Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Costa
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 31st, 2005, 07:49 PM
Passenger

Default Costa Allegra

Just back from 12 nights on Costa Allegra. Into Miami 3oth Jan 2005
This was my first time, and sad to say last! I had to have a look for myself, as some Costa reviews on here are pretty bad.
This cruise I think could only be booked in Europe. I will list the good and bad to save a long message.
Arr at Miami, not as long to get through as I had been warned, about 20 mins.
Car to take us to the the Sheritan at Biscayne was arranged and there within 5 mins, very good.
Arr at hotel, no room set aside, got one, went up, and someone in it!
Reception, another room and $25 voucher for bar or food.
Met the Costa staff at the hotel, found out about the transfer, talked to the girls a few times. Coach came, forgot to give me a sticker for the transfer.
Arr, at the ship, check in OK and waited 3 hours for our cases.
Had a meeting with our host, only 6 English on the ship.
That makes it hard for me as I am a good mixer and like to make friends have a drink etc. The rest of the passengers could hardly speak with us. This made it a very, very long and boring cruise.
I must say that travel agents in the UK do not bother too much with Costa, and the main reason is that they can not get a phone line in to Costa office. One agent I know tried for 2 days and gave up. The result is that Costa are the last company they "try" to contact.
Theatre shows not too bad with dancers, a singer, a magic act and a flamenco show.
The entertainment team or animators as they are called did work very hard and I got to know them well.
90% of all activities were music and dance, with instruction mainly in Italian.
The cruise meals were quite good, staff fantastic.
Bar staff good, but drinks one of the most expensive I have ever seen, and I do like a drink, but not at those prices.
They do not give too much away, like 24 hour coffee that most ships have.
The ports of call were all ok. The ship did hit the quayside at Costa Rica, with a big hole that had to be repaired in Costa Rica. 15 hour delay, that cut our time at Grand Cayman. The Capt. gave us all wine with our meal the next day.
Back to Miami on time.
Off the ship and taken to shops for a few hours before our flight home.
I know security is most important, but please Miami Airport , get the check in desks organised better, and the luggage checks and the hand luggage checks. It was total madness. I would not go from a US airport again if it takes nearly 3 hours just to get to the gate.
Overall, the non English speaking aspect makes me not want to go on another. I know you might say it is an Italian line, in that case don't sell it the UK, if you are not going to cater for them.
Sponsored Links
Old January 31st, 2005, 08:13 PM
MATT AND MICHELLE

Default Re: Costa Allegra

Hello thanks for your letter.....you said drinks were expensive......HOW MUCH FOR A BEER? OR RUM AND COKE?
would it be posible to sneak a bottle in our suit case?
thanks
Old February 1st, 2005, 04:00 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Costa Allegra

Hi Matt
large beer was over 6.50euros
the rum and coke was a "watch what they give you" drink, by that I mean as follows:
I drink bacardi and coke.
on the list a bacardi 8 yr is , as far as I am concerned in the UK, the standard white bacardi, but on the ship it is a dark bacardi, which again, to me is not a bacardi and coke, as it is not white bacardi, yes?
So i had a look at the list which also has rum mixers, this uses white bacardi! So I had these, BUT, had to make sure every time, that I stated that I wanted a rum mixer with white bacardi.
Why, you might ask?
Bacardi and coke = 6.75 euros
Rum Mixer = 5.75 euros
over a couple of weeks, plus 15% service charge , and I do like a drink!, is quite a few dollars!
By the way, 6euros per day, per person is added to your bill for tips.
I am not sure if the Costa ships, for the USA market is in dollars or euros?
Which will make the drinks even dearer?
Old February 1st, 2005, 11:27 AM
Mrs. IY

Default Re: Re: Re: Costa Allegra

It is in dollars and it was $8.50 per person for us
Old February 1st, 2005, 11:41 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Costa Allegra

Did you know that you can go to reception on board and ask that the daily rate be removed?
We did and were able to give tips to the staff that we wanted to give to.
Old February 2nd, 2005, 01:07 PM
First Mate

Thanks so much for your review. We are considering this ship for a European cruise in May. I'm glad to hear the food was good. The non-English speaking won't bother us as we'll be sailing in Spain anyways, if we do decide on this ship. I have to admit we are hesitant reading these reviews though.
Old February 3rd, 2005, 01:03 AM
First Mate

Oh well, I just spoke to my ta and she told me not to book this line for Europe because Americans are being treated poorly. I hope things get better soon, Costa has some great itineraries. We will be doing the Sun Princess with a European itinerary instead. Happy travels
Old February 3rd, 2005, 07:50 AM
DanielP

Hello people...................this is an a cruiseline based out of Italy. What language did you expect them to speak? Russian??? If an Italian goes on an American cruise, do you think that there is alot of info in Italian? The answer is no! You people are the most ego-centric that I have ever seen. It is understood just why the Americans and Brits are viewed badly by the rest of the world.

