Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

Old June 26th, 2015, 09:17 PM
Admiral

Default Norwegian Getaway Part 7

Norwegian Getaway Part 7

Here we are, Day 7 and the last day of our cruise, as we head into the Bahamas for a day in Nassau.

As we didn't dock in Nassau until 11:00, we spent a leisurely morning having breakfast, playing trivia (2nd place again), and enjoying our favourite spot by the Sugar Cane Bar. The ear plugs helped a little.

Once docked, we made our way off the ship for our planned excursion to Blue Lagoon. This required a very long walk along the pier to the ferry, which took us to Blue Lagoon Island.

What a beautiful place this is! A lovely white sand beach with a gentle slope into the clear turquoise water, and all sorts of floating mats, rafts, slides, bouncy things anchored in the water, as well as floats, and rings to sit on, all free of charge.

My husband who finds uneven ground difficult to keep his balance, was able to walk easily into the water and enjoy floating around on the giant mat. As for me, I spent the entire time at the beach lounging in the warm water and soaking up the sunshine.

We took a short break for lunch (included in the excursion price).

Located under a shady roof, but with open sides, the buffet style lunch included a choice of hot dogs, hamburgers, fries, BBQ chicken, corn on the cob, and either cookies or fresh fruit for dessert, plus a free drink of lemonade or punch. It was a very good lunch, but we couldn't wait to go back in the water!

The swimming area was located next to the Dolphin Encounter area where many more people were visiting. We could hear the dolphins screeching, and see them jumping in the air as they entertained their audience. I felt sorry for them, as they were enclosed in a very small area.

By 4:00 we were reluctantly back on the ferry, and arrived back at the ship by 5:00 after a very long, hot, tiring walk though a Nassau marketplace and a long pier. As we were dragging ourselves back to the ship, we suddenly became aware of the music - dancing music, loud and clear, and a circus-like atmosphere as we approached the gangway.

Our cruise director Joel was the first into view. You couldn't miss him because he was about 10 feet tall, up on stilts, waving and greeting returning passengers!

All his entertainment staff were lined up quay-side, dancing and high-fiving everyone as they passed. A few of them even had giant water guns with which they were spraying hot and tired passengers.

Then came the housekeeping staff, handing out ice cold and mint-scented facecloths to wipe our faces, and trays of little Jello cups, frozen yogurts, and cups of ice water or lemonade. Following them, a row of chefs, complete with their chef hats, handing out twisted balloon animals to all the children, and last but not least, the giant neon green inflatable dancing guy waving all over the place.

Pharrel William's song "Happy" was the theme song of this cruise, we heard it many times at many parties on board, but this was the best! I have never, in all my cruises seen such a welcome back display!
Of course, our pal Spongebob Squarepants was there too, dressed as a pirate, and posing for pictures with anyone who wanted one - like me!

Once on board, refreshed and smiling from ear to ear, we headed to the pool area to enjoy one last sail away. Our daily schedule said that there would be some Jimmy Buffett music at the sail away, and there was, along with some great oldies. It was a relief to hear some good music, at a decent volume, while I had one last swim in the pool and enjoyed one last drink of the day, a Tequila Sunrise.

After some hurried last minute packing, and another game of trivia - we won!, we had a late dinner in Taste, the twin restaurant to Savor. I had a delicious chicken parmesan with spaghetti, and James had a traditional British meal, bangers and mash, which was also very good.

After dinner we did some wandering of the main areas of the ship, taking some final photos of areas we never visited, like La Cucina the Italian restaurant, and the Ice Bar. We came on this cruise to get away from the cold, not to visit it!

We also visited the Photo Gallery, purchasing only one photo and a scrapbooking album. It was a madhouse on this final evening, with everyone wanting their pictures.
I have to mention here that Norwegian has come up with a novel idea for photo display. Instead of thousand of pictures posted up on the walls, and having to search for yours, they now assign you a number code on your room key/sail card, which corresponds to a vinyl binder, one of hundreds lining the shelves in the Photo Gallery. You just look up your numbered binder and all photos that were taken of you during the week will be in there. (Each photograpaher who takes your picture, also takes a photo of your card afterward). This process made it a lot less crowded in the gallery area and much easier to find your photos.

Unlike some ships we've been on where the last night tends to be quiet, not have much entertainment, and everyone goes to bed early, this was not the case on the Getaway. There was one last performance of Legally Blonde the broadway style show, there was piano entertainment in the atrium, Dueling Pianos in Headliners, karaoke, The Grammy Experience featuring Grammy award nominees, a movie, a game show, last minute shopping, the live band Latin Express, and a late night farewell dance party.
It seemed that everyone was out and about enjoying their last evening on board, and soon the crowds, the music, and the general noise just got to be too much, and we got oursleves a couple of glasses of wine and retreated to our room for some elusive peace and quiet.

This cruise was a study in contrasts. Although there were many wonderful things about it (service, entertainment, shore excursions, and fine dining), all the fun was overshadowed by the sheer volume of everything. Volume of live music, volume of piped in music, volume of passenger traffic in common areas. I understand that a cruise line tries to appeal to the masses, but that is a very wide range of ages and tastes, and there should be more variety in the music chosen other than the latest "hits". And please turn down the volume!

