Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 10th, 2017, 04:35 PM
Admiral

Default Part 2 of Cuba review

Thursday Oct 5
Woke at 7 but I was extremely tired, while in the bathroom Bruce opened the curtains and turned on some lights, so I turned off the lights and closed the curtains and got about another hour of sleep. Woke at 8 and opened the curtains and saw a tender that was bouncing up and down like crazy. We got dressed and as we were leaving the cabin the Captain came on and said the call to Great Stirp Cay was being cancelled due to the seas being about 9 feet so it was just too hard to move people from the ship to the tender. So we have a sea day. We went to the buffet for breakfast and stayed for a couple of hours and then went back to the cabin which had been done and had a nap.
Woke and went to the buffet about noon for lunch and had a drink and then back to the cabin. It had finally been made up. But took another nap. Got up and went to dinner after 6. I had the Salmon tartar, French onion Soup, Prime rib and a sugar free Blueberry Cheesecake. I was not feeling all that great so no wine for me but did have decaf along with dinner. Bruce had French Onion Soup, Prime Rib and Volcano Cake with Ice Cream, some wine and decaf. Bruce had said how about going and getting a drink but I was not feeling that good so we just went back to the cabin.
It was about 7:30 and found the liquor had been delivered. So Bruce got the suitcases out from under the bed and I started to pack. It really did not take that long to pack but it was a bit hard deciding which suitcase to put some of the things in. But was done by 8:45. About that time the steward knocked and I got ice and hand towels. I asked about luggage tags and if there was a newsletter about the next day. He said no to both and no to customs form, but if we wanted we could leave out the luggage. I decided to just keep the luggage and take it off ourselves in the morning. Set a wake up for 6:30am.

Friday Oct 6
The wakeup call came at 6:15 and so got up. Got dressed and went to the buffet for breakfast. Since we were taking the luggage off ourselves we just filled the water bottles with mainly ice and a bit of water. Went back to the cabin and finished what little was left of packing and left the cabin. We went to deck 6 and could not fine the exit so went to deck 5 and found it was on 6 so back to 6 and found it and left. We had to walk had the length of the ship to actually get off and then the full length of the building to get to the escalator and elevator. The escalator was at a stop so we deiced to use the elevator and found that someone had fallen on the escalator. Once down stairs we walked right to where the few customs agents were and got in line and it did not take but a few minutes and we were in front of the agent, he asked if we had bought anything so I said yes, a couple bottles of rum and bongos for grandson and then we were out the door and walking to where we are to meet the van to go to the parking garage. We had just gotten to the spot when a van pulled up and we got in with another three people. The driver went to the over terminals and there was no one else so back to the garage. Got in the car and were on our way by 8:30. We had never even been off a ship this early. While traffic was heavy we made good time and were home just after 10:30.

Final Thoughts
This was our third cruise with Norwegian and overall it was pretty good. My only complaint is they need to have more cabin stewards so cabins are done in a timelier manner. I was glad that we had taken Norwegian to go to Cuba since they are the only line that gives you a day and a half in Havana. I would like to do this cruise again and make reservation early on for a full day excursion away from Havana to see more of Cuba. The people that we met were very nice. One thing the guide on our tour told was that Elan Gonzales who had been taken back to Cuba after the death of his Mother while coming to the US in a boat has said he would like to come back to the US, but I have no idea how he would do it.
If anyone asked me about doing a cruise to Cuba I would tell them to do it with Norwegian because of the time you get there. I also would tell them to just exchange US dollars for Cuban CUCís, having the Canadian dollars actually cost us more than using US but when I exchanged back I asked for US and got it. But really if you are at a store you can in most cases use US or Canadian dollars just as easy as CUCís, and if change is given you can ask for and get CUCís.

Star Princess 2005,Sun Princess 2005,Caribbean Princess 2006,MSC Lirica 2006,NCL Pearl 2007,Majesty of the Seas 2008,Carnival Destiny 2008 MSC Lirica 2009,Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor 2012,MSC Poesia 2012, MSC Poesia 2013,Carnival Legend 2013,MSC DIVINA 2014, MSC Divina 2014,Carnival Liberty 2015,MSC Divina 2015,Carnival Ecstasy 2015,NCL Star 2016,Carnival Glory 2016,MSC Divina 2017,NCL Sky 2017,NCL Getaway 2018
Sponsored Links
Old October 11th, 2017, 07:40 PM
Admiral

Enjoyed your review, thanks for sharing