Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Costa
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 30th, 2003, 12:26 AM
Tom F

Default The WORST

Beware ladies and gents. This is the worse cruise or vacation I have ever had in my life. From the beginning to the end of this cruise it was a nightmare. I feel as if I have been robbed. A Christmas cruise from hell. Except the asian staff on board, the others will make you feel as if you were a leper. They define the word RUDE> The ship and the rooms were nice, but everything else stunk. I thought sailing Italian style would be great. Was I mistaken. The food was some of the worse I have ever had. By the end of the cruise, the dinner rolls could have knocked someone unconscious. If you are reading this and considering sailing with Costa, please DONT DO IT> you will be sorry. You have been warned. I would sooner fly into Iraq and vacation on the Tigres river before I ever took this cruise line again.
Sponsored Links
Old December 30th, 2003, 08:44 PM
Juan

Default Re: The WORST

I was in that exact same cruise, and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's all subjective, obviously. If you spend ANY time in Europe, you'll realize that they were not being rude, and that the rolls ARE indeed fresh. The food is NOT, I repeat, NOT American! It is, <gasp> ITALIAN!! C'mon people!

Some complaints are valid. Overall, though, my wife and I had a great time. The room was spacious and clean; our cabin steward and waiter were wonderful; and the ship is beautiful.

I guess you have to be a little more open-minded to enjoy a cruise on Costa.

Juan
Old December 30th, 2003, 09:31 PM
tom f

Default Re: Re: The WORST

Juan: the only thing I will agree upon is the comfort of the cabins and the beauty of the ship. (although some of the decor was really over the top)
The food was the worst I ever had, and I am not a food critic. Those rolls in the dining room got so hard it good had knocked you out. And if you were on the same ship and sailing I was on, I dont know what you were eating. The meat was HORRIBLE. Once again, the only thing they got right was the pasta dishes.
As for the staff being rude, what do you mean if I spend any time in Europe I would know that they are not being rude. Good they not say good morning to the American passengers and maybe even look at you. They were saying good morning to the European passengers. I REPEAT, this staff was rude. They looked as thought they did not want to be there. And they could care less about your comfort. Andonce again that goes for all the staff except the oriental staff that was very polite and on target.
Juan, I dont know ow many sailings you have been on. But this was a horror show of a cruise;.
Old December 31st, 2003, 12:11 PM
Juan

Well, our experience was different. This is all obviously very subjective. My wife and I enjoyed the cruise, and would do another Costa cruise. Some people think the decor is "over the top." We - as well as many others - loved it. The only complaint we had about the meat was their lack of fish selections for Xmas Eve and Xmas day. Aside from that, we thought the food was very good.

Someone here said something to the effect that "I want an Italian's opinion of the food, not what an American thinks Italian food is." That comment is right on. My wife's parents came to America from Italy in the 60s; they ARE Italian. They have a place in Italy where we go visit friends and family at least once a year. We know the food well; we also know their culture well. My wife is fluent in Italian, and she spent every summer as a kid there. The food is Italian - and not just *OUR* version of Italian. So, yes, the food is different, and I can see how it may not be of the liking of some Americans; but to say that the food was "horrible" is (again, my opinion) an exaggeration, and unfair to them.

Going on a Italian cruise ship and complaining about the food and staff attitude is equal to going to France (or any foreign country) and complaining about the lack of McDonalds and the fact that they don't speak English.

We can go around in circles for ever on this issue. It's all what you make of it. Like I said, my wife and I enjoyed it.
Old December 31st, 2003, 06:30 PM
Tom F

Juan, once again the food was terrible, Italian or not. Try the appetizer, veal with tuna sauce. My dog would run from this. I tried it I almost vomitted. The food came out cold, every dish all the time. The steak was like rubber. Did you try the steak, Italian or not, the quality of the meat was horendous. The lobster tails were DRY as could be, did you try them. Do Italians like dry lobster tails. Do you like pizza with no flavor. I live in NY, home of the best pizzarias, I have never tasted pizza like that. It was okay but no flavor. Did you try the pizza.
Lets even go to the ice cream on board, the soft serve. Do the Italians like wated down almost ice milk. It was horendous.
Juan, once again, I and everyone I was with and talked to said the same thing.

Also, be carefull to anyone that is going on this cruise. The Italians and Europeans on board do NOT believe in lines. They will knock you over to get in front of you.

