one of these activities.

Sadly, it was so jam packed, over-run with kids, with no kind of organization, just fighting the crowds was enough for us to go up another deck in search of a quieter spot to lie in the sun. We did find a spot way up on deck 17, but there was still a lot of foot traffic, and the loud music from the pool area was still loud even 2 decks away. And that was only the DJ music. Soon the live band came back, playing Latino dance music, and they were twice as loud. We eventually retreated to our stateroom which was thankfully sound-proof!

We returned to Savor for dinner this evening, where they feature the same menu as the main dining room. My choice of Szechuan Chicken, and James' choice of Pot Roast with Scalloped Potatoes were both excellent, and our desserts, Chocolate Volcano Melting Cake, and a Banana Split were scrumptious.

Not keen on seeing the big production show Burn the Floor, a ballroom dance extravaganza set to Latin music, we sought out some quieter entertainment. We found it in the atrium, with pianist/singer Chris Wade who was doing a repertoire of Elton John tunes this evening. In the middle of his performance there was the unmistakable "bing bong" of the Captian's announcement, and all went silent. The Captian called a Code Adam port side, (at least I think it was Adam, but it was definitely a code). Several security staff rushed off in a hurry, and the pianist assured us all that the code meant "Man Overboard", but that all the crew were highly trained for such an event, then promptly went on playing.
The Captain came on again a little later saying that he was going to turn the ship around in a rescue attempt, and some time later the announcement came that the rescue was successful and the passenger survived. This was met with a round of applause from all the audience in the atrium. Life at sea, never a dull moment!

Still in the atrium, at 9:00, the cruise director Joel hosted the Newlywed, Not So Newlywed game show, which proved to be funnier than any comedian. We then ended the evening one deck up, at the Sugar Cane bar where Sandra and Thierry were performing some classic love songs. She, a very talented Filipino singer, and he, an accomplished pianist, were a delight to listen to while we relaxed with a late night glass of wine.

To be continued....

Last edited by rollerdonna; June 20th, 2015 at 09:14 AM.
Old June 20th, 2015, 03:06 PM
Admiral

Code Adam usually refers to missing child. When I worked at Walmart a code Adam meant every employee had to drop what they were doing and start searching, always someone would guard the doors to make sure no children left unattended.

I wonder if they first noticed them no longer around and later that they went overboard. Scary stuff. I read a couple weeks ago a lady fell off her balcony and her boyfriend jumped in after her. Neither have been seen since, he got some kind of award from Australia for bravery.

BOOKED: Holland Oosterdam May 25; 7N ship, 4N Anchorage, 6N Denali, 5N Denver
11 cruises in 2012, 90 nights at sea visiting 15 countries
8 cruises in 2013, 56 nights at sea visiting 7 countries
Old June 20th, 2015, 05:09 PM
Admiral

I heard through another passenger later that the "man overboard" was an older woman who had had an argument with her husband, and jumped. He had the presence of mind to throw a life preserver which was equipped with a light and a GPS, so that made the rescue easier.
Again, I'm not sure I heard "Adam", sometimes the PA system is distorted and hard to understand.

donna
Old June 20th, 2015, 08:16 PM
Admiral

RD, I'm enjoying your review, as usual. It's been a long time since we sailed NCL so I'm especially interested! Sounds like it would be too crowded and too loud for us "old people" !

I found this list on Carnival, but I think it applies to all ships:

Alpha = Medical Emergency usually a heart attack
Bravo = Fire
Delta = Damage to the ship
Papa = Some form of Pollution has occurred (Oil spill, etc)
Oscar = Man Overboard

Sierra = Call for Stretcher
Bright Star = Serious Medical Emergency death

Looking forward to your next chapter,
Fern
SunPrincess2006NCLDream&
CaribbeanPrincess2007NCLDawn&
IslandPrincess2008IslandPrincess&
GoldenPrincess2009CarnivalConquest&
GrandPrincess2010IslandPrincess&
GrandPrincess2011CarnivalMagic&
CarnivalDream2012IslandPrincess&
CarnivalMagic2013CarnivalLegend2014&
CarnivalMagic&CoralPrincess2015
CarnivalLiberty&CaribbeanPrincess2016
EmeraldPrincess2017 Island Princess2018
CoralPrincess2019
Old June 21st, 2015, 12:30 PM
Admiral

