Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Costa
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 19th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Passenger

Default Costa Med Was Icky

My family and I went on the Costa Med Christmas week. We were very excited to go but very dissapointed with what we found. We found the cuisine lacking in flavor and sometimes cold and icky. We found the service to be indifferent at times. We found the destination scheduling to leave one without enough time to explore. I would choose another cruise next time.

Above is my acceptable vanilla review due to censureship constraints place on us by the administrator of this forum. I expect this will disappear as well. 1984.........

DavidSL
Sponsored Links
Old February 19th, 2004, 05:06 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Costa Med Was Icky

I apologize for stating the following post was deleted. Only some of my posts were deleted. This one was not. Good cruising all.

Start of original review:

I was on the Costa Mediterranea for the Christmas week of 12/21. Overall, I had a nice time as did my family. Following are some of my observations:

Embarkation: Organized and painless.

Luggage: Took twelve hours to receive once on board.

Room: Comfortable with a very pleasant cabin boy -- not as pleasant as my daughter's cabin boy Gerald, however. (an ongoing family joke.)

Service: Not horrible and not good. Our waiter and assistant waiter were great. The cabin boy was good. The cruise director friendly, but I tired of the constant sales pitches. The other staff wasn't rude but also weren't really friendly and didn't seem service oriented.

Food: Was basically bad. You can find things to eat but expect some food to not be as described, not to be warm or cooked, not to taste good, not to be tender. I'm not sure how many different ways I can express bad. I like to eat and have a well travelled sense of taste. If this is what good Italian food tastes like I feel badly and will look on Italians with sympathy going forward. Veal that you can make shoes out of, etc. Stick to the bad buffet food and the bland cold pizza when possible. The desserts were generally tasty.

Entertainment: Opera Singer was very enjoyable. The clasical pianist was above average and I went to see him again in the lounge. Nice guy, played classical requests.
The magicial was a joke. The Costa variety shows were OK on the high school play level bad side -- but better than sitting and staring at a wall. (just the worst singers -- I couldn't believe how bad their voices were.) The talent show was OK. The steel drummers weren't top notch.

Ports: Poorly organized schedule did not allow us to enjoy the destinations. I wouldn't go on a cruise ship based on destinations in the future. I would make sure to go based on food, entertainment and comfort on the ship as this appears to be what this mode of travel is all about. And the beach in the Dominican Republic -- what a joke. It was like being on the beach in Venice CA during the fourth of July. Privacy for you and 2400 of your closest friends.

Disembarkation: Took a long time, but my flight was six hours later so "I" didn't really care about the wasted time.

Overall: 2 out of 5 stars. I would choose a different cruise line next time.

One last note -- When travelling with this many Europeans you will need to sharpen your elbows. Lines are apparently not a cultural concept acceptable to them.

David