Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

Old January 3rd, 2017, 07:45 AM
Admiral

Default Konigsdam Cruise Part 10

Koningsdam Cruise Part 10
Thursday Dec. 22 Sea Day

On the morning of our last full day onboard, we had (pre-ordered) room service breakfast on our balcony. Light fruit and yogurt plates, along with a selection of croissants, danish and tea was just right. So much better than waiting and waiting in the dining room.

While James got an early start on packing, I decided to go to the main pool area for the morning, where it was not busy, and sadly, no sun, but I found a comfy quiet place to sit and read. Quite by accident I found a "sidewalk sale" going on at the far end of the Lido Pool deck, the usual collection of 2 for $20 T-shirts, beach cover ups, jewelry, bags, shawls, hats, etc. There was no advertising or even mention of the sale in the daily Navigator, and when they announced on the P.A. system that the Walk for the Cure was to begin at 10 a.m. I realized there had been no mention anywhere of that either. I always make a point of participating in this cancer fundraiser on every cruise, but by now it was too late to register. Again, lack of organization and communication on the Koningsdam.

We met for lunch in the Lido Market, which was good and with good service as well, followed by Team Trivia in the Crow's Nest at 1:30 where we played on a team with Shelley, David and Mitchell and our team won! We all got pins and packs of HAL cards which thrilled Mitchell as he is quite a fan of cards!

In the afternoon I spent some time at the aft pool but was bothered a lot by the smoking. I noticed that today, the end of our week, there were a few more Christmas songs sprinkled in with the usual piped in music by the pool, and even the steel drum guy at the main pool threw in a few Christmas tunes.
At 3:30 I took a break from the pool and met James and Mitchell's family in the Billboard lounge for a "Beatles Concert" by Emily and Jonathan, in conjunction with the unveiling of a limited edition Raymond Weir Beatles watch in the onboard jewelry shop. It had been promoted by a big poster all week, and the shop people were very excited to unveil this special watch. There were raffle tickets given out, not to win the watch (valued at $1,300.) but to be first to see it, and win a bottle of champagne. We did not win. The best part really, was listening to Emily and Jonathan's rendering of a selection of Beatles tunes.

At 5 p.m. (and this was listed in the daily Navigator!) there was a gathering in the tiny atrium to sing Christmas Carols. There were waiters serving hot (lukewarm) chocolate and cookies, and about 12 staff members surrounded the "gift tree" and sang 4 Christmas songs, ending with "Let it Snow" while other staff members up on levels 2 and 3 sprinkled fake snow down on us all.
"Santa" who was actually a guest, not a staff Santa, was there in his full long cloak and boots for photo ops with everybody. This lovely gentleman and his very real beard, was seen around the ship all week, usually in a bright red T-shirt that read "Yes, I AM him". He also had the coolest red and white patent leather dress Brogues I have ever seen! On formal nights he wore his long velvet cloak and boots and looked more like the real Santa than anyone I've ever seen. I had an opportunity earlier in the day to meet and talk with him while we were waiting in line at Guest Services, and he and his lovely wife (also in red) were a pleasure to talk with.

For our last dinner onboard, we gave up on the dining room and went to the Lido Market instead. It was quite busy, and for the first time all week, we found the offerings not very interesting, and I swear the roasted potatoes were re-heated from lunch, they were so hard.

After dinner we did some walking around the ship to take pictures of things we might have missed, like the gym which I had promised myself to visit every day and never went once. Passing through the Lido Pool area we sat that "Home Alone" was playing on the big screen, so we got comfortable on the cushioned deck chairs with blankets and pillows, and watched a little of that. This is becoming a bit of a tradition, that's exactly what we did last year on our Christmas cruise!

By 8:30 p.m. we headed for the World Theatre for a much touted feature show, Frozen Planet, a BBC documentary about the Arctic and Antarctica. It was a surround-screen visual display of stunning videography, accompanied by a 10 piece orchestra, including the 5 women on strings and piano. Quite impressive, but James found it boring, and I found it depressing; maybe it was the thought of going home to all that cold and snow....

We ended our final evening with a drink in Billboard, and to see Emily and Jonathan once more. The bar was not full, in fact there were no crowds anywhere, in the hallways or other lounges. I guess everyone was busy packing. We ran into Mitchell's family and said our last goodbyes, with hugs all around and promises to stay in touch. We were all looking forward to going home, but not to the cold!

To Be Continued.... Final impressions of the ship, and the adventure we had on the way home....
Photos can be viewed at: https://www.facebook.com/donna.belan...0547804&type=3
Old January 5th, 2017, 06:35 PM
Admiral

I bet he was really Santa !