Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Costa
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 7th, 2002, 11:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Food on Atlantica that bad?

Have seen several posts from folks disappointed in CostaAtlantica food, including this below....

"Cuisine:
CostaAtlantica really needs significant improvement in this area, as food onboard was extremely disappointing. Many meals had unfortunate presentations that simply took away your appetite before even starting the meal, while others were repeated with only a few variations each night. (Veal and pork seemed to be on the menu every night.) While one assumes this Italian ship would offer excellent pastas, they were boring or simply unappetizing. Buffet selection, quality and variety were very poor, and Costa has taken away the separate pasta station that is to be found on other Costa ships. There were very limited salad facilities throughout, and breakfast and lunch variety was almost nonexistent.

The one notable exception is the ship's alternative restaurant, Club Atlantica, where for around $15 one can enjoy a wonderful meal away from the chaos that can be the dining room. I enjoyed a delicious, genuine Italian meal with two menus offering delectable including Rice Venere with St. Jacques scallops, ginger and seaweed; Ricotta rings; and Lamb noisettes with minted eggplants. The surcharge is well worth it if just for the opportunity to spend an evening away from the dining room. Because there are only two fixed menus, however, most will opt to only dine here once a cruise and not repeat the same menu selections twice during a one week cruise."

Is it really that bad? I'm seriously considering a cruise my travel agent is helping me look into for this March, but my husband is really picky about good food and it's his first cruise. Don't want to pay close to $2000 and then have the food be bad.

I know you liked it Ernie, but has everyone else you talked with?
Sponsored Links
Old January 7th, 2002, 12:25 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Food on Atlantica that bad?

Hi Amy

As for the food on Atlantica.

I found it somewhat not as good, as the normal Mass Cruise Line food ( Carnival, NCL, Princess and RC!)

Was it bad, NO, just not as good.

The ship itself is beautiful.

If you go with the attitude of having a great time you will.
If you don't like an Entree ask for another.

I would give Atlantica a try. As I said the ship is beautiful, the cabin was great.

If you have questions feel free to E-Mail back

ED
Old January 7th, 2002, 09:56 PM
Admiral

Amy... whoever posted that critique clearly missed the special Pasta's prepared fresh every day at lunch up on Deck 9 in the Pizza area. They are just a delight, as is the Bruscetta you can have at your table every night, etc.

Food is really a very personal judgement. Remember, dissatisfied folks are more motivated and tend to post more than happy ones... regardless of the cruise line and ship.

We sailed the CostaAtlantica on December 16th... for maybe the 5th or 6th time and will be on her again on January 13th (next Sunday). If you enjoy international ambiance and are bored with the typical Caribbean cookie cutter cruise experience, you should have a great time on this remarkable ship.
Old January 8th, 2002, 10:49 AM
miamiguy

I too will be on the CostaAtlantica next Sunday 1/13. Would appreciate any useful information that a first-timer should know.
Old January 8th, 2002, 09:47 PM
Admiral

Embark on the CostaAtlantica with the intention of having a good time and you surely will. It is a very special ship indeed. Quite far from the usual "cookie cutter" Caribbean cruise experience. For the record, she is virtually full on the 13th, with several large groups, including ours. It should be great!
Old January 29th, 2002, 09:08 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to natalie

I thought that the food was just great. I really enjoyed all my dining experiences. On the other hand, I should tell you that I am not a foodie, I think almost anything is good when I don't need to cook. My standards are probably not as high as most, but then if I wanted to eat great food I could have gone out to the $100 a meal restaurants in my area for a week and spent about the same as the cruise!

Seriously, I think it depends on how important food is to your life. I think that any gourmand would love it, but I have no idea of how a gourmet would respond. If you are the kind of person who likes to spend time cooking fresh fish in parchment and preparing herbs garnis (and believe me, I have plenty of respect for that) than perhaps you would be disappointed.

What I am saying is that I consider myself an "average" person and I was quite happy with the food but I understand that maybe a person who knows a lot about gourmet food and who spends a lot of time cooking excellent food might not be as satisfied as I was.
Old January 29th, 2002, 10:41 PM
Deena

That works for me, Natalie. Going on the Atlantica on March 3. Am a vegetarian, so I just get happy when there is no meat.

Deena
Old January 30th, 2002, 06:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to Matt

I thought the food was great.