Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Costa
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 19th, 2001, 08:30 PM
MicheleK

Default review of the Atlantica

We were on the Atlantica 2/4. What a beautiful ship! We had a great time and the food and service were excellent. We were on deck 5. Our cabin was very spacious and I can't think of any problems. We had second seating it was always at 8:45. We tried the alternative dining and it was worth the charge of $15 a person. They make the meal something special. The private island was a great day in the sun. We loved sitting at the pool at the back of the boat the others were too crowded. The only complaint was the entertainment was not very good. We have been on at least 12 cruises and this is up at the top.
Sponsored Links
Old February 19th, 2001, 11:20 PM
John F.

Default Re: review of the Atlantica

Hi Michele, we are leaving this coming Sunday on the Atlantica. I have a few qusetions for you. We have a Cat. 11 and was wondering if they have robes for you to use and not buy?? Can you purchase wine on board in the stores and take it to your stateroom with you. Glad to hear you had a great trip. Thanks. Happy Sailing. John F
Old February 20th, 2001, 09:52 AM
John F.

I saw on some other posts and got my answers to my qusetions. Thanks anyway. John F.
Old February 20th, 2001, 09:42 PM
MicheleK

You could buy liquor on board the ship but I did not see any wine. You could buy some in the ports and take back to your cabin may sure you bring a wine opener. There are some little bottles of wine in the refrigerator in your cabin. We did not have robes. Have a great cruise.
P.S. They have a great wine list at dinner and very reasonable prices.
Old February 20th, 2001, 10:26 PM
Admiral

Thanks for the positive review Michelle! I leave on March 18th and I am so excited. I will be on deck 5 also towards the very back. I've read before about the rear pool area not being used much so I'll head there for some solitude! I'm not worried about the entertainment as the last cruise I was on for 10 days I went to one show the whole time. Glad you had a good trip!!!
Old February 28th, 2001, 08:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

we just returned on the 2/18/01 sailing.first of all our flight from costa was late,we left n.y. at 5:30pm,the ship was late sailing because we over 400 people were on the plane (remember we took costas air}.we arrived at the ship in time for our 8:45 dinner.the ship is beautiful but for the first 2 days everyone was sick because the stabilizer were not used because we had to make up time,we arrived in p.r. too late to see anything .so the first 3 days were a waste.all in all the rest of the trip was fine.we had a suite and it can not compare in ant way to holland america.the food was very good.the pizza was great.and then came the end .again costa booked a late flight for us.on check out they told us to be at the airport by 3;30 for a early flight at 5;30.we never left until 8;30 and then sat on the plane at the gate for two hours.it was crazy,one man was arrested,one family was thrown off,people were taken to the hospital,we were treated very bad and did not reach n.y. until 2;45 am.we arived at our home at 5:00am,they told us there would be transportation for us to take us home and only 1/3 of the passengers had it the rest of us had to take taxi*s home at 3;00am it was very bad,we had children luggage and have you ever been in jfk at 3;00am ,it wasnt very nice.all in all like i said the boat was beautiful ....this was my first and last costa cruise...
Old March 1st, 2001, 09:27 AM
tbloxom

