Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Costa
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 23rd, 2001, 08:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default ATLANTICA 3/4-3/11/2001

MY FAMILY AND FRIENDS SAILED COSTA FOR THE FIRST TIME A FEW WEEKS AGO. WE HAVE CRUISED WITH RCCL AND CARNIVAL IN THE PAST. THE ATLANTICA WAS ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL AND VERY CLEAN. OUR ROOM WAS ON DECK 1 AND OUR FRIENDS CABIN WAS ON DECK 4 WITH A VERANDIA. WE ALWAYS PICK THE LOWEST FLOOR FOR MONITARY REASONS. OUR ROOM WAS NICE AND OUR FRIENDS ROOM WAS VERY SPACIOUS. THE WEEK THAT WE SAILED THERE WERE MANY EUROPEAN TRAVELERS AND ONLY A SMALL AMOUNT OF AMERICANS. THERE WERE QUITE A FEW TIMES WE GOT INTO THE ELEVATOR AND SOMEONE WOULD SAY "OH YOU SPEAK ENGLISH". THE ANNOUNCEMENTS EVERYDAY WERE IN MANY LANGUAGES. THE AGE GROUP ON OUR CRUISE WAS IN THE SENIOR AGE BRACKET. OUR SERVICE IN THE DINNING ROOM WAS VERY SATISFACTORY. OUR FOOD WAS GOOD AND HOT BUT THE DESSERTS HAD ALOT TO BE DESIRED AND NOT MANY TO PICK FROM. THE HEAD WAITER WAS SELDOM SEEN. THE ENTERTAINMENT HAD A LOT TO BE DESIRE TOO. THERE WAS NOT A VARIETY OF ENTERTAINMENT IN THE SHOWS. IN MY OPINION THE DANCERS WERE GLORIFIED AROBIC INSTRUCTORS. WE HAD EARLY SEATING AND AFTER DINNER THERE WAS NOT ALOT TO DO UNTIL THE SHOW IN THE THEATRE STARTED. THE BAR SERVICE AROUND THE POOL AREA WAS NOT IMPRESSIVE. THEY DID NOT PROMOTE ANY DAILY DRINK SPECIALS LIKE ON OTHER CRUISE LINES. OUR CABIN STEWARDESS WAS TERRIBLE. WE WOULD LEAVE AT 9:00 A.M. FOR BREAKFAST AND WHEN WE WENT BACK AT 12:00 OUR ROOM STILL WAS NOT ATTENDED TO. THIS HAPPENED IN THE EVENING ALSO. I GUESS IT GOES WITHOUT SAYING YOU ONLY GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. THIS WAS OUR FIRST AND LAST COSTA CRUISE. BEING IN A MIDDLE AGE BRACKET WE WERE EXPECTING A MUCH MORE EXCITING ATMOSPHERE. WE ARE NOT SORRY THAT WE CHOSE THIS CRUISE LINE BUT WE ENJOYED OTHER LINES BETTER.
Sponsored Links
Old March 25th, 2001, 09:14 PM
susancruises

Default Re: ATLANTICA 3/4-3/11/2001

Funny how different people see things! Just returned from my Atlantica cruise and I loved it! Personally, I liked the fact that Costa wasn't hawking drinks, bingo, art auctions and horse racing every time you turned around. There were drink specials every day and the overall drink and soda prices were the best I have seen on any ship. There was music in several bars after 1st seating and before the shows started. The trio in the Florian was excellent, I listened to them almost every evening. I thought the deserts were great and if I didn't like a choice I could always get my old standby, chocolate cake and ice cream. I've cruised on three other lines, at least a dozen times and Costa was fine. They are not like the other cruise lines and but they don't claim to be a mass market cookie cutter cruise line. If you want someone hawking drink specials every five minutes, you have several lines to choose from. I also liked that the dining room help did not mention or beg for good ratings on the cruise survery. They were very low key and gracious.
Old March 29th, 2001, 01:17 PM
Yeoman

Just to clarify common misconceptions - on the March 11th CostaAtlantica cruise 75% of the passengers onboard were from the U.S. Almost every Costa Caribbean cruise is filled with a majority of Americans - usually in the 80% to 90% range. It is actually quite amusing to read how many people claim that their sailing was predominantly filled with "Europeans" when it is far from the truth.
Old March 29th, 2001, 09:41 PM
Admiral

I find it funny too. They average 80 to 85% North Americans in the Caribbean... quite in line with other lines, yet we hear the same thing over and over.
Old March 29th, 2001, 10:00 PM
David Starkey

The language thing is true. Many Americans(european origin) speak there native tongue while reuniting with family and friends from the "old country".
I.ve sailed too many costa ships over the last 25 years to feel 80-85% were acting as north americans...........most have adopted european customs and habits.....this is not to say those customs are bad.....just different to may of us
Old March 30th, 2001, 07:27 PM
susancruises

I still can't get over reading here and elsewhere about the announcements every day in the different languages??? Did I sleep through my March 18th cruise??? I heard one announcement at 9:30 every morning that was all of 2 minutes long for each language, the rest of the day nothing unless they paged someone to the Purser's Desk! Like I said, no bingo, no auction, no horse racing hawking, no announcements so how could previous weeks have so many when mine had virtually none and a few others have commented that the ship is quiet? Amazing! I heard people complaining when we were getting off about all the "different" people on board and that their must be only 15% American passengers. I purposely asked at the desk and they told me it was about 35%/65% for our particular cruise and I didn't think that was a problem. If there were so many, why did they have trouble organizing German speaking or French speaking tours because there weren't enough people? On my catamaran trip, we took a German couple because they wanted to go but didn't speak English and one girl came forward and said I am fairly fluent in German, I will help them so they came with us and had a great time. I really feel sorry for people that say their cruise was lousy because of things that aren't controllable or changeable.
Old March 31st, 2001, 12:54 PM
Passenger

