Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Costa
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 18th, 2004, 01:25 AM
Snick's Guy

Default Costa and it's bad press

I know that people could find something wrong with any cruise line, but I have noticed an unusually large number of posts on various boards here over the past year or so about people having issues with Costa.

The most common thread I see are from past-passengers who compare Costa now to the way it was 10 or more years ago. Almost universally, people are saying that Costa has gone downhill in food and service.

I would be interested in any comments regarding what appears to be a downward trend in terms of PR for Costa.
Sponsored Links
Old July 19th, 2004, 10:55 PM
John L.

Default Re: Costa and it's bad press

We have cruised about 17 times and once on the Costa Atlantica about 7 years ago. When I booked with Costa my TA looked at me like I was crazy. I thought the "international" flavor would add to the cruise enjoyment. I never did another Costa cruise since then. The food was ok but the service was terrible. The announcements in 20 languages drove me crazy. It seemed the PA system was always in full blast. The pizza was the best of any cruise line but they had a separate restaurant with limited hours without takeout and no way as convenient as on the Carnival Spirit with a 24 hour window. The entertainment was geared to the international crowd--a juggler, magician, etc. The ship was nice but the dining room was very noisy. Our original table was directly under a big air vent and was so loud that we could not converse at the table. One of the table mates who was Italian American called the maitre d and in Italian requested a different table. We were immediately taken to a table for 6 in the opposite direction. There are just too many ships out there that provide a pleasant experience so why ask for trouble...

John L.
Old September 20th, 2004, 03:51 PM
Admiral

Unless you are Italian and sailing out of the Med, please dont touch them. They are cheap cruising with nice ships and bad food and MAJOR attitude.

And this is a Europeans opinion. You can spend your money better
Old September 21st, 2004, 09:10 PM
iowaguy

I have been on the Costa Atlantica and Victoria and had a wonderful time on both as did everyone I was with. I have sailed Carnival Glory and thought Costa was much better than Carnival. I have the Med. booked for next Feb. I would have to tell anyone who want's the have a big party experience with alot of fun and food Costa is the place. If you want really super dining and a very upper class atmosphere try Crystal Cruises but they won't be as wild. There is nothing wrong with Costa and I have never had a problem.
Old September 22nd, 2004, 05:43 PM
chip brady

Default Re: Re: Costa and it's bad press

Hey iowaguy,
Iwas raised in ottimwa, Iowa. Where is your home? We are sailing the Costa Med Feb 27th. Are you on that cruise? Afriend of ours just got off the Med and said it was the best he had been on in 12 cruises!! We are looking forwaed to it, if there is anything left in the Caribbean.

chip brady cb2052@earthlink.net?
Old October 1st, 2004, 03:56 PM
iowaguy

Chip,

No we are sailing Feb 6-13 on the Super bowl cruise. We go every year it's possible.**** edited to delete commercial reference*** Check it out - 1500 of the best people you will ever meet mostly from the Cleveland area.
It's a blast and I'm sure you will find Costa a wonderful experience. We have been on the Atlantica which is a sister ship to the Mediterania so I know it will be great. We actually booked a suite this year and are really looking forward to it since we have always had inside rooms before. Anyone can find fault on any vaction, we travel with people who find fun on any vacation. Go - drink - dance - have fun

KDS
Old October 7th, 2004, 01:58 PM
chip brady

Default Re: Re: Costa and it's bad press

Thanks iowaguy,
We always have a good time wherever we go. Hope your cruise is great also. I have one question. How strict is dress code on formal nites?

Thanks chip brady
Old October 7th, 2004, 06:37 PM
dawcruiser

I have only been on the Costa Victoria I sailed here winter of 2003. The dress code was OK. I only ever take a suit. I wore it on the two formal nights. I wore dress slacks shirt and tie the rest of the nights. Notices some guys without ties. BUT you must wear a bedsheet on the last night. NO you don't have to but if you want to have fun please do.

Go and have fun

Don Worrell

dON WORRELL
Old October 7th, 2004, 06:56 PM
silvershadow

Was on the Costa Atlantica in Feb. 04. The ship was great. The food was OK. The staff in the dining room was great. But the rest of the staff left a lot to be desired. They were more interested in getting to where they where going, than worrying about the guest. I for one will never sail on COSTA again.
Old October 13th, 2004, 09:58 AM
Donna Johnson

I cruised on the Atlantica in january 2003,the 18th to be exact,I went with a large group of friends we all had a very good time. Food was great all day and also the lovely dinners in the evening,staff was falling over backward to accomendate,looking forward to this january 23,on the mediterranea,with more friends and another for sure good time ,any one else booked for this time feel free to e-mail me.
Old January 3rd, 2005, 04:55 AM
Barbara Ollive

Have just returned from Christmas cruise on Costa Fortuna. Had never fancied a cruise and only went to see our daughter who is working on the ship.
From now on, cruising is the only holiday for us! The ship was magnificent, as were the food, service,atmosphere and facilities. WELL DONE COSTA!!