Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Costa
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 26th, 2000, 08:44 PM
Rosemary Vivinetto

Default Costa Atlantica

I am very interested in any comments on the Costa Atlantica. We will be sailing her on the Dec. 24th Christmas Cruise.We are really anxious to go. We are a family of four with 2 college age students.
Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2000, 08:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default RE: Costa Atlantica

Hi Rosemarie,

I'm sure we'll be hearing a lot about this new ship, in fact they just announced that they will build another one just like it. Its still early to get the full report, but keep checking on this site and I'm sure we'll be seeing some reviews of it, sounds like a winner to me, enjoy your cruise and let us all know about the ship.

Rosemary Vivinetto wrote:
>
> I am very interested in any comments on the Costa Atlantica.
> We will be sailing her on the Dec. 24th Christmas Cruise.We are
> really anxious to go. We are a family of four with 2 college
> age students.

Donnassei/Sealover
Old August 26th, 2000, 09:08 PM
Admiral

Everything I have seen and heard indicates that she's a very special ship. I'll be on her on October 1 in Venice and will be posting my impressions shortly thereafter. Suspect you and your family will have a wonderful time.

Ernie
Old August 27th, 2000, 07:08 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Rosemary...

Please follow this link to the story I did about CostaAtlantica last month - I think you will find it interesting. <http://www.cruisemates.com/Articles/cruiseguide/ship-features/CostaAtl-preview.cfm> And after that, read this member review..
<http://www.cruisemates.com/Articles/shiptour/memreviews/mr_costa/atlantica.html>
Old August 27th, 2000, 09:55 AM
Rosemary Vivinetto

Thanks for you great responses. Paul, the websites were wonderful!!! They were both very informative. We are now even more anxious to take this cruise.
Rosemary
Old August 27th, 2000, 10:21 AM
nick87

Everyone else gave where to look for a review there is a site that has pictures. You may have already say it but it is at http://intro.masa-yards.fi After you get there click on news at the top and then when you get to news under news it says photographs and click on that. I know iit sounds really confusing but there is no direct link to get to them.
Old August 27th, 2000, 11:27 AM
Administrator
Admiral

<http://intro.masa-yards.fi/photogallery.asp>

You can go there directly by clicking on the above. By the way, it is easy to make a direct link in our boards, just enclose the URL in angle brackets like these "<>"
Old August 28th, 2000, 08:42 AM
Admiral

She has received remarkably good reviews, including from Paul Motter here at CruiseMates. Sounds like you'll be in for a real treat on this ship.

I'll be visiting her on October 1 and will report my impressions here too.

Ernie
Old August 29th, 2000, 08:23 AM
Ian Smyth

Hi
I've just got back from the Costa Atlantica. It was my first "real" cruise so am unable to compare with other ships. However I was really impressed. The minus points I'd seen mentioned in various places (too many Italians, too much smoke, lots of announcements in 5 languages) were either untrue (the smoking) or didn't detract from the experience. There were a lot of Italians (2000 versus 47 English speakers) but as long as you hold your ground in the queue for the restaurant, this isn't a problem.

The English speaking host (Jason) was excellent - although one tip, don't mention what your job is if you do anything financial or are a teacher, as he'll have you up doing role plays. If you go on the ship this season, say hello from Fiona and Ian (the Inland Revenue economist) from London.

The music on board was mostly good, although there was one duo that tested my ears somewhat, and the drummer in the "Big Sound" band seemed to be mostly miming to the backing track.

We had an extremely good deal with Airtours which included a week in Lake Garda, however it meant we had an inside cabin on deck one. Our cabin was 1177 and was excellent (better than our hotel room in Garda). However there seemed to be a lot of vibration further aft (about two-thirds) back. I would definately go for a balcony next time. More than anything, seeing this ship docking is amazing - I've seen much smaller boats which are not as manouverable as this one.

Our tour guides were excellent - we did a tour in all the ports except for Bari - and would certainly recommend doing the extended tour in Istanbul.

The only disappointment was the pools on board. They seemed to be more artistic than functional, and once some lively children got in them there wasn't much room for anyone else.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Ian.
Old August 29th, 2000, 08:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Rosemary,
If you go the the home page here and scroll down a ways, you can see an article by our editor on the Costa Atlantica. He's also included some pics. I think shortly we'll be seeing more reviews as more people cruise. Enjoy the article, I might add its another good one from Paul :-)

Donnassei/Sealover
Old August 30th, 2000, 12:00 PM
Passenger

Hi Ian Smyth, remember to pool Costa Atlantica in this web site!!!!
there is a section where you can give your votes to atlantica.
I'm agree with you when you say swimmingpools are too small.
Did the upstair from Madama Butterfly to Caffè Florian the water falls open or not?
Was the Water slide open or not?
Was there the midnight buffet in the main galley under the restaurant?
I ask these question because in my cruise these things weren't opened or made.
Old September 1st, 2000, 12:09 PM
Ian

No there was no waterfall from Cafe Florian.
The waterslide did open for an hour or so each day, but the midnight buffet was still in the restaurant.

I'm not sure if it was a one off, but be careful not to lay downwind of the funnel, as one day it let out an almighty cloud of soot when the generators powered up, covering everyone who was on the starboard of the aft deck. It made quite a mess!

Ian.
Old September 2nd, 2000, 12:10 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I believe that funnel thing could happen on any ship, there isn't anything about the engines on Atlantica :-)
Old November 1st, 2000, 12:00 PM
philip

I have just been on atlantica , the slide is open but the staff had to supervise it and opening hours were limited to one hour per day.
The ship is getting over teething troubles there were quite a few workers onboard correcting faults as the ship was preparing to leave europe for the states and they were concerned about the cdc inspections.
The pools were too cold and the hot tubs not warm enough.
Many cabin doors and balcony doors were stiff.
In general the ship is a treat, everything is patterned, lots of mosaic tiles and marketry. The atrium is stunning and at the top a glass floor joins the top two floors so dont look down!!
Old November 6th, 2000, 11:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Looking forward to first class 5 star experience in feb. on this ship. ANy hints I should have.
Do you think a room with a balcony is any big bargain? Are the people dressed very formally? or a little more upscale casual?

Is English the first language spoken in the Caribbean.........do you think because it is Italian it will attract more Italian speaking than english speaking in the Spring.

How was the food?

Thanks. Liz.philip wrote:
>
> I have just been on atlantica , the slide is open but the staff
> had to supervise it and opening hours were limited to one hour
> per day.
> The ship is getting over teething troubles there were quite a
> few workers onboard correcting faults as the ship was preparing
> to leave europe for the states and they were concerned about
> the cdc inspections.
> The pools were too cold and the hot tubs not warm enough.
> Many cabin doors and balcony doors were stiff.
> In general the ship is a treat, everything is patterned, lots
> of mosaic tiles and marketry. The atrium is stunning and at the
> top a glass floor joins the top two floors so dont look down!!