Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Costa
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 13th, 2004, 06:11 PM
5 star sucker

Default costa fortuna nightmare

Just returned home from a costa fortuna cruise..Feb.10 2004.

take my word for it dont step foot on that joke of a cruise...it a BIg waste of time and money.....................dont get suckered in by its 5 STAR rating...it should be a negative 100....

P.s. I have traveled since 1969...and i dont complain much beut I have to stop you...dont go .........................bye. 5 star sucker...
Sponsored Links
Old February 13th, 2004, 07:18 PM
BlueC

Default Re: costa fortuna nightmare

Curious to know where you got the 5-star rating from?

Cheers
Old February 13th, 2004, 07:31 PM
MCurrie

Details details........
I'm going on the Mediterranea in April.
What can I do to prepare myself? Since I can't get my money back and have to go......
Old February 14th, 2004, 07:08 PM
5 star sucker

Default Re: Re: costa fortuna nightmare

Hi..I get my 5-star rating from my travel agent!! I alway thought cruises are rated like hotels are rated...

bye bye..
Old February 14th, 2004, 07:09 PM
5 star sucker

HI......SO SORRY TO HEAR THAT ARE YOU ON THE COSTA FORTUNA/...
Old February 14th, 2004, 07:11 PM
Tom F

Mcurrie, since you have to go, just make the best of it. You can have a real meal in Puerto Rico and Nassau. Stick to the grill on the upper deck, dont expect much of anything edible from the main restaurant.
Old February 15th, 2004, 09:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Maggie

MCurrie
How about going with an open mind and know you are going to enjoy yourself. I have found thats always the best way to go. If you go looking for the bad then thats all you will see. Hope you have a great vacation!
Maggie
Old February 15th, 2004, 01:50 PM
MCurrie

I'm definitely going with an open mind! I have this wonderful thought that I'll even lose weight (that'll be a first for being on a cruise)!!! As far as the other members going with me (five males), I'm sure they'll devour the pizzas and love ever bite. They'll love roaming every 'nook and cranny' of the ship, while I'm on my balcony reading and avoiding the crowds.....Now if only TomF would have a book written by then, I'd be able to have something to read.....
Old February 15th, 2004, 05:57 PM
future costa

The Costa Fortuna in the Canary Islands right NOW and is NOT in the Carribean. Only the Atlatica and Med are.
Old February 16th, 2004, 10:28 AM
Cruise Maniac

Tom F

I have been reading your posts since your 1st time, I believe it was 1/13/04. I really felt bad for you then but now sorry to say its getting old. You have pounced on everyone that has posted their postive expeirences. I think everyone understands you had a bad experience and like I said felt for you but now its time to move on. Anyone that comes to this board will see everything you have written and can use their own judement you don't have to kep *harping* on it.

I have also read about the Carnival sickness but there is nothing I or you can do about that. This is not the first time a cruise ship has had this problem and I am sure it won't be the last. When you have that many people in a confined space anything can happen. That can happen anyplace not just on cruise ships. If you want to stay home and never cruise again then so be it. Thats your choice. I will be leaving this Sat. to cruise for 7 wonderful days with my husband on the Atlantica and we can't wait. This will be our 2nd time on the Atlantica and I am sure it will not be our last.

Please take a breath and relax. You have done what you set out to do and thats tell of your terrible time on a Costa ship. Now let others read your posts and those of others and make their own decision. Please..............................
Old February 16th, 2004, 11:51 AM
Tom F

Maggie, once again, you state how wonderfull your experience is with the Atlantica, I will state how rotten my experience was with the Med and Costa Mgt.
When someone comes onto this board for advise, I will give it to them. That is my right and I will continue to do so. It is time for you to relax.
Read the majority of posts Maggie, they are NEGATIVE on Costa. Have a great cruise, and I will be here when you get back. lets hope they can get it together for your cruise.
Old February 16th, 2004, 12:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

I believe this is only the 2nd time I have ever posted about my POSITIVE experience. Unlike you that lays in wait to post. I also know how to say please and thank you. I also have been to other web sites and not all are negitive as you say. And as I said this is the 2nd time we have been on the Atlantica. I do NOT pretend to know about the other ships and I would NEVER post a negitive or for that matter a positive about a ship I have never been on! As you said you have a right to post about your experiences and I have the right to post about mine.

As far as *them* getting it together for our cruise. Last year they had it together and I have no reason to believe they won't again this year.

Have a nice day!
Old February 16th, 2004, 03:01 PM
Passenger

I think that it is time for everbody to take a cruise. May I suggest the Titanic.
Old February 16th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Michael I agree...

