Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 31st, 2017, 08:22 PM
Admiral

Default Cell Phone Thread

I am SO far out of the loop on cell phone's that I can't even SEE the loop .
I bought a "new android phone" that has no extra space. I put in a 32 GB SD card that I can see, but I can't use . I've even talked to my Grandson about this and he is so far ahead of me that he can't help!

I need a phone that I can download simple app's to (like Kroger or McDonald's coupons).

Any help would be very much appreciated!
CaribbeanPrincess2007NCLDawn&
IslandPrincess2008IslandPrincess&
GoldenPrincess2009CarnivalConquest&
GrandPrincess2010IslandPrincess&
GrandPrincess2011CarnivalMagic&
CarnivalDream2012IslandPrincess&
CarnivalMagic2013CarnivalLegend2014&
CarnivalMagic&CoralPrincess2015
CarnivalLiberty&CaribbeanPrincess2016
EmeraldPrincess2017Coral Princess2018
Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2017, 08:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Download the app Retail me not...it's a site that you can find coupons for food and stores. I use it all the time.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 31st, 2017, 08:34 PM
Admiral

I still use a flip phone ,sorry cannot help you.
Old August 1st, 2017, 09:57 AM
Admiral

Fern, I have a smart phone and have to say I hardly ever use it,
I think that when I renew in December I will go back to a simple flip phone. So I can't help you.

Star Princess 2005,Sun Princess 2005,Caribbean Princess 2006,MSC Lirica 2006,NCL Pearl 2007,Majesty of the Seas 2008,Carnival Destiny 2008 MSC Lirica 2009,Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor 2012,MSC Poesia 2012, MSC Poesia 2013,Carnival Legend 2013,MSC DIVINA 2014, MSC Divina 2014,Carnival Liberty 2015,MSC Divina 2015,Carnival Ecstasy 2015,NCL Star 2016,Carnival Glory 2016,MSC Divina 2017,NCL Sky 2017,NCL Getaway 2018
Old August 5th, 2017, 09:17 AM
Captain

Fern, try backing up and then removing any photos you no longer need on your cell. Then, delete any apps you do not use or will not use in the future. That should help make some space for your apps. For the new card, you may need to go into the settings to locate and add the card.
Old August 5th, 2017, 08:04 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haimia View Post
Fern, try backing up and then removing any photos you no longer need on your cell. Then, delete any apps you do not use or will not use in the future. That should help make some space for your apps. For the new card, you may need to go into the settings to locate and add the card.

The thing is, I don't have any photo's on the phone. The only apps are the one's that came with the phone (Google, etc.). I can see that the card is there, I just can't get to it !

I'm thinking I need to lose this phone ASAP and get a basic smartphone, if I can find one that is compatible with my TracFone subscription.

(Oh, to go back to one corded phone in the niche in the hallway... . And my grandparent's phone number-16. Sigh... )
Old August 6th, 2017, 03:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I'm curious how a new phone can have no space for downloading whatever you'd want...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 6th, 2017, 07:56 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I'm curious how a new phone can have no space for downloading whatever you'd want...

Trip, it's a cheap ($19.99) android phone, a Z753G sold by TracFone. It comes with Google and Chrome and some other stuff which takes up all the internal storage. It has a space for a mini-SD card, which I installed, but I can't get to it, even though it shows it's installed. When I bought the phone I just wanted a phone to call and answer. Now I'd like something that I can download coupon's, etc. I won't be watching movies or other large stuff!
Old August 7th, 2017, 01:38 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Fern,
This is an very entry level phone with only 4GB of ROM and 1GB of RAM. This is REALLY low. Your Android operating system will take .5 to 1GB of ROM.

The SD card can only be used for storing data: Pictures, documents, etc.. Apps must run on the phone's internal memory.

Step 1: Make sure your camera is set to go to your SD card.

Step 2: Go to "Settings" and scroll down to "Applications" and then uninstall anything you don't think you need. I.E. NFL network, Kindle, What's App, etc.

Phones come with a lot of "Bloatware". Get rid of it.

However, even after doing that you will run into problems if you want to download and use a number of apps.

Your issue is very common one for people who use the low cost carriers. You wanted a phone to make and receive calls and perhaps do basic texting and that's what you got. They give you a taste of what you can have with a Smartphone but the cheap phones won't support anything more than a few apps.

If all else fails drop TracFone and find another carrier and perhaps someone has an old phone they would give you that will perform better. Many carriers like Sprint have pretty good deals right now.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 7th, 2017, 02:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb

I have and Iphone7plus now and very happy. Recommend uget close to ateenager . They know more than us old folks.
Old August 7th, 2017, 08:04 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
Fern,
This is an very entry level phone with only 4GB of ROM and 1GB of RAM. This is REALLY low. Your Android operating system will take .5 to 1GB of ROM.

The SD card can only be used for storing data: Pictures, documents, etc.. Apps must run on the phone's internal memory.

Step 1: Make sure your camera is set to go to your SD card.

Step 2: Go to "Settings" and scroll down to "Applications" and then uninstall anything you don't think you need. I.E. NFL network, Kindle, What's App, etc.

Phones come with a lot of "Bloatware". Get rid of it.

However, even after doing that you will run into problems if you want to download and use a number of apps.

Your issue is very common one for people who use the low cost carriers. You wanted a phone to make and receive calls and perhaps do basic texting and that's what you got. They give you a taste of what you can have with a Smartphone but the cheap phones won't support anything more than a few apps.

If all else fails drop TracFone and find another carrier and perhaps someone has an old phone they would give you that will perform better. Many carriers like Sprint have pretty good deals right now.

Take care,
Mike

Mike, thank you SO much! I really appreciate the "tutorial"! I guess if I want to use any coupon site's, etc., I'll have to pay more than what TracFone is charging me.
Ray, I have already asked my grandson to help. Unfortunately, he's so much ahead that he doesn't really know anything about TracFone android phones :0 !
Love this community!
Fern