Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

Old November 23rd, 2015, 09:45 PM
Admiral

Default Interesting jobs

What was the most interesting job you ever had ?

When I was in college I had a job working for a book binding company .The job was not that great but every Friday employees were able to take home as many bound books that they could carry .
Old November 24th, 2015, 06:02 AM
Captain

Default Interesting Job

Most Interesting, and at the same time, most dangerous.......pinsetter in a bowling alley. Going back a lot of years.
Old November 24th, 2015, 09:35 AM
Admiral

I was a movie extra for a day, still have the pay stub.

In HS I was the camera man for city council meetings. I know city politics better than most during that period of my life.

All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by; John Masefield
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014, 2016, 2018, Crown 2019
Sail Croatia 2018
Sail Windjammer: Mandalay 2017
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old November 24th, 2015, 09:47 AM
Admiral

My most interesting job was being a soldier in Vietnam. I learned a lot and saw things that I wish I had not seen.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011+4/4/2016
Independence 12/29/13
Vision OTS 2-14-2015
Freedom OTS 3/6/16
Old November 24th, 2015, 01:39 PM
Admiral

Default Extra

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post
I was a movie extra for a day, still have the pay stub.

In HS I was the camera man for city council meetings. I know city politics better than most during that period of my life.

I was a movie Extra twice .$10 for each film .I did not keep the pay stub .

Old November 25th, 2015, 07:47 AM
Captain

The job I still do....Truck Driver....I have driven all over 49 states and half of Canada and the job is new and exciting every day as you always see something different. I have been driving for 28 years and racked up over 3 million miles during that time. Yes, trucking can be a dangerous job! Traffic over the years has increased dramatically and the quality of drivers on the road has also decreased dramatically but I wouldn't want to do anything else. For the last 8 years my wife has joined me on the road and we team drive. We haul mostly military freight and have been to most of the bases in the U.S. and met many wonderful military personnel who work to keep our country free.

Caribbean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas 14
Carnival Splendor 15
Holland America Westerdam 15
Carnival Sunshine 16
Norwegian Pearl Alaska May 2017
Old November 25th, 2015, 04:13 PM
Admiral

In 2010 my wife and I were on a cruise and met and became friends with a couple from Virginia .He had been a school teacher who lost his job and was unable to find another job teaching ,He always wanted to become a truck driver and passed all the driving tests and has been driving and loving it ,so much that his son now drives as well.
Old November 25th, 2015, 05:25 PM
Admiral

Happy to say that everything I've even done has been interesting. When I was 14 I knew I wanted eventually be involved with film production, and I managed to break in as a projectionist at the movies. It was a craft back then, not just pushing a button like it is today (or having a computer push it for you). You learn a lot from seeing good films over and over, and almost as much from seeing bad ones.

Then while I was in high school I was hired to write sports for the local newspaper. That was hugely important--more so than I even knew at the time. I was paid by the column-inch, which did instill a bad habit or two, but my editor was excellent and encouraging, and it meant a lot.

In college I worked in radio and was a newsfilm stringer (cameraman) for WGN and other stations. After that my actual career of writing and producing and directing and shooting and editing films began in earnest.

An offshoot of that was that I became involved with international film festivals, and was invited to judge about a dozen of them over the years in countries far and wide. Very interesting.

And now I'm a webmaster for our Sherlock Holmes society here, and I've been doing that for five years. Lots of writing, research and fun.

And I can even lift Grandpappy's hammer.
Old November 25th, 2015, 10:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

When I was in my early teens I helped the local iceman deliver ice for people's iceboxes. We delivered by horse and wagon.

In high school I operated a elevator in a 8 story office building that had mostly doctor and dentist offices.

Have a happy & safe Thanksgiving

O F C'er
Old December 13th, 2015, 12:30 PM
Admiral

My current, long-term occupation, law enforcement, has been just that, interesting most days. Observing all walks of life, a person really cannot take for granted their own life. I can say I always think I have seen it all but then, something new arises and amuses me anew. It is incredible that some people can even pull a breath of air due to their circumstances and, tongue slightly in cheek, to their stupidity. One has to ask, are they stupid, ignorant, egotistical, or just plain lucky and fortunate? I am not saying this in a mean-spirited or condescending manner. It can fit those instances whether good or bad. Is the glass half empty or full? How did they survive that accident or wow, they survive that accident!

My unit is assigned to the Houston-Galveston US Coast Guard unit. Together, we patrol and view the Gulf Coast and, in my particular assignment, the Port of Houston. Recently, we received a call of a man in the water near a colossal cable-stayed bridge over the port waterway, (Fred Hartman Bridge to those interested). I used the closed circuit video system that the sheriff's office has and found the incident. A 16' pleasure boat had become mostly submerged near this bridge but, fortunately, close to the shore and out of the way of the ocean going freighters that traverse this waterway. The man was not in the water but.... his beer cooler was floating away from the boat... what a tragedy! So, this is an interesting case to illustrate what I am writing about. Wow, he is stupid to sink his boat near the shipping lane but WOW! he is fortunate to have gotten out alive but his beer is getting away!!!

In addition, this bridge is a very popular jumping off place, yes suicide, for people and I have actually seen people leaping to their death here. Tragic.

No fence to keep them from it. Could the powers that be put one up? Yes, but, they claim it would take away from the scenic view. A human life is not worth the price of the view. Bah.

Peace everybody!

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.