Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old January 9th, 2018, 09:10 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,188
Default Moveover offer from Princess

Tonight we received our second moveover offer from Princess cruises. Seems that they really want us to give up our mini-suite for a balcony cabin. The offer is a 50% cruise fare refundable onboard credit. We have never ever encountered such an offer. We are thinking of accepting but does anyone know if they will further negotiate? We booked this cabin in late spring 2017 at basically the same price as a balcony cabin. Would you try to further negotiate something? Anyone out there ever had a similar experience?
__________________
Keith

"I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list." ~ Susan Sontag

Last edited by Mike M; January 14th, 2018 at 06:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old January 9th, 2018, 09:25 PM
Trip's Avatar
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Boston
Posts: 20,402
Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default

Wouldn't you want cash back vs that amount in an onboard credit? For me going to a lesser room, and feeling I have to spend every penny of a credit..(not knowing amount) is not the very best offer I'd think....do you think you can easily spend the credit?
__________________


Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old January 9th, 2018, 10:05 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Wouldn't you want cash back vs that amount in an onboard credit? For me going to a lesser room, and feeling I have to spend every penny of a credit..(not knowing amount) is not the very best offer I'd think....do you think you can easily spend the credit?
Trip......does refundable not mean that they would pay you out at the end of the cruise? That would be my understanding.
__________________
Keith

"I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list." ~ Susan Sontag
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old January 9th, 2018, 10:09 PM
storybookcruises.com's Avatar
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cape Coral, FL
Posts: 2,270
Default

Have your agent give them a call. We have access to a special department that handles stuff like this and Princess is really good to work with. I got a full refund for my clients and another cruise for free, so sometimes they are very amenable to offers. But your agent definitely has a better chance of getting something than you do.

Pete
__________________
Travel Agent/Cruise Specialist w/16 yrs exp and 50 Cruises on 12 different cruise lines in many parts of the world! VIETNAM VETERAN OWNED & OPERATED. Certified Accessible Travel Advocate. Specializing in unsurpassed personal service to insure you have a hassle-free vacation!
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old January 10th, 2018, 07:04 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by storybookcruises.com View Post
Have your agent give them a call. We have access to a special department that handles stuff like this and Princess is really good to work with. I got a full refund for my clients and another cruise for free, so sometimes they are very amenable to offers. But your agent definitely has a better chance of getting something than you do.

Pete
We typically book thru agents but this cruise my wife booked directly with Princess. The phone call message says "you have reached the corporate offices" and I am expecting a call back. They have not yet assigned us a cabin (overbooked?) and this cruise leaves 1 week today so they may up their offer. I will try to negotiate but they will have to email me their offer, with full details, before any acceptance on our part.
__________________
Keith

"I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list." ~ Susan Sontag
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old January 10th, 2018, 09:30 AM
Haimia's Avatar
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: in the middle of nowhere
Posts: 820
Default

We were offered (and we accepted) a full refund of original cruise through on-board credit (left over amount was refunded to us in cash), funds to reschedule our airline tickets and two more cruises of 15 days or less OR one more cruise over 30 days in a room two levels up from what we originally had. This was offered to us three days before we were to depart for Santiago, Chile. However, we were flying straight to the cruise and had no other travel planned except for the cruise.

Our travel agent at the time told us she had a previous offer, but did not bother to call us as it was not worth it. When the second offer came in, though, she knew she had to call because it was quite an unbelievable offer. Even her Princess rep commented later that Princess rarely does what we were offered.

I wish I knew what to tell you to do/expect. However, it will depend on how many have been offered and who accepts and when. It will be first come, first serve on the offer.

Your offer sounds as if they only want you to move to a different room. Maybe counter-offer for 75% or more refund and verify that it is REFUNDABLE on-board credit before accepting.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old January 10th, 2018, 10:34 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haimia View Post
We were offered (and we accepted) a full refund of original cruise through on-board credit (left over amount was refunded to us in cash), funds to reschedule our airline tickets and two more cruises of 15 days or less OR one more cruise over 30 days in a room two levels up from what we originally had. This was offered to us three days before we were to depart for Santiago, Chile. However, we were flying straight to the cruise and had no other travel planned except for the cruise.

Our travel agent at the time told us she had a previous offer, but did not bother to call us as it was not worth it. When the second offer came in, though, she knew she had to call because it was quite an unbelievable offer. Even her Princess rep commented later that Princess rarely does what we were offered.

I wish I knew what to tell you to do/expect. However, it will depend on how many have been offered and who accepts and when. It will be first come, first serve on the offer.

Your offer sounds as if they only want you to move to a different room. Maybe counter-offer for 75% or more refund and verify that it is REFUNDABLE on-board credit before accepting.
The first offer we received but didn't respond to was very similar to yours. Would very much have liked to take that offer except we have 75 days of travel and this cruise is part of it. Thanks for your response!
__________________
Keith

"I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list." ~ Susan Sontag
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old January 10th, 2018, 03:46 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,188
Default

We have accepted a downgrade from a mini-suite to a premium balcony stateroom in exchange for a refund of 1 cruise fare plus an additional credit. We are happy with this.
__________________
Keith

"I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list." ~ Susan Sontag
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old January 10th, 2018, 05:23 PM
Trip's Avatar
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Boston
Posts: 20,402
Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default

Sounds good to me....I wonder what circumstances make the cruise line put this request out there..someone must desperately need the suite so badly...seems the line loses $$?
__________________


Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator


Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old January 10th, 2018, 06:20 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Sounds good to me....I wonder what circumstances make the cruise line put this request out there..someone must desperately need the suite so badly...seems the line loses $$?
I think you are right Trip. I asked and the answer I received was that the cruise lines do the same as the airlines....ie: overbook. But, someone must have desperately wanted a mini-suite because the list of available balcony cabins, they sent us, to choose from numbered about 20.
__________________
Keith

"I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list." ~ Susan Sontag
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old January 10th, 2018, 07:42 PM
Trip's Avatar
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Boston
Posts: 20,402
Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default

Indeed....Enjoy your good fortune!
__________________


Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator


Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old January 14th, 2018, 09:55 AM
Haimia's Avatar
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: in the middle of nowhere
Posts: 820
Default

I am sure whoever is being offered the downgrades probably paid the least for the mini suites. They would hold on to the ones who paid the most for the mini suites in a mini suite and still come out okay offering the discounts for a downgrade. Sounds like they are not completely booked if they have that many premium suites!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
does princess still offer furture cruises jzagar65 Princess Cruise Lines 9 September 29th, 2010 10:57 PM
Superb offer JAN Southamerica/Antarctica trip on the "A cityliner Holland America 0 October 23rd, 2008 07:51 AM
onboard ship credits offer karla1law Ask CruiseMates Staff 4 July 18th, 2008 12:35 AM
'Big Screens' to offer PBS-style ads jleq Carnival Cruise Lines 1 March 17th, 2008 12:03 PM
P&O Princess rejects Carnival offer Theresa Chit - Chat for Cruisers 1 December 16th, 2001 09:07 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:28 AM.
design by: Themes by Design



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1