Stupid Tom....

Tom I was talking to you and you are the one that posted on this thread. I fully intend to have a wonderful vacation. Thank you.
Old February 16th, 2004, 06:42 PM
kmk

I'm sailing the Mediterranea on March7th. I booked quite a while back and, although I wish I'd checked this message board BEFORE booking, I'm hopeful that, given the more recent sailings' positive reviews, we'll have a great time anyway.

I think it's very useful to have a place like this to express opinions. The great thing about opinions is that you can choose to listen to them, or not. People should be encouraged to speak about their experiences and not be personally attacked when they do.

I can see that Tom F's opinions about his cruise are very strong. Considering his was not the only negative review, I believe there is very likely a lot of merit in his opinion. I also recognize that perhaps his experience may have been far worse than it was for the average Costa passenger.

While Tom F has been very forceful in his statements, he does not seem to become insulting with fellow posters until they have become insulting with him. Why are so many of you making this into something personal? If you find his postings unpleasant, don't read them. I, for one, appreciate hearing everything, good and bad...I give it the weight I think it deserves and then make up my mind. You can take or leave the message...why shoot the messenger?

Visiting this message board would be a lot more pleasant for all if it didn't include that "mean" streak. I'd like to get the info without feeling I'd just witnessed a fight.

Hope this board gets friendlier real soon.

KMK
Old February 16th, 2004, 10:21 PM
BlueC

Quote:
5 star sucker

Hi..I get my 5-star rating from my travel agent!! I alway thought cruises are rated like hotels are rated...
As far as I know Costa has never been a 5-star cruise line, more like 3 3 1/2 stars. Obviously you were misinformed by your TA. Isnt that so?

Cheers
Old February 17th, 2004, 11:23 AM
bobbi

TomF;

I have sailed on Costa Classica, Romantica, Atlantica and Mediterranea.

Also Carnival Fantasy, Ecstasy, Celebration, Imagination, Carnivale (no longer with the company) Sensation and Jubilee.

RCCL Sovereign of the Sea

Holland America Zuiderdam, Maasdam, Noordam and Westerdam

Anytime you sail in an enclosed area with over 2000 people, you must take precautions with hand washing. Everytime you leave the ship and go into a foreign port, then you must be careful and cleanse your hands when entering the ship.

It doesn't make any difference what ship you are sailing on.........you must sanitize your hands!
Old February 17th, 2004, 07:38 PM
BlueC

Bobbi,

Spot on!!

************************************************** **********************************************

For a FAQ on the Norovirus or "Norwalk-like viruses (NLV) go to:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/...rovirus-qa.htm

For food to be contaminated with the Norovirus someone first has to infect it. So obviously someone is not washing their hands after going to the toilet, vomitting (seasickness) or when cleaning (sanitation).

In Tom F's case we should be talking about food poisoning, Salmonella, E.coli, etc.
Did you contract any of these? Did anyone else?

For an overview of all Foodborne Infections go to:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/disea...fections_g.htm

For a FAQ on Salmonellosis go to:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/disea...nellosis_g.htm

For a FAQ on Escherichia coli O157:H7 (E.coli) go to:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/disea...chiacoli_g.htm

************************************************** **********************************************

Cheers
Old February 18th, 2004, 01:21 PM
Juan

I leave the Costa board for a few weeks... and this is what happens??

As LarryT and many others here, my wife and I had a wonderful time aboard the Mediterranea, with NO major complaints. We had a blast, and will cruise Costa again.
Old February 19th, 2004, 04:08 PM
Jacobellis

This message board deleted my posts.

In them I defended those who would criticize Costa, and wondered aloud (in writing!) about the soundness of attacks on TomF and other criticisers.

Juan, you are a fair-minded sort. How do you feel about that?
Old August 19th, 2004, 10:28 AM
Mario sebastiani

After reading most of the posts on this site I feel that it is emotions that are running wild and the actual rating of the ship is taking a back seat. I have sailed on 3 Costa ships....Victoria.....Atlantica and the Med. I have had a wonderful time on all three.
Most people should realize that the Costa fleet is a European line and will cater to the European crowd and not the North American one. I am sure that with 2000 passengers on board you will always have a few that will find fault with everything. While I was on the Victoria we had the same 3 American families that were complaining, that there was to much Italian spoken on board and that they did not like the food at all. I could understand that ,after all food is a very personal thing. However the one family would be in the dining room night after night and the kids would order hotdogs and fries in the dinig room. I alternated between sea food and filet mignon. How could one say filet mignon made them sick but hotdogs 7 nights in a row was o.k. Anyways go on the ship and make up your own mind. If you go anywhere with a negative feeling you will for sure pick up on negative things.