My husband and I cruised on our honeymoon Chandris Fantasy 10 years ago. It was so wonderful, we vowed wee would cruise again for our tenth. This cruise line was recommended to us by an Italian friend who swore it was the best. Now we know why he thought so. The potential cruiser must realize, this is an Italian line and the primary language and culture is Italian. The language was not as much a barrier as one might think, however I believe the culture was more a barrier than I expected.
Our cruise left 2/18/01. The CostaAtlantica must be the most spectacularly beautiful ship on the sea. It took my breath away entering the main lobby with the Atrium rising above to the tenth floor. The stateroom with balcony was gorgeous with rich cherry wardrobe and marble bathroom. The room was spacious and very comfortable. The balcony was spacious with teak lounges and table. I read and napped out there often. There was not a room or area on the ship that was dirty or cramped. If our trip had only entailed looking at beauty, it would have rated an easy 100; however, one must eat and be served and therein lies the rub on CostaAtlantica.
Boarding the ship was slightly painful with some degree of disorganization, but being in high spirits, we patiently waited and cheerfully boarded. Our initial awe was soon over when we began to receive our dinner courses. The food quality was poor and preparation appeared hurried. Every dinner in the dining room was flawed in some way. Mostly, it was a missing course that we had ordered. Twice it was substituted meat instead of the meat on the menu. Yes, this is true. My husband and one of our tablemates ordered a duck breast entree and received sliced ham instead. On another night, I ordered a main course of duck (I was careful to ask if it was boned or a half thinking I could avoid another ham incident). What I received was Chicken L'Orange. Stay away from the duck! I will say that every pasta dish we tried was exquisite. When in Rome...! Our waiter was competent yet we were never in any danger of feeling pampered. Our tablemates were celebrating their 25th anniversary and we wanted to do something special for them on our last night together. I approached the Maitre 'D and he assured me they would be happy to accommodate my request. I even watched him write it down in his notes. The next evening, dinner courses came and went until the last cup of coffee was drained but no mention from the Maitre 'D or our waitstaff of the anniversary. I was deeply disappointed but fortunately, our friends had no idea and therefore no expectations.
The shows were amateurish but entertaining. The cruise director's staff seemed aloof. My husband and I went to the initial meeting introducing us to the staff and giving us some tips on what was going on and how to better enjoy the cruise. On one tender trip I was sitting next to a staff member yet he never spoke to anyone on that tender. We all knew who he was yet he avoided eye contact and kept his distance. I found the bartenders friendlier than any other Costa employees save the cabin steward. The language barrier probably contributed to the sense of distance. Most employees spoke at least a little English but I wonder if it is the whole ship's culture to have a hands-off approach to service. I may be over-analyzing but I am trying to understand the vast difference in our first cruise experience and this one. Most of the other passengers we spoke to felt the same way although some passengers were much more irate.
I was disappointed that no ship tours were offered. I would have been fascinated to see how they expedite dinners in a ship that size feeding that many people. It was offered on our first cruise along with a tour of the bridge and staff quarters. I ask the Maitre 'D but he said it was not an option, something about security. Oh well! We tried to make a reservation in the Club Atlantica for dinner and had quite a bit of difficulty there. First we were on a waiting list then we had confirmed reservations that could not be found when we checked in at our dinnertime. The Maitre'D of the Club Atlantica accommodated us anyway and we had the finest meal of our cruise experience. I recommend Club Atlantica to anyone but be sure to make your reservation upon boarding the ship. Make it with Guest services but then follow up in the restaurant the day you are to dine to make sure your reservation is on the books. We would have gladly paid the extra fee to dine there every night. The food and service were excellent.
I had a massage in the Spa and it was wonderful. My husband visited the gym everyday and it was also a grand experience. We both would suggest the gym open at 6:00am rather than 8:00am.
Honestly, the negatives about the cruise I have mentioned so far I could have lived with and did. Those things did not taint my experience as much as the rudeness of the European passengers. I was jostled, bumped, cussed and stepped on by some of the rudest people I have ever encountered. Roman Bacchanal night with togas was a blast and the talent show was fun to watch.
Disembarkation was absolutely awful. Waiting hours trapped on the ship. It was madness. Very disorganized. They were calling for a certain color code to leave but not announcing it over the PA. There was confusion and tempers flaring.
I can tell you if we ever cruise again we will read the cruise reviews first and make our decision based on a lot of research which we did not do. If I had researched the reviews and cruise line first, I would have known this was not the line for us. I have seen countless reviews of this line that mirrors our own experience so I know its not just us. For Chrissake we are just middle class people happy to have our tea refilled. We're not picky people! Don't take my word for it, though. Read some other reviews
Old March 1st, 2001, 10:51 PM
Admiral

