Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

Old June 23rd, 2015, 09:32 PM
Admiral

Default Norwegian Getaway Part 6

Norwegian Getaway Part 6

Thursday was a sea day, so guaranteed to be crowded on board.
After a light breakfast we went to play morning trivia and came in 2nd place. As I mentioned before, the prizes were not much, just drink "koozies" and foldable frisbees, but we always had fun.

It may appear from this review that there was nothing much to do on board other than trivia, a few shows and dance parties and lying in the sun. Nothing could be further from the truth, it's just that those are the things we preferred to do over the many other options on the daily schedule.

For instance, on this day alone, there was a yoga class, an origami class, Carlo's Cake Class (from Cake Boss), bingo, ship tour, balloon twisting workshop, Olympic pool games, special deals in all the shops, not to mention all the physical activities available like rock climbing, rope works, trampoline, mini golf, basketball, jogging track and the gym. Lots to keep the kids busy and out of trouble, especially the kids' water park area.

Lots for many adults too, but we just wanted to relax, and sought out quiet spots to do so.

Our favourite spot was on Deck 8 midship, the Sugar Cane Bar, which had an indoor and outdoor area. We liked the outdoor area with the comfy cushioned rattan furniture and a view of the sea.

It was a great place to sit and read a book or watch the walkers go by, but most times it also had piped in music overhead that was annoying and distracting. The Getaway needs more "quiet spots".

Today we returned to O'Sheehan's Bar & Grill for lunch and weren't disappointed. I had some delicious chicken tenders with fries, while James really enjoyed his corned beef & cabbage soup. We wished we could come back for dinner this day because they were advertising a special "Ribs Night" that looked tempting, but we had a reservation for the specialty French restaurant that night.
After lunch I had to get a few hours of sunshine and relaxation in, so I headed out to the upper deck above the pool with ear plugs this time, because the noise from the pool games, dancing, live band etc. were just unbearable. If you look closely at this photo you can see the ear plug poking out of my ear!

Something else I should mention here, when we booked this cruise, there was a special offer on free amenities, and one of the choices was a free drink card for the week. This came in very handy because we never had to pay for a drink all week, including Coke and wine, and I got to try the Drink of the Day every day by the pool. This one was called the "Blue Lagoon."

Dinner this evening was at Le Bistro, the specialty French restaurant with a $20 cover charge. It was worth every penny.

One of their features was Veuve Cliquot champagne but at $10.95 a glass, it was not covered on our drink card, so we made do with our usual wine.

The atmosphere was nice and relaxed, with quiet music conducive to dining. Service was friendly and attentive, and the food simply marvellous. I chose French Onion Soup (best I've ever had), and the Rack of Lamb (delicious). James had the Creamy Mushroom Soup that he said was the best musroom soup he'd ever had, and an 8 oz. Filet Mignon which he succeeded in finishing.
I don't know where we put it, but we ordered a dessert of chocolate fondue that came with strawberries, bananas and pineapple served in a scooped out half a pineapple "bowl". It was heavenly!

I would highly recommend Le Bistro as a dining choice on board the Getaway.

After that delicious and very filling meal, we did some outdoor deck walking for a while, then headed indoors for the comedy show at Headliners. We saw a very funny comedian, Mark Viera and had some good belly laughs.

At 10:30 p.m. there was yet another outdoor Dance party at Spice H20, this one was called "Glow", apparently replacing the old one called "White Night."

There were lots of neon and white decorations, including banners everywhere, and giant inflated neon "dancing men".

The entertainment staff came out in full neon and white gear, and handed out glow sticks, necklaces, bracelets, and batons to everyone.

With the black lighting, and the light show from the big screen, and all the glow sticks,the whole place GLOWED!

The DJ was there of course, playing ear-shattering 2000's dance music, and the dance floor was so crowded all you could really do was jump up and down.

It was definitely a party atmosphere, but after about a half hour we had had enough of the noise and the crowd and departed for the Garden Cafe, where we enjoyed a late night snack of pizza (very good) and a drink, then headed off to to our room for some peace and quiet and a fairly early bedtime of 11:00.

To be continued...

Last edited by rollerdonna; June 23rd, 2015 at 10:14 PM. Reason: photos
Old June 24th, 2015, 10:43 PM
Admiral

Oh yes. NCL has the best soup!
Old June 25th, 2015, 07:59 PM
Admiral

RD, the cruise line's should hire you to write reviews ! They're always so interesting and informative, yet you sound like you're talking to a friend!

We enjoy your photo's, too. When I see the little children onboard it makes me think how very lucky they are. There's no way my parent's could have taken a cruise like this until I was out of the house (even then, it took them about 10 years). Spending one night in a hotel while Daddy worked was "big time" for us!

Thanks for your picture's and review,
SunPrincess2006NCLDream&
CaribbeanPrincess2007NCLDawn&
IslandPrincess2008IslandPrincess&
GoldenPrincess2009CarnivalConquest&
GrandPrincess2010IslandPrincess&
GrandPrincess2011CarnivalMagic&
CarnivalDream2012IslandPrincess&
CarnivalMagic2013CarnivalLegend2014&
CarnivalMagic&CoralPrincess2015
CarnivalLiberty&CaribbeanPrincess2016
EmeraldPrincess2017 Island Princess2018
CoralPrincess2019
Old June 29th, 2015, 12:34 PM
First Mate

Glad you got to experience a specialty restaurant. We usually visit 3 or 4 during our cruise and it can really enhance your experience. We love Cagneys, Moderno and Le Bistro.

about your comment re the drinks card and your bypassing a $10.95 drink because it was not covered. The package covers drinks up to and including $11.00, so if would have been free. Maybe you meant it was 11.95? If so, you would only be charged the difference of .95 cents. Just thought I'd mention it, since some might not be aware of this. It really does give you the opportunity to sample things you might not otherwise.