Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 25th, 2017, 11:14 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Cuba

I need your help. I book cruise to Havana from Tampa, Florida. My question is , is ti mandatory to by excursion in order to see Havana or can you go alone. It is very confusing and if it is much or restriction is it wort in to cruise to Cuba.?
Sponsored Links
Old April 26th, 2017, 05:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb

I am booked on the Paradise for July 13,2017. I understand you have to go with a group, that is on an Excursion from the ship. The have a Visa as People to People.

In a few days we will be getting postive information from our Cruise Director Jaime Dee,.
She will be going to Cuba on May 2 to gather information on our visits to Cuba. So stand by till we hear from her.

Hope for the best.
Old April 26th, 2017, 06:01 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Thank you. My cruise is in September .
Old May 3rd, 2017, 01:22 PM
Admiral

Default Cuba tours

I just got word that the trip that Jaime Dee was scheduled to take to Cuba on May2 had been cancelled. So we wait for more info.
Old May 5th, 2017, 09:25 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayb View Post
I just got word that the trip that Jaime Dee was scheduled to take to Cuba on May2 had been cancelled. So we wait for more info.
Thank you. Please let me know if you find out something.
Old May 7th, 2017, 04:01 PM
Admiral

I'm on the Carnival Paradise June 29 cruise to Havana. U.S. citizens do not have to take an excursion bought from the cruise line in order to comply with the Person-to-Person exchange. You can do it on your own if you wish and there is a block on the affidavit for self-guided tour. For Carnival, they even tell you to check both the blocks for ship's tour and the one for self-guided since it gives you more latitude. However, you must be able to prove that you did something to comply with the legal requirement, should Immigration ask you when you return to the U.S.

The thing to note is you can leave the ship and not be on a ship's tour. The ship's excursions just make it simpler since it's packaged and already approved as meeting the Person-to-Person rule.

A friend just returned today from a Cuba cruise on Royal Caribbean. He said when his tour was done he was free to roam Havana to his heart's content, and also that nobody from U.S. Immigration or Customs asked him what he did in Cuba. He said that part of debarkation was no different than if the ship had gone to Mexico, other than he had to have the above mentioned affidavit. It was look at the passports, look at the Customs declaration, ask him if he had any booze or tobacco, welcome back to the U.S., next in line!

He also said the Cuban authorities were fine too, not stuffy or officious. For money exchange he bought Euros prior to his cruise since they had a better exchange rate in Cuba. Cuba assesses a 10% surcharge to exchange U.S. dollars but not for Euros, but both also have a 3% transaction fee, so they hit dollars for 13% but Euros for only 3%. You cannot get CUC's (the Cuban convertible peso used by tourists) prior to the visit since Cuban currency is not internationally exchanged. There is an exchange in the cruise terminal.
Old May 7th, 2017, 06:06 PM
Admiral

Dave Say Hello to Jaime, CD for me. I will be on the next cruise with her July 13.
Old May 7th, 2017, 08:56 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayb View Post
Dave Say Hello to Jaime, CD for me. I will be on the next cruise with her July 13.
Ray, I also have a surprise on my cruise. John Heald is going to be there too, since it's Carnival's first visit to Cuba. He's also hosting the excursion I am on (Top 10 Best Of Havana) so it's going to be a blast.
Old May 14th, 2017, 12:20 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Thank you David for information.