P.S. Just to give an exsample of the complaints....While in line for the buffet which had at least 100 choices the group in front of us were making stupid remarks about the food.. Very loudly they would say what the hell is this ...what the hell is that ....they were reffering to roasted peppers and roasted sliced eggplants...With the over 100 choices for the whole hour they were complaining about the two or three selections they never saw before....Really!
Old September 22nd, 2004, 03:21 AM
Frank S.

Hi,

I am European and have a young family. My kids love Costa.
I will be sailing the Costa Fortuna in December 2004 to Spain and Morocco.
My parents were on board of that ship last January to the Canary islands. They were very happy with it (have sailed about 40 times and on most lines, except Carnival). They rated the food on the Costa Fortuna better than on their recent cruise aboard the QM2. A bit too crowded though.
Out of 8 cruises I have sailed three times aboard Costa ships (Allegra, Victoria, Riviera) and was always happy.

Costa has the great advantage of having 5 languages on board which is important for the Europeans and for sure English is not their first language.

I'll report back in January 2005 of my trip on this 4 star ship.

Frank
Old November 6th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Familiar Face

You ranted but never said why!

So, why?
Old February 25th, 2008, 03:30 AM
Beginner

Well perhaps you should try again mam, we just returned from the Caribbean cruise this week and were totally pleased with all aspects of this cruise experience. You must be one of those fussy people who complain about waiting
Code:
en board a tour bus because of an  how enthusiastic cruiser who knows how youwhats the rush?  you're on a cruise and relax.  Some people cant be pleased.  I thoroughly recommend this line and ship and staff if you want to feel like you are e royalty.  the food is endless well prepared and varied, the enterainment was professional and enjoyable and varied, the staff met any need of the busy deck, young children have their own area to enjoy separate from the more relaxed quiet pool for adults, the bands were varied and played almost 24/7 and the ship was meticaulously maintained.  We are looking forward to a summer cruise in Europe this summer with the same ship and personnel who usually stay with the line (an indication of their enjoying their employer and the other members of the staff)

we have NO complaints only praises.  This Cruise line knows how to entertain ANY ETHNIC GROUP.
Old March 25th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Beginner

Costa Fortuna BEWARE!

With the anticipation of a cruise on a European ship, our expectations rose quickly with the promise of the finest Italian steamships transporting their passengers in a luxurious vessel with all the amenities deserving of the elite. When we sailed on the Costa Fortuna departing Fort Lauderdale on December 16, 2007 our expectations were quickly reduced to disappointment.

I was asked about the cruise and had to reveal that it was our worst cruise so far. We have sailed on Carnival cruises and I on a Disney cruise.

FIRST IMPRESSION

We quickly noticed that the crew on board was much less friendly than others on previous cruises. I let it go, at first, figuring that they were in the process of preparing the ship from the previous cruise to accommodate the newly boarding passengers. I soon realized that this initial perception was to set the tone for the entire cruise.

CREW
On each previous cruise, I noted the friendly nature of the entire crew which would greet me/us at each encounter. On our last cruise our restaurant server was so friendly that we quickly came to think of her as a cherished friend. She knew us by name after one night of service, had our favorite cocktails ready without asking. On the Fortuna our dinner server never introduced himself although the assistant did tell us his name. Our assistant server was Jeff, the main server remains unnamed in my recollection as he did while on board. Each night, our server would take our order without offering any advice or comments. While my wife was ordering her food, he would look away as if he was preoccupied about the other tables rather than ours. A total lack of caring! While on the Fortuna, I would estimate that about 1 in 8 crew members would greet in any way. Our room attendant was Eva and very personable.

FOOD
On the first night dinner was mediocre with bread that was probably, at least, a day or two old again I figured there was no time, in port, to bake fresh bread. The bread got harder by the day.

The meal presentations were pleasing to the eye, although not accurately depicted as described by the menu. The menu description was completely different than the mental image it created. I was flattered, at each meal, by the disappointment my wife shared as she ate and would say that I can cook so much better.

