Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Costa
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 20th, 2004, 12:12 AM
Summer

Default I am scared of the Costa/Med. 3/7 trip I plan.

I am not sure what I can say but after reading all the reviews I am really scared that the money I spent on airfare and the cruise is going to be a big waste. My husband and I booked this trip for relaxation and a good time. We never had a real honeymoon and this trip is supposed to be it. I am a Hospitality & Tourism major at a University and my expectations are high. We went on the Carnival Triumph last December and were extremely disapointed even with a Catagory 11 Suite. Can anyone tell me something that would let me be excited for this cruise?
Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2004, 12:25 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: I am scared of the Costa/Med. 3/7 trip I plan.

We never had a real honeymoon and this trip is supposed to be it. I am a Hospitality & Tourism major at a University and my expectations are high. We went on the Carnival Triumph last December and were extremely disapointed even with a Catagory 11 Suite

Summer.. the cruise may turn out just fine for you. And not to be harsh, but, if you're a Hospitality and Tourism major, I'm a bit surprised you wouldn't have researched the line a bit more before you booked. Especially, as you say, since you were disappointed in a CAT 11 on the Triumph.

"In the industry" Costa is generally considered to be a budget cruise line, with ratings somewhat lower than Carnival. If you were unhappy with a Carnival product, you should have probably been looking to move up the ratings ladder, rather than down.

That said, the Mediterranea is, in my view, a beautiful ship, and if since I've been on her in Nov/Dec they've worked out some of the service and food issues we reported on, you could have a wonderful cruise.

Since you're booked and going... you may as well to do your best to go and enjoy. If you do , you probably will.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 20th, 2004, 08:19 AM
Juan

Summer,

I emailed you. Relax, I think you will be just fine... :-)

Check your email.

Juan
Old February 20th, 2004, 08:23 AM
future costa

Every week between 2 and 4 THOUSAND cruisers disembark from the two Costa ships. We are seeing a very small sample of opinions from the total amount of cruisers.

This is the first I have heard of "budget", that scares me as I am not paying "budget."

I have been petrified (of my upcoming cruise) since first reading this board but I keep saying to myself that a cruise line MUST listen to their customers otherwise they would not continue to stay in business. Carnival, the parent, has an obligation to their stockholders and owners to make a profit, I can not see them going our of their way to discourage clients. I can not understand a multi million dollar investment in new ships and then serve "GravyTrain" to unsuspecting cruisers.

What has hapened because of the negative posts is that the anticipation of the vacation has turned into a nightmare of worry of "what might happen to me?" (I am not saying do not post negative posts, I am stating how I react.)

Budget??? woe is me.
Old February 20th, 2004, 06:25 PM
Passenger

Future Costa, I have posted some negative reviews, however, if you check my detailed post cruise review you will also find many positives. My family and I had a nice vacation, despite some disappointments and aggravations. My biggest disappointment was the food quality. Go with a positive attitude and have fun.

I'm sorry that my posts brought you anxiety.

DavidSL
Old February 20th, 2004, 07:17 PM
Larry T

Hi Summer !!

Just one mans opinion. Went out on Medit 2/8 - 2-15 you can see my posts on this board.

I also read the Costa reviews here and can understand your feelings. I actually felt sick as I boarded the ship. My wife and I really needed a vacation and when I found these reviews (after I booked) I felt so bad, not so much for me but for my wife who works a a customer service rep for a national company and gets beat up daily.. she needed a rest badly.

I walked on board expecting problems and was on guard.

Then the unexpected hit. People cleaning wiping, helping with customer questions laughing smiling and having fun! This totally disarmed me. The rest is history.

We had a great trip on a classy ship with classy Costa people. They speak several languages on the ship so no matter what you speak they will be able to assist you. (WE) HAD A GREAT TRIP ON COSTA. The food was supberb and the staff could not have been any more helpful. Be sure to go to the midnight buffet. If you are not hungry just go to take pictures you will not believe your eyes!!

Lets say all the people had a bad trip.. We owe them our thanks for getting things straightened out for us. Their bad reviews paid off I guess. So enjoy yourself !!! Have a toast with your husband to the negative reviewers. LT
Old February 20th, 2004, 08:49 PM
Tom F

Default Re: Re: I am scared of the Costa/Med. 3/7 trip I plan.

Future Costa. Just to let you know that Costa is really going bargain bargain rate now. How low can they put the fares before they start to loose money.

Larrry T: I really do hope they are getting it together. And I do hope Costa has been reading this board and see what the consumers are talking about. If I were the CEO of this line, I would take immediate action to correct these problems. This is not good PR for Costa. And I am sure the kind of reviews which are posted here do change cruisers mind about not cruising with Costa. They need to totally revamp their customer service as well as culinary staff . And they need to teach many of the employees manners.

Summer. Relax and have a good time. Based on the fares I am seeing for Costa, you are getting a low rate. Enjoy this rate. The ship is beautiful, the cabin was comfortable, The cabin stewards were great. Just dont expect much out of the kitchen. Try not to let them book your airfare. And ignore the nasty workers. And be careful when the European passengers get on or off the elevator, or when they are near any sort of line. You will be mowed down.
Old February 20th, 2004, 08:52 PM
Passenger

I went on the Mediterranea on Feb 8 and had a great time. We ate in the Alternate dining room one evening and thoroughly enjoyed our leisurely meal. We also ate at the grill one evening and they had tablecloths on the tables and the food was great. When you go to the dining room if the menu for the evening does not have anything that you would like, you can always order from the page on the left side of the menu where they list the grilled fish, grilled chicken, etc. You can also order Caesar salad every night from that page.

Be sure to go to the evening activities. They are so much fun and meet Silvia.
Old February 20th, 2004, 09:07 PM
Tom F

Default Re: Re: Re: I am scared of the Costa/Med. 3/7 trip I plan.

Oh by the way summer, that is in my honest opinion.
Old February 21st, 2004, 02:14 PM
Passenger

See my post in the other thread that you wrote in. And most of HAVE A SUPER TIME!!!!
Old February 21st, 2004, 02:44 PM
Summer

Default Re: Re: I am scared of the Costa/Med. 3/7 trip I plan.

I was told that Costa was a set up from Carnival. I would not even say it was lower, check out the pricing. That is why we choose the line.