Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Costa
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 30th, 2003, 11:18 AM
gianfranco

Default Food on Costa

I've seen many different opinions about costa food on this board.
I'm Italian used to cruise Costa twenty years ago (Eugenio, Enrico, Andrea, Daphne etc.) and I still remember the high quality food they used to serve.
Now I'm thinking to start again cruising Costa, and would like to have some feedback on the food they serve now, possibly by Italians!
Please do not misunderstand me, but I think that a critic to Italian food made by Americans, based on what Italian restaurants in the States call "Italian food" could be in some way misleading...
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old December 31st, 2003, 01:16 PM
Juan

Default Re: Food on Costa

Gianfranco,

My wife's parents ARE Italian. They came to the US in the 60s. They still have a place in Asiago, where we go visit family and friends every year. I am not Italian, but I do know Italian (and not just America's version of Italian) food well. Both my wife and I enjoyed the trip and the food. Very typical Italian, with no major complaints. You'll like it. Go ahead and book your cruise; I think you will like it.
Old December 31st, 2003, 03:53 PM
Admiral

Gianfranco, I am of Italian descent and have grown up eating Italian. My wife and I both enjoyed our first cruise aboard the Atlantica. The food on board in our opinion was excellent. I too side with Juan and think that you'll enjoy it.

Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)

Old December 31st, 2003, 07:24 PM
Tom F

Man, what cruise was this other guy on. I was on the same cruise, the food was HORRIBLE, just horrible. I cannot believe you can say that was good Italian food. That would not even be good dog food. Lets review the main dingin room food.
Soup: mostly cream soups that were very watery. Less quality than a can of supermarket quality soup.

Salads Okay, however towards the end of the cruise the lettuce was browning.

Dinner rolls; Repeat, by the end of the cruise they could have been used as a weapon.

Meats: HORRIBLE, just HORRIBLE, no other way to describe the meats. Veal will make you sick. Meat tough as a horse.

Pasta: Good, when served hot. And not to many meals served hot.

Fish, once was okay. Lobster tails came out dry as can be.

Deserts, good

Coffee in dining room: COLD for four nights, finally got a hot cup on tip night.

Breakfasts: Okay. The scrambled eggs were compatable with the powdered eggs I had in the army, They slopped the bacon into a tray, the sausage was not good at all. Cream of wheat was good.

Lunch: The lunch was okay. Hamburgers, search for the well cooked one in the trays. Otherwise I would not trust them.

I really am telling you that the food was bad. I am not that big of a complainer when it comes to this. Everyone in my group said the same thing. Everyone we talked to said the same thing, It cant be everyone complaining about the same thing.

I dont know what it is about the crew on this boat. It appeared that no one wanted to be there. They could have cared less. The only thing this boat got right is when they were trying to sell you something and excursion, a photo a drink, or the $2.30 sodas.
Old January 2nd, 2004, 11:23 AM
gianfranco

Default Re: Re: Food on Costa

Thanks to all for the good... and the bad.

I'll try and will post my opinion.
Old January 5th, 2004, 05:23 AM
Peter & Ellen Marland

Well, Well ,Well, What a fussy lot we are. I am English lived in America for 14 years, my wife is American from Oregon. We live in England now. We cruise the Med quite a lot. Last year we went on the Costa Victoria starting at Genoa Had a fantastic time, food great, nice cabins, friendly staff. Gosh a lot of the staff spoke different languages.
how strange! I luckily learned to speak Greek when I live in Greece. I took the trouble to learn some Italian while on the ship.Let's face it guys don't expect the world to speak Amercan/English...feeding over 2.000 passengers Wow! ...We will be on the Atlantica cruise leaving on the 30th from England for Fort Lauderdale
Have a Nice Day
PM-J
Old January 5th, 2004, 08:31 AM
gianfranco

Default Re: Re: Food on Costa

Peter & Ellen,
Thanks to you as well.
I think you got the point: there are lots of Americans used to travel worldwide, adapting themselves to the places they are, and I presume most of the positive reviews come from them, while many others spent their whole lives somewhere in US.

