Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Costa
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 4th, 2005, 06:50 PM
Valerie and Mike

Default June 5th Costa Magica

We just booked our honeymoon- 2 days in Rome, followed by a 7 day cruise on the Costa Magica. We live in Manhattan and are looking forward to starting our life together with a chance to see a bit of the world. Any advice? Neither of us have done much cruise (I have been on a Carnival Carribbean Cruise and he has been on yachts, but never a big cruiseline). Any suggestions on how to make the most of our time? To do the excursions or explore on our own? "Must sees" during our time in Rome or the brief port stays in Barcelona, Savona, Malta, Tunisia, Palermo, Palma de Mallarco?
Sponsored Links
Old February 5th, 2005, 10:37 AM
Passenger

Default Re: June 5th Costa Magica

First off, do not get upset by the negative posts here on this board about Costa. It is a few people that are being childish.

As with any cruiseline, there will alway be unhappy people. If you read the national reviews of the Magica, they are all very good. People on this board complain about the fact that people speak Italian on the boat. Isn't that ridiculous. Of course they speak Italian....it is an Italian ship. They do, however, go out of their way to provide english speaking hosts and entertainment.

Cruise food is cruise food. It is not 5 star food but it is also not bad. Expect 'very good' buffet quality food. If you pay the extra $30 to eat that the other place it is well worth it.

I am going on the same cruise that you are in March so please feel free to email me when I get back (3/17) and I will give you my honest take.
Old February 5th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Les Phillips

Default Re: Re: June 5th Costa Magica

Valerie and Mike,
I ditto Drew's comments. We are on the same cruise. I e-mailed you a longer reply to your own e-mail address.
Have a great trip.
Les
Old April 15th, 2005, 03:03 PM
Crazy Canuck

Am also interested in finding out more about the excursions. Can you do any yourself, or should you book from the ship?
Old April 19th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Passenger

hey there, wife and i returned sunday, 17th, went on the mediterrena 7 day cruise for our 20th anniversary. i read negative comments about costa, my motto is believe half of what you see and none of what you hear. we had a great time, every cruise ship has it's downfall. in the case of costa, believe me when i tell you it was all good. staff was excelent, entertainment not from broadway, but they did a good job. as far as excursions go, the wife and i hooked up with 2 couples thru the board and did the tours on our own, you can save a little "lire" that way, it's your call. the prices are reasonable on the ship. as far as people speaking italian, forget it, there will be people speaking all different languages, and that's the fun part. we had germans sitting at our dinner table, lucky for me i spent 3 years in germany and learned the language, not fluent but we learned to comunicate very well. without reservation, i must say that costa is the cleanest ship that i have ever been on, not taking away from other lines, it was beautiful.let me give you some advise, upon getting setteled into your stateroom, request extra matteress, it's a lot more comfortable. by the way the magica will be replacing the atlantica next season here in florida to do the carribean duty. have fun and congratulations. don't forget to make it to St Peter's, might get a peak at the new pope, that would be a wonderful memory for the scrapbook

danny & tammy
Old May 27th, 2005, 08:26 AM
Roger & Martin

Get ready to be disappointed...I just came back from their May 15th sail. Amazing how rude the employees could be. I felt like the european people in general were anti-american. People on the ship acted like disparate herds racing and pushing to get in front of the line (buffet, elevators, excursions, etc).

Don't bother getting off in TUNIS (not safe and very dirty).

Rome (OK)
Palermo (OK)
Malta (WOW)
Barcelona (WOW)
Savona (do the Portofino tour--WOW)
Palma de Mallorca (OK)--do the CAVE TOUR (WOW)

We spent 2 weeks in Europe (Spain, Italy, Switzerland and France). They worst people we had to deal with were the Italians, everyone else was nice if you knew how to deal with them.

INTERNET PEOPLE--you might be able to access some free internet at the ports using your wireless internet from your laptops.

TRAIN PEOPLE--beware of the train strikes in ITALY. they are famous for their strikes and abandoning everyone with tickets to deal with it. Also, a cheaper way to get from CITY/ROME to PORT is cheap by train ($13 each way).

Hope this helps
roger@woodjobs.com