Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Costa
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 28th, 2004, 04:59 PM
SaraL

Default Strange Occurances

Has anyone had any "strange occurances" happen to them while onboard a cruise ship? I was reading the Carnival message boards and a fe talke about deaths and sicknesses. Has anyone had this or something like it on a Costa cruise?
Sponsored Links
Old January 31st, 2004, 03:48 PM
Mortimes

Default Re: Strange Occurances

It sounds like many people die from the Costa food each voyage.
Old January 31st, 2004, 05:45 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Strange Occurances

Mortimes: Your attempt at humor has failed!

The food and service on the Atlantica was wonderful!
Old January 31st, 2004, 07:12 PM
Beginner

You should realize that what you posted could be construed by Costa to be libel, and you could be held legally responsible. Would be pretty easy for them to prove that it was a false statement, and given how many people read this board who are considering where to book their upcoming cruise vacations, damages would not be difficult either.

Don't think you're ever anonymous on the Internet, either.
Old January 31st, 2004, 08:30 PM
Mortimes

Default Re: Re: Re: Strange Occurances

Do you mean the people who claim the food is good could be sued for libel or were you refering to my comment?
Old February 1st, 2004, 10:15 PM
Jacobellis

Bonkoif, you should look up the meaning of libel.

And as long as we are looking up legal standards, let's look up the definition of "decadent cuisine" and see if Costa delivered it. Let's look up the rules on what happens when a company fails to live up to its end of a contract, such as in Tom's case with Costa. Let's look up and see if it is legal to serve hot dogs that make people vomit repeatedly until they are dehydrated. And then, just for kicks, let's look up "free speech."

What a bunch of hooey, all this "say something nice or don't say anything at all" crap. Or are these message boards just a mutual admiration society for pollyannas and Costa PR reps.

Also, if such comments are indeed libelous, then I suggest that you may be missing out on a lucrative income trolling the internet with a gillnet and a bucket, because surely there are a million such comments posted every day.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 10:04 PM
Mortimes

Well said Jacobellis
Old February 3rd, 2004, 06:11 AM
enough is enough

The strangest occurrence is that somebody who never sailed on Costa, like Mortimes (see thread "the worst" in this message board) is so bitter to Costa: conflict of interest?
Old February 3rd, 2004, 01:58 PM
Mortimes

Not bitter at all, just don't understand why people rave about a cruise line that consistiently rates at the bottom of reader and cruiser's polls. Look at this website's reviews, the poll participants at this website, Conde Nast, Travel & Leisure, other websites etc... Costa is at the bottom in every area except for appearence of ships. For someone to say the food and service was great just doesn't add up.
Old February 3rd, 2004, 09:03 PM
dove

Well I just returned this week from a week on the Atlantica. I have to say that I had a wonderful time. The staff were GREAT. It was very rare for a staff member to pass and not say goodmorning or good afternoon. I felt like a queen all week long. They couldn't do enough for you to make your stay a pleasant one.

I have heard a lot of negative comments on the food and I admit that I did not find the food to be great. Although I never had a problem finding something on the menu that I would enjoy. But what do you expect? It';s an Italian cruise line. We were a large group and a lot of them enjoyed the food very much. If you dislike what you ordered they will gladly bring you something else.

The ship was beautiful and very very clean.
Old February 4th, 2004, 06:42 AM
Puzzled

Well, I wouldn’t say the majority find Costa awful. There are severe differences in the poster’s opinions, but, looking also other boards/sites, the average is “not good-not bad”.
My opinion is that Costa went down a bit after they were purchased by Carnival, but on the other hand their prices went down as well.
I never pretend to have 5 star service for a 3 star price, so when I want a 5 star cruise I choose Crystal or Seaburn, but of course I pay for it two-three times Costa fares.
Another explanation of the bad reviews could be that Costa is not for Americans or Anglo-Saxon in general.
Actually it is better rated by Germans, Spanish, French and of course Italian people than Americans and English
Food is another issue as it’s a very personal feeling, but of course anyone is entitled to measure the food with its own taste, although some of the bad comments suggest that they come from people only used American food or foreign restaurants in US, while some of good ones come from Americans used to travel a lot abroad. What I do not understand is the tone of disdain in some comments
It would be better to say Costa does not match my taste rather than they are serving garbage, as to be polite towards other posters who find Costa good.
Old February 4th, 2004, 11:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