On top of all of that, are you going to trust someone's opinion with grammar like that? Give me a break
Old February 3rd, 2005, 12:55 PM
First Mate

DanielP, I have no idea what you are talking about. Are you responding to another thread? No kidding, I know Italians have a dislike for American politics. I am a 3rd generation Italian American by the way. I was in Italy when we invaded Iraq. I am not going to waste $8000 for my family of 4 to be treaded poorly by the crew. Would you?Sound fair? Geez.
Old February 3rd, 2005, 02:13 PM
First Mate

There was no edit function by my last post so I guess I'll have to retype my thoughts. I agree with part of DanielP's post, it is not right for <some> to expect the crew to speak English when clearly this is an Italian flagged ship. It is not fair to say "you people are egocentric" as neither I nor anyone I know would ever be rude to non-English speaking crew. I do believe what my ta said, that Americans abroad are being treated poorly by this cruise line when abroad because of politics.

Post Edited (02-03-05 14:17)
Old February 3rd, 2005, 04:49 PM
Passenger

Hi
I am not sure who is being accused of bad grammar??
I think that DaniellaP is getting the wrong end of things here.
The fact that these cruises are
1. Sold out of the States
2.Sold out of the UK
means that Costa want English Speaking People?
Is that not right?
What I am saying is that most things are NOT for English Speaking Passengers.
That can be anything from activities to entertainment and tours.
If Costa want to advertise for passengers in the UK and The USA, then they should be more adaptable to the English Speaking market.
Otherwise don't bother.
Rod

Post Edited (02-03-05 16:51)
Old February 4th, 2005, 01:07 AM
regis

Miranda,
Do you know all crew but officers are not Itlian on Costa ships?
So i think being badly treated is not because of politics.
I've never been treated badly, but maybe this is because I never treat others badly, even when they do not understand me well.
Old February 4th, 2005, 08:49 AM
m sebas

I guess some people will believe only what they want to. There are no major cruise lines that are American registered. Yes the Captain, the officers and the officer staff are mainly Italian. If you check on all the cruise line web sites the nationality off their officers are about 99% European. This is true for Costa Holland America, Carnival and Princess
Old February 4th, 2005, 10:51 AM
First Mate

I am only reporting what my travel agent told me. I am not going to continue to defend myself here. We have not nor would we ever treat any crew of any line poorly, that is not who we are. My husband is Asian and just about every ship we've been on someone as asked him if he works there. I am just stating that I am not willing to spend $8000 for a mini suites for my family if we will be treated poorly by the staff. I believe the travel agent, she has no reason to lie to me. Has anyone sailed these ships in Europe? If not than none of you can comment on how Americans are treated abroad by Costa. My travel agent and others in her office had very disappointed clients when sailing this cruise line in Europe. I don't care if you believe it or not. I am just reporting what someone with experience told me, at a well known internet cruise specialty agency.

Post Edited (02-04-05 10:55)
Old February 4th, 2005, 11:11 AM
regis

Miranda,
Please donít misunderstand me.
Iím not suggesting you treat others poorly, Iím only guessing if most complainers behave like ďugly egocentric AmericansĒ Iíve seen all around the world.
Do you know that a poll among cruise liners crews Iíve seen on a magazine put Americans on top of the list of worst passengers in term of bad behaviour and rudeness?
Having said that, most Americans I know are really nice and open minded.
I believe youíd better choose another line rather than Costa or MSC if you wish to feel like home.
Costa is definitely not what the average American is looking for while cruising.
On top of that, Allegra is not their best vessel, although I find it very elegant.
I wish you a wonderful cruise.
Old February 4th, 2005, 12:24 PM
First Mate

Oh believe me, I know travelers can be crochedy. I hate to say it but most of the complainers I experience are older. I definitely notice way more compainers when I'm cruising. I don't want to feel like home, otherwise I wouldn't leave the states. And as far as foreingn politics go, I agree with most Europeans. I don't consider myself to be the "average traveler" though, and I'm not saying I'll never try Costa, just not right now. Happy travels :-)