Although America is a bunch of different nationalities and races whoever spent some time there knows how segregated the different nationals are.

I’m a sincere friend of America, and I feel sorry when the behaviour of some Americans justifies the bad opinion most of Europeans have about them.

This, however, does not justifies the mishaps happened to some of the reviewers, and I strongly recommend them to complain to Costa headquarters about the lack of service they had, but keeping in mind that food, language and habits are not a topic to raise: I would be very disappointed to be forced to speak English and have Kentucky chicken on an Italian vessel….

All the best

Gianfranco
Old January 5th, 2004, 08:42 AM
tom f

Default Re: Re: Re: Food on Costa

Well, a little more regarding the food. If you dont want to take my word for it, just look at the review that this web site has posted on the home page. That should pretty well sum it up for you. After a week on this cruise, you will find the nuber one combination at McDonalds a gourment delight, trust me on this one folks. And to all going on the next cruise, please come back here and give your honest review of this cruise.
Old January 5th, 2004, 08:54 AM
tom f

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Food on Costa

Please excuse my speling folks. I type fast and am talking on the phone, etc while I am typing this to you.
Old January 5th, 2004, 09:48 AM
gianfranco

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Food on Costa

Tom,
I understand that Costa disorganisation ruined your cruise, and made you see everything black.

As far as food is concerned, I read the review on homepage.
It says:
"Unfortunately, I encountered only a few items during our cruise that came close to the Italian food I had led my taste buds to expect. The dishes that did so surely were a gastronomic delight, and my inner voice kept asking why they couldn’t produce this type of quality all the time"

This is far away from what you said that food was horrible all times.

On another board somebody told me that food on Costa tends to be "Americanised" which I'm afraid means what Italian staff think to be "American food": this is the same mistake Americans do when they compare the true Italian food with what is called Italian food outside Italy, and this is actually valid for any cuisine (French, Chinese and even British).
Anywhere I've been I ate local food and found some dishes which suited my taste, while some didn't. However I do not condemn the whole cuisine of a Country for the dishes which do not satisfy my taste, and I believe this is the right mood.

Although I do understand that missing the vessel completely ruined the beginning of your cruise, I believe that the rest of your cruise was more ruined by your mood, than by anything else.

Anyway, let's end this struggle, and I wish you better luck on a future cruise.

Gianfranco
Old January 5th, 2004, 01:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thank you gianfranco , I will be sailing the Mediteranea on Sunday and am looking forward to it! I am also looking forward to learning lots of new phrases in as many languages as I can fit into this pea brain of mine !!!!!!! I for one,think that is what the travel experience is all about. I'll let you know about my wonderful time,Rosie :o)
Old January 10th, 2004, 01:17 PM
lizzardo

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Food on Costa

Just beware of the hotdogs - my husband, brother and sister got food poisoning!
Old January 11th, 2004, 10:43 PM
janine

Default Re: Re: Re: Food on Costa

We sailed on the Costa Mediterranea on 12.20.

After reading these posts I find it difficult to boil this conversation down to The Well Traveled and Cultured vs. The Ugly Americans. I am American, well traveled, and own an Italian restaurant, and I thought the food on the Mediterranea was shamefully bad.

I am not a snob, and I know how tough it is to serve food to a ship full of people at once, but there is no excuse for what they were offering. I am someone who will eat airline and cafeteria food with a smile (though perhaps not with pleasure), yet there were several nights when I simply couldn't eat what was served to me in the main dining room and at the buffet. Not to mention the fictional descriptions of the food on the menu each night: Iceberg lettuce described as romaine, whipped topping described as whipped cream, and the like.

I was not looking for Kentucky Fried Chicken. I was looking for food designed with taste and texture in mind, understanding the constraints of the situation.

Although I don't agree with all of the criticisms I've read of Costa service, I must agree with those who felt that the food on board the Mediterranea was horrible and will keep me from ever cruising Costa again. Life's too short!