In summation, I would recommend the Getaway to those under 35, young people wanting to party, young families looking for great fun for the kids, or couples on their honeymoon. I would not recommend it for anyone middle aged to seniors, unless they are really young at heart. I had a lot of fun on the Getaway, I just wish it hadn’t have been so loud!

Last edited by rollerdonna; June 28th, 2015 at 09:34 PM.
Old June 26th, 2015, 10:03 PM
Admiral

On the Star the photo gallery is now a row of computers. Same system I guess but you pull up a digital photo gallery with your card. Huge space with a few computers and usually 3 people standing around doing nothing. A bit strange...

BOOKED: Holland Oosterdam May 25; 7N ship, 4N Anchorage, 6N Denali, 5N Denver
11 cruises in 2012, 90 nights at sea visiting 15 countries
8 cruises in 2013, 56 nights at sea visiting 7 countries
Old June 28th, 2015, 12:49 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Hi rollerdonna,
Loved your review! I was on the Getaway the week after you from June 13-20. I was in a Solo cabin and it was perfect. I've been on over 30 cruises and have enjoyed all. None were perfect but they all came close. I started on the Sitmar line in the early 80's and some of my favorites have been the Norway, Oasis of The Seas and the Royal Princess.
I would like to say that I'm sorry that more than one reader got a disappointing impression from your review. I lost count of the number of times you complained about the "noise" level. Crowded at times but so are land based party type gatherings. Regarding recommendations for age groups, etc. I'm glad you recognize the young at heart. I'm 72. Don't know how that happened. I'll be on the Escape in November.
Thank you for the review and the pictures. Really enjoyed your writing style also.
Gypsy
Old June 28th, 2015, 07:09 AM
Admiral

Thank you Gypsy.
I would love to be on the Escape, I heard about there being a Margaritaville at sea feature on it!

donna

Last edited by rollerdonna; June 28th, 2015 at 09:39 PM.
Old June 29th, 2015, 06:59 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Donna, As usual your review made me want to go and book a cruise right away. I am keeping Norwegian in mind but would not choose this ship. Way too big and crowded for me. The noise factor put me off also. Having been on another lines larger ships I learned that the larger more crowded ships mean a lot of time wasted standing in line. I am looking at the Dawn as a possibility for me. Thank you so much for making my coffee time so pleasant with your review. I enjoyed every installment.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old June 29th, 2015, 12:53 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsywanab View Post
Hi rollerdonna,
Loved your review! I was on the Getaway the week after you from June 13-20. I was in a Solo cabin and it was perfect. I've been on over 30 cruises and have enjoyed all. None were perfect but they all came close. I started on the Sitmar line in the early 80's and some of my favorites have been the Norway, Oasis of The Seas and the Royal Princess.
I would like to say that I'm sorry that more than one reader got a disappointing impression from your review. I lost count of the number of times you complained about the "noise" level. Crowded at times but so are land based party type gatherings. Regarding recommendations for age groups, etc. I'm glad you recognize the young at heart. I'm 72. Don't know how that happened. I'll be on the Escape in November.
Thank you for the review and the pictures. Really enjoyed your writing style also.
Gypsy
I agree. It appears that I am older than Donna, and although I have cruised on several of the smaller NCL ships, I much prefer the big new ships with tons of entertainment, dining venues and things to do. We all create our own cruise experiences based on our interests. Two people on the same ship can have totally different experiences. But I have to wonder why someone who says the noise level on the pool deck is too much would continue to go there? And my own balcony is always quiet. Her experience on the Getaway was not mine at alll, as we chose to see many of the shows and by the time the deck parties started, we were off to bed. But, Donna, you have encouraged me to stay up a bit longer and experience some of the parties. Will do this on the Escape in 2016.
Old June 29th, 2015, 04:40 PM
Admiral

I stayed at the pool (or pool area) simply because I love the pool. And I went to some of the dance parties because they were lots of fun, even though loud. My main objection to the noise was why did it have to be EVERYWHERE? There was no escape, even in areas that were supposed to be quiet, and in the main dining room I don't mind background music, but a live band? I just turned 60, and consider myself young at heart, but sometimes it was just too much volume.

donna
Old June 30th, 2015, 08:22 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerdonna View Post
I stayed at the pool (or pool area) simply because I love the pool. And I went to some of the dance parties because they were lots of fun, even though loud. My main objection to the noise was why did it have to be EVERYWHERE? There was no escape, even in areas that were supposed to be quiet, and in the main dining room I don't mind background music, but a live band? I just turned 60, and consider myself young at heart, but sometimes it was just too much volume.

donna
Not meant as a criticism of you, but just to illustrate that what one sees as a negative another sees as a positive, and there are usually ways to work around a "problem". We did do dinner in the Tropicana and sat right on the edge of the dance floor. I have to say we loved it. The music was not too loud and we really liked the variety of music they played and sang and watching others dance. We even got up there ourselves. Where else can we find a "supper club" type of place! And a table can be requested away from the floor if preferred. The room is quite large. I have seen people complain that they could barely hear the music from their dinner location..