On Tuesday, we elected to visit the restaurant for lunch rather then fight the crowds at the buffet. A cocktail would have been nice but the waiter took our food orders and departed with no offer for any beverages. A server did come to refill water glasses starting to my right and finishing to my left so I requested more water and he said he would be right back. I saw him address two other tables and I asked for water again. I asked another waiter in a different area for water, he said he would be right over, never came by. I asked a third waiter who said he would get the water right away. I saw him about two minutes later serving food to another table. So after my wait of more than ten minutes I finally went to find my own water. I was expecting the maitre’d to visit the table but he conveniently missed ours. I noted this on several occasions where he would visit and serve at the adjacent tables but did not consult at our table. During the entire eight days, the maitre’d visited our table twice.

At this point I considered writing a day by day list of the continued disappointments but I did not. I usually prefer not to complain.

My wife, on one occasion, ordered a key lime dessert which consisted of a tasteless mousse on a pastry that was so hard it had to be cut by stabbing it with a knife.

About the fifth night, during another disappointing dinner and with another comment by my wife, I said that I can’t wait to get home so I could cook. This was the night I had a dessert with a zabaglione sauce which was more like a diluted vanilla pudding.

Once we arrived in Fort Lauderdale, we had breakfast and I noticed that we finally had some semi-fresh bread. This was one of the complaints I heard from other passengers that we encountered. All had indicated that the presentation of food was good but taste was lacking and each stated that all they could get was stale bread.

The drink card, I feel is a rip off. $59.00 for up to 20 soft drinks is double the price we have paid on other ships for unlimited drinks. That does not provide one soft drink for a family of 3 each day for the entire cruise. (8 days, 3 people, 20 drinks, 2 meals per day, $59.00 = rip off).

STATE ROOM
• The state room was mostly very nice, it appeared clean.
• We did note the lack of amenities that I thought had become the norm in most hospitality venues.
• There were no robes available for our use from room to pool or hot tub. We asked but were told that the robes were reserved for those staying in a suite. Our room attendant did later accommodate the request with some very worn robes.
• The liquid soap container in the shower was empty on the second day and the next day we found it on the vanity still empty.
• We also noticed that there were no towel animals typically found when a guest returns to the room at the end of the day.

HOT TUB
We used one of the hot tubs, starboard side on deck 9 but there was some type of chemical imbalance that caused some skin and eye irritation. We told a crew member but I don’t believe any action was taken since another night we used the hot tub on the port side but noticed the other tub still seemed to have an unusual odor like we noted previously.

SHOPPING ON BOARD
• The port side shops carried the usual array souvenirs and sundries fortunately we could buy the items not supplied in the room.
• The starboard shop seemed to use about 40% of the display area for purses, handbags, etc. Are they such hot items that the display is so large?
• Shopping could have been more enticing except that the overly inflated pricing, even with the 50% mark downs were still overpriced.

PORTS OF CALL
• San Juan – We arrived about 1730 local time and had time to visit El Morrow but arriving so late in the day, it was soon dark and many places were closing their businesses for the day, which made for an early return to the ship. I would have liked to have had more time to explore some other sites in this city.

• Saint Thomas - Was our favorite port of call where we elected not to book an island tour excursion which we thought rather expensive at $55.00 per person on board but to just spend the day shopping. We did happen into the tourism office where they recommended an island tour which we were able to take for only $25.00 per person. We met some of our ship mates that spent much more by booking on board.

• Catalina Isle – Was to be the Costa private island which created the expectation of a relaxing day on the beach. A trip to the toilettes only offered a stressful barrage of aggressive street vendors that suffered a lack of ability to accept no for an answer.

• La Romana – Upon arrival it appeared to be the typical freight dock area, arriving at night it was so uninviting that we did not disembark. My thought was that there must be some contractual agreement that if Costa is going to anchor at Catalina that they must also dock at La Romana. Advertising on board indicated that there was not much to do at La Romana, so I don’t understand why we should be there.

• Nassau – A mirror of many other ports except prices are far more inflated than other locations. Glad I got to see it glad I won’t have to return.

• Fort Lauderdale – Upon arrival at our home port, we requested the early disembarkation option because we had had enough of Costa but as I traversed through the terminal hauling two large pieces of luggage, a woman from Costa proceeded to scold me for not having my “passport in hand?, so I asked which hand would she like it, showed her the passport, placed it back in my pocket and continued to the customs desk. He asked, “ how was your trip?? before I could answer he stated, never mind, I know, you should try Princess Cruises, they take care of you on their cruises. I found it really sad that the US Customs Agent sympathized with us for traveling with Costa.

We take vacations to relax and get away from our hectic daily routines and we chose to cruise for the opportunity to relax on a nice sea voyage. The Costa name and promises were intriguing to us but our expectations were quickly shattered.