How in your right mind can you recommend this cruise to anyone. It was the PITS
Old January 1st, 2004, 11:52 AM
anonymous

Default Re: Re: Re: The WORST

You cannot blame the cruise for those people who don't believe in making lines.
Old January 1st, 2004, 03:29 PM
Tom F

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: The WORST

Well, it was just another thing in a series of diasters that made this cruise horrible. Betwen the pushing on lines, not being able to get a lounge chair on the day at sea, everyone hogged the chairs, left for hours putting books shoes etc to hold them. ETCETCETCETC, not my type of cruise.
Old January 2nd, 2004, 10:30 AM
gianfranco

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The WORST

Tom,
I understand you had a very bad time and feel sorry for it.

Howerver:

"Try the appetizer, veal with tuna sauce"

Well, this is a typica Italian dish, and actually one of my favorites

"I live in NY, home of the best pizzarias"

Once in NY I was in a pizzeria and I ordered my pizza. The waiter passed the order saying: "Do it the right way as this is an Italian!"
Then he said to me: "we are forced to change the flavour as Americans do not appreciate the right pizza": maybe this explains something to you.

Good luck for a better experience on a more American ship and... please avoid Euroea and particularly Italy, as these countries coud seem so uncivilised to you
Old January 2nd, 2004, 10:31 AM
gianfranco

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The WORST

Oops,
Sorry for the typing mistakes, but I was quite angry while writing.
Old January 2nd, 2004, 11:14 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thank you "gianfranco". I hope he gets the message.
Old January 11th, 2004, 09:59 PM
janine

Juan - I'm a chef, and I know good food. I am not a snob, nor am I an ugly American. I am well traveled and own a restaurant and I can tell you, the food was dreadful and you were tricked.
Old January 13th, 2004, 11:49 AM
Passenger

The cold veal with tuna sauce is Vitello Tonnato and it supposed to be served cold and it was and it was also delicious!

The cruise is not your problem!
Old January 13th, 2004, 01:03 PM
Juan

Thanks, lalli and anne. I could not have said it better (though I have tried). :-)
Old January 13th, 2004, 06:03 PM
Tom F

ANd why is that it is Tom. I am not the only one complaining here. There are numerous people complainging about the same thing. Can we all be wrong. There is something not right here, they should correct it and now,. And I never said there was anything wrong with the ship. It was beautiful, it was comfortable. Everything else was garbage.
Old January 13th, 2004, 06:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Folks you are welcome to discuss and disagree all you want here. HOWEVER, once it turns to personal attacks, you're violating the CruiseMates User Agreement.... and your posts will be deleted

It should be NOTED that people on the same ship can have totally different experiences. Doesn't make one right and the other one wrong. Often people's expectations, and possibly lack of research before the cruise affect their experience as well.

On my sailing I had good friends who had early seating at a table for two, we had late seating. They reported excellent service, while ours suffered some. I couldn't tell them they were wrong..... they experienced it, and were quite happy with it![/b]

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old January 13th, 2004, 06:34 PM
janine

Tom, that's funny. Isn't it strange that a writer of "nice" things about a "nice" cruise line is writing to tell you stuff it?

This board really is quite funny. I'm sorry it's at your expense (literally and figuratively).

It's interesting to me how the writers on these boards who are arguing for "fun" and a "great time" are turning into an angry mob about to stone you. I wonder just how generous they would be if any of these things had happened to them, or how well they would have coped on board after being cheated out of thousands of dollars worth of vacation time.

Their mob mentality is well suited for the Costa experience, I'd say. It sounds like you just have higher standards, and I think that you should stick to them. If everyone just rolled over the world would become an ugly place. Good for you for exercising your right to speak and share your opinion, and good for you for not letting them bully you.

