Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Costa
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 21st, 2001, 04:32 AM
Martin & Alison

Default Costa Atlantica Christman & NY

Hi,
I am cruising with my girlfriend on the Atlantica for 15 nights, Mexico and Caribbean from the 23rd December ’01 to celebrate Christmas and New Year.

I have read many of the reviews and replies. So far, all the conversations have been between people who have already cruised. Going over the older dialogues and noting the negative comments, I have seen examples in the more recent ones, evidently demonstrating that Costa has taken on board (excuse the pun) the complaints and criticism, and made some improvements.

I would be very interested in hearing any recommendations for excursions, activities and the best cocktails :-).

We have booked a two bed outside superior with large balcony, does anyone have, or know where I can see any pictures of the room or the ship. I have the brochure from Costa and would love to see more. Also, are there any consistent views on anything to avoid? I understand the concept of personal taste, but if there is something everybody has disliked then I probably won’t try it myself.

My girlfriend and I are also interested in meeting new people. We have no preference at all on nationality, but since we currently, only posses the ability to speak English, we wouldn’t wish to struggle with a language barrier. We are in our ‘very’ early 30’s and live in London England. So anyone else attending the same cruise, interested in a prior chat, drop us an e-mail.

Martin & Alison
Sponsored Links
Old October 22nd, 2001, 09:14 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Costa Atlantica Christman & NY

85% of Costa's Caribbean passengers last year were North Americans... so language should be no problem for you at all. The CostaAtlantica is a great vessel... gorgeous and exciting... you should have a ball.

Ernie
Old November 12th, 2001, 09:14 PM
Admiral

Last year, Costa averaged about 85% North American passengers here in the Caribbean. You won't have to "struggle" with foreign languages on board. Quite to the contrary, you'll find your CostaAtlantica cruises to be far from the "cookie cutter" norm... with a great international "flavor", superb and friendly service everywhere. You're in for a treat! She's a great ship!
Old November 14th, 2001, 09:53 PM
Jeannette

Hello:

I am planning to go to that cruise, only that I am going to stay in Fort Lauderdel.
I live in Puerto Rico.Any question about P.R. you can ask.I was looking for photos of the cruise especially of the room and the kids club, but i did not find it.I hope we can have a good time.
Jeannette.ErnieMCC wrote:
>
> Last year, Costa averaged about 85% North American passengers
> here in the Caribbean. You won't have to "struggle" with
> foreign languages on board. Quite to the contrary, you'll
> find your CostaAtlantica cruises to be far from the "cookie
> cutter" norm... with a great international "flavor", superb
> and friendly service everywhere. You're in for a treat!
> She's a great ship!
Old November 15th, 2001, 11:24 AM
Jay A. Peterson

I am going on the Dec 9-23 trip. In my quest for info about the Atlantica I have discovered two very good web pages for photos. The first is:

http://www.supercruise.net/photo_tour.html

This page is a tour group for the superbowl. The pictures are very high quality.

The second one is the Costa web page in Italian. Try going directly to the following page:

http://www.costacrociere.it/cccgi/drv?atlanticaBr

This is the "Sali a bordo" page. I do not know what that means, but if you click on the various decks you get great 360 degree photos of the various rooms as well as the facilities. If you can't get to the page directly try:

http://www.costacrociere.it/cccgi/drv?ATBr

This is the main page and then click on Sali a bordo.

Have a great trip.
Old November 26th, 2001, 09:17 AM
David Starkey

Dispite what Ernie says I have never experienced a cruise on any Costa ship where English speaking passengers were above 60-65%. Perhaps it was just he sailing or luck of the draw or the destination, but on my previous 5 sailings on Costa ships the passengers have had large Italian, Spanish and German and French Canadian's aboard. Thats not a problem for me but some English speaking passengers do not "feel comfortable"with this situation. My only other negitive comment is reguarding diningroom service. Costa has a long history of understaffing the diningroom or having less experienced waiters than many cruise lines.
I do wish you the best of luck hope you enjoy your cruise.
Old November 26th, 2001, 11:16 PM
Admiral

Dave... your experiences are anecdotal, in a sense. I assume that since you sailed with them 5 times or so, something must have pleased you. In the Caribbean, they average about 85% North American clientele, over the season.

I sailed on a Century cruise last year and there was 650 passengers from Spain on board... about a third of the passenger load. It happens on individual sailings from time to time, and Costa has their share. Many of us believe this international ambiance is a welcome respit from the typical cruise experience in the Caribbean.

I'm on their ships almost every weekend during the season and have dozens of groups on board with a remarkable repeat factor. I think their service levels are excellent and, again, a welcomed change from some of the programmed responses we find elsewhere.

Of course, personal taste counts for a lot and Costa clearly isn't for everyone... but neither is Royal Caribbean. If you go on board with the intention of having a good time, regardless of the ship, you should. Costa can be a fun experience. We say it is the best kept secret in the Caribbean.

It will be interesting to hear what the poster has to say after the cruise.
Old November 27th, 2001, 10:05 AM
David Starkey

Good sales commision and overrides might make you less objective then me on Costa. I am looking at it from a well cruised passenger's perspective, not as a sales tool or marketing forum to make my living. Granted I have sailed Costa 5 previous times and might sail her again, but I know "what to expect". I agree Costa is not a "copy" of any other popular cruiseline and a person can have fun on the Costa fleet. I just hate to see peoples expectations fall short and see fellow passengers disappointed on the overall quality of the cruise.(if the cruiser has never sailed he won't know the difference, but if he has been on RCI, Princess, HAL, or Celebrity chances are Costa doesn't come close to any of them).
Old November 27th, 2001, 01:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to Matt

Hi Martin and Alison,

I had that same category of room last Feb, very spacious! Email me if you'd like some pictures of it!
Old November 27th, 2001, 09:57 PM
Admiral

Well, as I said... if you love the "not the newlywed game" with some "failed in show business and now a CD" leading it all, I guess you won't like Costa. We've had many, many sophisticated frequent cruisers who find it to be a welcomed and refreshing change to the predictable Caribbean cruise on other lines. Each to his own, I would say. "Over-rides" my foot. No one can suceed for long in this business putting groups on a ship or ships that don't deliver a good cruise product.

Again, Costa is not for everyone... but can be a terrific cruise experience for those open to a new and different experience.

Ernie
Old November 29th, 2001, 03:55 AM
Martin & Alison

Thanks for the comments David.
When I chose Costa I based the choice purely on the itinerary. Being an inexperienced cruiser I didn’t really give much thought to any thing else. There seem to be consistent comments regarding the quality of waiter service and entertainment. There is no excuse for poor waiter service when considering the cost of a cruise, however I doubt if any one expects Westend stars to be their holiday stage entertainment.
Fortunately, Alison and I are the kind of people who take control of our own level of enjoyment regardless of circumstances. However next time I will make sure I cover all the bases before booking.