Sounds like your problem is with the air line... not with Costa. Would you have had the ship sail and leave all the people whose flight(s) were delayed?
Old March 4th, 2001, 07:31 PM
David Starkey

I hate to say it, but all three of my Costa sailings have these kinds of problems or other "stuff" that normal cruise lines do a better job of.....Dinning room staffing and food service problems have always been a problem on all my Costa Sailings(and its been like this for many years)....They just don't cut it......( i hate to admitt it because I have lots of stock in Carnival who owens Costa).
I had hoped tht Carnival management would come in and shape Costa up.....sounds like things(details) still haven't improved at all.
I think Carnival might need to go in a fire all the old Costa management team and start over...Its time to get this cruise line up to par.
Old March 5th, 2001, 11:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to Matt

Having just gotten back from a cruise on the Atlantica, I experienced similar low service levels in the dining room, but nothing to cry ito my wine over. I looked at it objectively as did my tablemates and we agreed that it had to do with culture differenceson board. It appeared that the Europeans seemed more demanding on the wait staff, thus the service was affected. The only solution we thought was to hire an additional bus boy. Our waiter and busy boy worked like dogs and they didn't have that many tables to attend to. When you have passengers constantly being late or changing thier minds or just being plain rude, I doubt firing the management can help that. I DON'T feel that Costa should be compared with the others in the industry, it's very unique. I found the staff to be extremely pleasant and eager to please. Had they been rude, my post here would be completely different.
Old March 8th, 2001, 11:13 AM
jasonphilip

Mr Starkey You say that you have been on several Costa Cruises and on every single one there has been the same problems. So why go back? Maybe you should consider that Carnival bought Costa for its differences ie exactly because it does thimgs in a different way to other lines. You should also remember that around 90% of Costa's guests are Europeans or South Americans who enjoy a different style of sevice and onboard product. Different, however, does not mean better or worse just different. Costa says in its advertising it is cruising Italian Style and that is what it delivers very well. I am still searching the Norwegian style in NCL or the Dutch style in Holland America both of which provide a North American "apple pie" product that has no obvious differentiation.
Mr. Starkey stick to Carnival and make yourself some money or why not try reading the brochure before you go.
Old March 8th, 2001, 09:11 PM
Admiral

I agree with most of your commentary... except for one point you made, which is in error. Costa's passenger load in the Caribbean is 80 to 85% North American. The 90% European you talk of is in their Europe service.

Ernie
Old March 9th, 2001, 09:05 AM
John F.

Ernie, we just returned from a trip on the Atlantica -2/25 and there was about 80
to 85 % Europeans and South Americans. The rest were Americans and Canadians. We had a very nice cruise with grear service overall. The ship is a
real beauty!!! John
Old March 9th, 2001, 07:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yes Ernie,

Perhaps a freak occurance, but the Feb 25 sailing I was on was 90% European.

MattErniemcc wrote:
>
> I agree with most of your commentary... except for one point
> you made, which is in error. Costa's passenger load in the
> Caribbean is 80 to 85% North American. The 90% European you
> talk of is in their Europe service.
>
> Ernie
Old March 10th, 2001, 11:37 PM
Admiral

Well... I'll check to see what the numbers were. Frankly, I doubt that you have 1800 or so Europeans on that sailing. It just doesn't compute of conform to their statistics. It might have "seemed" like that. Again, their average is 80/85% Americans. From time to time that may vary, as it does with other lines. There are some of us who don't feel that an absence of a majority of American's on board is a negative. The International ambiance on Costa here in the Caribbean, to me at least, is a welcome retreat from the humdrum numbing sameness of so many of the Caribbean Cruises.
Old March 11th, 2001, 06:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

I didn't find it negative in the least, I enjoyed it. Please check your numbers.
Old March 11th, 2001, 09:11 PM
Admiral

Well... I will check the numbers, and am really glad you enjoyed it.