Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Costa
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 13th, 2003, 08:42 AM
gianfranco

Default is it the same as it used to be?

I'm planning a cruise for my silver wedding and, being an Italian, my natural choice would be a Costa ship.

It's about 20 years I do not cruise, so my experience dates nback to Andrea C., Eugenio C., Danae and Daphne.

The question is: are modern cruises about the same as the old ones used to be? (and I mean same or similar elegence, service, food aned entertainment), or should I expect less (or more)?

I welcome all hints and comments from people who has both experiences, old and new cruising style
Sponsored Links
Old September 20th, 2003, 06:35 PM
Admiral

Default Re: is it the same as it used to be?

I think there is a lot less elegance and formality. If you want that you may want to choose one of the higher end more personable cruise lines. Costa is about as Italian as Franco American canned spaghetti.

I have a friend who was trained to cook in Italy. He was very disappointed in the food preparation and service on the Costa line. I have never sailed them because of his poor recommendation. Also their cabins are generally smaller than most other mainstream cruise lines.

I'd read a lot of ship reviews before I booked any costa ship.
Old September 21st, 2003, 04:18 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: is it the same as it used to be?

I tend to disagree with you on the Costa line. I have sailed with Costa five times, Princess twice and Carnival twice and the cabins on the Costa Atlantica were very nice and larger than tPrincess. As for food, we are not hard to please and I always found things to be done well. Of course, cruising is like anything else in life....we are all different and wouldn't life be dull if we were not.

Mediterranea
Old September 25th, 2003, 09:15 AM
David Starkey

Default Re: is it the same as it used to be?

I too go way back on Costa line, Carla C, Flavia, Fredrico C, Eugenio C, Danae , Victoria, and Costa Classica. I reget to inform you that the excellent Italian food that they once offered is a thing of the past. While the new Costa ships themselves are very nice, the food I must rate as sub-par and a major dissapointment for anyone that remembers the "old" Italian food once served on board Costa(or the Italian ships, Home Lines, Sitmar and the Italian Line). If you truly want good Italian food, you might try MSC-(Mediterrean Shipping Company)(its a real real Italian kitchen staffed by Italian chefs) they have a new ship Lirica and I hear the Italian food on this line is very good.

Best wishes.