I too am enjoying this but think Getaway would be too crowded for me.
Old June 25th, 2015, 05:14 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Donna, as usual I am enjoying your review. In some things I get the feeling of Carnival on this Norwegian ship. Especially the blatant Melting Cake rip of from Carnival's signature desert. All that loud music would put me off for sure. No Serenity area for adults? The size of this ship would rule it out for me, too big and too crowded. I found my experience on Carnival Dream to be awful because of the size. Too much walking for me. Waiting 20 to 30 minutes to get in to dinner and in general waiting in line for everything because it was too crowded. I do like the dining choices that you describe. I would definitely go on a Norwegian cruise but would for me choose a smaller ship. Keep writing I am enjoying this.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old June 25th, 2015, 08:14 AM
Admiral

Laura, I haven't mentioned it yet, but yes, there is an option called The Haven, an area completely separated from the rest of the ship, very private, exclusive, and quiet, with their own pool and own restaurant and bar. It would be a great place to escape all the noise and crowds except that cabins in The Haven cost about $750 MORE than your average cabin.

donna
Old June 25th, 2015, 12:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I remember that they had that area for singles on another of their ships. I also remember there was a lot of discussion about it on CM. My impression was that I would not enjoy this for several reasons. I thought it was way over priced. Then the rooms were tiny compared to the normal rooms. I was also put off by the bathroom arrangement in these rooms. The sink was outside of the toilet area and the shower was also located elsewhere in the room. Why cannot all the bathroom components be in the bathroom? Imagine how many people that have not washed their hands had to open the door to get out to wash their hands. It makes no sense to me. If I were to travel on that ship I think I would rather pay double in a standard cabin. It seemed to be an area geared to the younger cruiser.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old June 29th, 2015, 09:21 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruznut2 View Post
I remember that they had that area for singles on another of their ships. I also remember there was a lot of discussion about it on CM. My impression was that I would not enjoy this for several reasons. I thought it was way over priced. Then the rooms were tiny compared to the normal rooms. I was also put off by the bathroom arrangement in these rooms. The sink was outside of the toilet area and the shower was also located elsewhere in the room. Why cannot all the bathroom components be in the bathroom? Imagine how many people that have not washed their hands had to open the door to get out to wash their hands. It makes no sense to me. If I were to travel on that ship I think I would rather pay double in a standard cabin. It seemed to be an area geared to the younger cruiser.
Laura
The Studio Cabins are very small cabins for solo travellers which has it's own lounge area and evening get togethers. They are very small, but they are built for for one, not two or more. The plus with the Studio cabin is that a solo traveller does not pay the single supplement, thus can cruise for much less money than if they booked another category of cabin. And many seniors do book them. Many people who book them have other family elsewhere on board, but some who are truly traveling solo and might not otherwise venture out alone, like the idea of the hosted evening events in the lounge where they can join others for dinners and shows if they choose to.

Last edited by Travelbuggs; June 29th, 2015 at 09:51 AM.
Old June 29th, 2015, 09:41 AM
First Mate

Donna, I wonder if the loud music is something new? I am not one to spend much time on the pool deck for just the reasons you describe. There are just too many other places to be, and things to be doing. Did you try the Adults Only Spice H20 area during the day as an alternative? I know there is live music on the pool deck, but I don't remember loud music elsewhere, especially on the Waterfront area, which was one of our favorite places to chill. And I have not yet heard this anywere else. Did you mention it at guest services or to any of the Senior Staff? Time to get this nipped in the bud.

And you are killing me with missing the Burn the Floor show! Probably one of the most enjoyable shows I have ever seen on a cruise ship. I could have sat through it twice. But the entertainment throughout the ship is great. I drove myself crazy trying to figure out how I was going to catch all of the great performers at the various areas of the ship on any given night.