I was on the march4th cruise. Yes the americans were out numbered with germans, italians, swedes etc. The foreigners were rude and not friendly many never even said hello when you got in to the elevators.They would walk in your way when you were carrying your tray from the buffet line or cut in front of you. Entertainment was terrible on this cruise. I really got alot of sleep on this vacation.So maybe the other cruises weren't all foreigners but our cruisee was.. even the plane ride home had many italians on it going back to Italy from the cruise. We met some nice german folks who had been on the ship the week before.They were from eat Germany and we had a nice conversation with them but they were the acception.
Old March 31st, 2001, 02:56 PM
Passenger

First of all, it's EAST Germany and it wasn't an "acception" it was an "exception".... quite frankly, I wouldn't talk to you either. Learn to spell.
Old April 1st, 2001, 01:46 PM
Admiral

I've heard lots of reasons for not liking a ship... not all ships are for everyone, but the fact that people did not say hello when you entered the elevator is a bit much! This poster ought to spend a few days in New York City... people who say "hello" to strangers in elevators are immediately suspect. What a strange comment on a ship.
Old April 11th, 2001, 08:19 PM
jeanuk

Just returned from back to back cruises on the Atlantica, I am in total agreement with susan and ernie, stop and think folks, weren`t your forefathers from Europe or somewhere? their culture is different from American culture. Maybe its not polite to speak to strangers where they come from, think about it.We had a great time, the first week was 60% Europeans and the 2nd week was about 90% American, neither bothered us as we can get along with anyone anywhere. This was our 3rd and 4th Costa cruise and it was great seing familiar faces, saw one waiter, Romel who has been on 3 Costa ships we were on, also had the same Maitre D` we had on our Med. cruise. Our cabin stewardess was the best, we would leave for b`fast around 8am and when we returned around 9:30 the cabin was always made up. It seemed as though she had Xray vision as whenever we left, we could return 15 mins. later and she had tidied up. Kudos to the great bar staff and waitresses in the lounges, we got very pally with a couple of them, Our only slight complaint was the variety of food in the Botticello buffets, and the entertainment in the lounges, but dollar for dollar I think they are a great bargain on a beautiful clean ship. We cruised Ocean Pacific over Xmas and New Year, and that ship left a lot to be desired, especially all the hawking of everything from drinks round the pool to many many auctions and a ton of flyers advertising everything on sale in the shops, I felt totally overwhelmed with their pushiness. the Maitre D` even came to the DR table hawking liqueurs in tiny plastic souvenir glasses, he was just as embarrassed as I was. You don`t always get what you pay for!! anyway, I`m back to the real world now, looking forward to my New Years cruise on HAL and also a week in a villa in St. Thomas over Thanksgiving, Jean
Old April 11th, 2001, 09:13 PM
Admiral

Well put, Jean. What ship are you referring to with the md pushing drinks... Ocean Pacific? no. perhaps Ocean Princess???

Ernie
Old April 12th, 2001, 09:17 AM
jeanuk

sorry ernie, my mind is still not functioning properly, yes it was Ocean Princess. jean
Old May 3rd, 2001, 10:02 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Todd

I thought that the entertainment on the Atlantica was lacking as well. We went on the Super Bowl Cruise in January and it was a fantastic time, but a lot of the excitement was created by the guy doing the Super Bowl Programing. I understand that he's revamping the entertainment for this year's cruise. He' also giving away $180,000. You may want to check this out for a fun time.
Old July 3rd, 2001, 10:10 AM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to jon

It's funny to read these postings. The world will be forever going round with all the differences in people & cultures. I like Costa for the euro feel(the old Italian Line was the best). I've sailed on HAL, Princess, NCL, Cunard, Home Lines, Costa, Sitmar(they were great also) and I found the Euro influenced lines offered better traditional serviice & the Italian design kept me visually interested. I would rather hear an announcement than have the pushy sales that American marketed lines put over on the passengers. There are all different types of entertainment but why on earth does someone from the Northern states play bingo inside @ 2:00 in the afternoon in the winter when they can be outside in fresh Carib air? The Europeans understand this.

As far as food is concerned why not ask the MD to prepare some pasta for you & order a salad & a glass of wine for lunch. Try the cheese course & eat more fruit. When in Rome.......

The Europeans are more reserved than Americans but they dress for dinner, enjoy fresh food & a good cocktail hour. They know their history & share it when asked about their homes. They listen to opera in the main lounge on the Victoria & dance each evening after dinner.

One year on the Victoria I went to the dining room & requested 2nd sitting. The MD said I wouldn't enjoy it because the 2nd seating in that dining room(name?) was filled with an Italian group. I said that would be ok & had so much fun. I sat with a widow from upstate NY & we just enjoyed the feeling in the room the netire week.

On the Romantica it was funny to see the different nationalities split up. The Italians & French placed thenselves at the midship pool while the Germans took over the aft pool. I like the open feeling of the aft. I learned that Germans do not like sitting in wet bathing suit & would constantly change into a dry suit. I never saw so many rearends & frontends on the over 40 set in my life. They then used the rail as a drying rack - tacky yes but very funny!

I look forward to the Atlantica this February!