Dear Puzzled,

AMEN !
Old February 4th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Tom F

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Strange Occurances

Dear Puzzled:
I am one of the ones who state that the food that Costa serves is HORRIBLE. Microwaved garbage. And I have traveled all over the world, and I ahve eaten in the best Italian restaurants. This is my desription of the food and I stand by it. I was served better food in an army mess hall.
Now you say thast the rates have been discounted on Costa. Me, taking a Holdiay cruise paid top dollar. If I paid around three hundred for 8 days I would have expected what they served. However I did not. But the bottome line is that they have serious problems. If they could operate this line running discounted rates, let them do it. I dont look for bargains when I am on vacation. I want good quality food and accomidations The comforet was good, the food stunk as well as the staff.
And I will post that they serve garbage on this boat. I dont want to see another person who is going on a Costa cruise, to go through what I went. This is a disgrace of a cruise company. They are mismanaged. A terrible operation. So if you are qualified to state they are not, give the facts.
Old February 4th, 2004, 07:28 PM
bobbi

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Strange Occurances

Tom F.

Can you please give us some names of good Italian restaurants as we are going to Rome, Florence and Naples during the summer. Grazie!
Old February 4th, 2004, 10:31 PM
browezilla

I don't recall the name of the restaurant, but there is one that overlooks the Forum ruins. I found it very good, and the scenery is terrific.
Ciao et Prego
Old February 6th, 2004, 01:00 PM
Tom F

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Strange Occurances

Where will you be staying Bobi, I would be glad to help
Old February 6th, 2004, 01:42 PM
bobbi

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Strange Occurances

Westin Excelsior on Rome , near the Spanish Steps
Old February 6th, 2004, 08:50 PM
Tom F

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Strange Occurances

Bobi, I will get you the name and numbers of some fine restaurants. I have to locate some of the cards I have with the information. I will try to get back to you with that by Sunday. I will email it to you.
Old March 16th, 2004, 08:13 PM
LCruise

I agree the food was exceptionally mediocre. The more experienced travelers that I was sitting with at dinner were extremely upset. As for myself and travel companion, both of our stomachs were destroyed after the first day of the vacation and have still not recovered completely and we have been off the boat for almost 3 days now. I wondered if others experienced our same condition but didn’t want to address such issues on board.
Old March 16th, 2004, 09:56 PM
Denys

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Strange Occurances

Thanks for the warning.What food's do you think we should try to avoid?ei. buffet,breakfast, pasta....or should we pack boxes of granola bars. Maybe it would be safer to go on a beer diet.
Old March 17th, 2004, 09:39 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Sara754

hmm ok i didnt really mean to start this post as one for arguing.. but whatever..

Carnival Destiny 2004
Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas 2005
Royal Caribbean Empress of the Seas 2006
Crown Princess 2007
Carnival Valor 2009

Carnival Freedom June 2011!
Old March 21st, 2004, 09:59 AM
Enuff

I am about to embark on my second cruise on the Atlantica in 2 years. All I can say is the first was thoroughly enjoyable and as far as the food was concerned it did not rate up there with my experiences in Italy however it is very palatable and if you are going on a cruise to just eat why not save your money and dine in some five star restaurants and stop complaining. I notice that Tom has complained across the board on his cruise experience and he has the right to do so. But enuff is enough.. AMORE
Old March 22nd, 2004, 09:36 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Sara754

I second that Enuff

Carnival Destiny 2004
Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas 2005
Royal Caribbean Empress of the Seas 2006
Crown Princess 2007
Carnival Valor 2009

Carnival Freedom June 2011!
Old March 25th, 2004, 04:21 PM
johnson

the funny thing is having been on carnivals and costas, i found the costa food infinitely better, and i must drop more than any poster here on michelin res's all the time, but the lobster, and meat dishes on carnival, laughable, while the pasta on the costa is fantastic, realistic expectations would be a good primer for most,
Old April 2nd, 2004, 10:58 AM
SMITTY

A midget, sailing on Princess' s Grand Princess, was swallowed whole by the toilet in his cabin off the coast of the Grand Cayman islands.

The suction on those things is incredible.

Smitty.