Don't let them get to you. They have no basis for their objections. They just aren't able to handle your strength of feeling.
Old January 19th, 2004, 06:24 PM
anonymous

tom was being a little too dramatic, yet i agree with a little of what he said
Old January 19th, 2004, 07:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

My goodness,all this hullabaloo!!!!! This is the least expensive cruise one can take. We paid less than 450 for 7 day cruise. We love every moment of it. We never came across any rude people. The food was good.The trip was well organized. We are planning to go again with Costa.
Old January 19th, 2004, 07:34 PM
Tom F

Well I am glad that you spent only $400 per person for this cruise. I spent almost two thousand per person. I would not spend ten cents on a future cruise with this company, a dime would not be worth it. I do not spend my money to be treated like this.
Old January 19th, 2004, 09:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Tom, you need to learn to shop around. No wonder you are so HOT. You spent that much on such a short cruise. And now you are reliving every bad moment of it. Time to let go of it , don't you think?
Old January 19th, 2004, 09:37 PM
Tom F

Rosemary: No it is not time to let go. And no I am not hot. I am just letting prospective clients know what awaits them on Costa cruise lines. And Rosemary, I paid for a seven night luxury Christmas cruise and got a low budget cruise from hell. Now what is your reason for posting here Rosemary. Are you affiliated with Costa cruise lines. Are you a budget traveler looking for cheap cruises. Because if you were looking for a cheap rate vacation, that is what you got. I booked a suite Rosemary. What cabin did you take when you got on the Med Rosemary and what did you pay. I do believe that Costa has posters on this board trrying to sucker prospective cruisers to this two bit cruise line....
Old January 19th, 2004, 09:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

My aren't we paranoid. I thik it's time for you to stop attacking everyone. I do not work for Costa. And as for my financial condition,it's none of your buisness.You are behaving like somene who could use some counsellng.You are sounding more and more "whacky".
Old January 19th, 2004, 10:22 PM
Tom F

Rosemary, Well how dare you tell me that I spent to much money for a short cruise. And when did I ask you about your financial condition? Did I say anything about your financial condition???? Can you show me where I said this??? You should get a grip on it my friend. This is a message board for Costa cruises. Not Rosemarys private board. I will continue to post my experience as long as I feel like it. And I would appreciate it if you not resport to name calling.
Old January 19th, 2004, 10:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

You are the one who asked me if I was a budget traveller? Don't you even read what you write. Further more I refuse to fuel your tirades any longer. This is not Tom's personal gripe board.
Old January 20th, 2004, 12:22 AM
Tom F

Rosemary: Where did I inquire about your finances??? You stated my financial condition is none of your business. Just for the record, I never inquired about your financial condition, I could care less what it is. Just dont put words in my mouth, And once again, this is not a personal gripe. This is a trip report board, you report your trip and I shall report mine. Thats what this is here for.
Old January 20th, 2004, 12:49 AM
Tom F

Default Re: Re: Re: The WORST

Rosemary: I just viewed your photos of your trip/ It looked as if you had a wonderfull time. I dont want to take that away from you. You ask why I did not shop around Well Rosemary, this holiday cruise is more expensive than other cruises. If I had spent only $400, I dont think I would have been as upset. Now, it does not look as if the ship was that crowded. Maybe that had something to do with the horendous conditions on my cruise. The bottom line, is you had a good cruise Rosemary. I am sorry to say that I did not. Nor did the 40 friends and family members I was with. Nor the other 1000 or so other passengers I observed complaining. I was promised an Italian style cruise. I was looking foward to it. I paid for it. This was not an Italian anything. Now I am glad you enjoyed your cruise, I will leave it at that.
Old January 31st, 2004, 02:41 PM
Mortimes

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: The WORST

My wife and I have never cruised Costa and likely never will based on the reviews posted at this very website's "Travelers Reviews" area. Try the first review for example "Costa Alantica by NDavies" however most read the same way. We print them out, read them, and nearly die laughing at the descriptions of the food, service and fellow passengers. I don't see this in the reviews of any other cruise line at this site. There has to be some truth to what Tom F is saying.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 09:20 PM
Mortimes

Tom, this might explain the fine Italian cusine

"While you may come across these ships steeply discounted in the Caribbean, keep in mind that food and service may not be up to your standards. While Costa is based in Italy, you’ll be hard-pressed to find Italians working aboard the ship. A number of years ago, Costa replaced its all-Italian crew with South Americans – largely Peruvian – and service was affected. In January 2003, Costa opened a Hospitality Training Institute in La Romana, Dominican Republic, in association with the prestigious American culinary and hospitality school of Johnson & Wales University. The school will train service personnel for the expanding Costa fleet. This should lead to an improvement in service in the future".
Old February 3rd, 2004, 05:12 AM
enough is enough

Mortimes, your comment sounds a little racist to me
Old February 3rd, 2004, 08:37 AM
Mortimes

The previus message is a verbatim quote from this website's Costa review. Check it out.