Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Costa
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 7th, 2005, 08:44 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Just Returned Atlantica: Mar 6/05

Hello, all. You will likely be hearing from some of my fellow passengers from this cruise in the coming days. This was our 3rd cruise. Ship was beautiful, easy to get around, staff was very helpful - especially attentive to seniors who needed some extra pampering. The food in the dining room was wonderful - lots of choices, and staff there was very attentive. If people didn't enjoy the food, it would be their own fault. Same for other meals at other locations. We had breakfast in our cabin every morning but the last - opted for the dining room and stoked up on a hearty breakfast for a long day of travelling home. There is music of all sorts going on all over the ship. Lots of people dancing in various locations. Lots of activities at night. Passengers were a mix of Europeans and North Americans. More families with younger kiddies than I would have expected. Seemed to be having a good time - no fussers(!). We thoroughly enjoyed having a verandah - three (adults) of us shared a cabin and had lots of room. We have nothing negative to report. The destinations were Key West - only there for 1/2 a day but thoroughly enjoyed it. We shopped and had lunch at Jimmy Buffets. Cozumel - lovely lovely and we got really good advice from Chandra, the shopping consultant on our ship. We had a day at sea then on to Jamaica. Ocho Rios - ended up sitting in another Margaritaville ( a francise I think) Gift shoppe, restaurant/bar/beach combination. Great spot - clean washrooms, terrific burgers, free shot, bar and restaurant is right on the beach - if you wanted to go onto the beach - either pay $5 or buy a drink and off you go. The pool bar is right in the restaurant as well. We could have stayed there all afternoon.... many did!
Next stop was Grand Cayman. Tendered in - tourists were shoulder to shoulder. Then another day at sea and back to Ft. Lauderdale. The weather was overcast/sunny for most of the week. I got a great tan and even a slight burn. The weather was fine with us. We used the hot tubs - great therapy for shopping-tired feet and for hangovers! The gym is very well fitted - even has tanning beds. Toga night - which is the last night was fabulous fun. The demo and instructions were clear and anyone of any size could and did wear a toga. Most people indulged in sheet coutoure. Our entire table were in white. I suspect that the ones who didn't dress were feeling uncomfortable after the fact. They were the odd ones out. Different strokes. Embarkation and debarkation were fine, from what Costa was involved in. The hold-ups came from US customs and immigration, both coming and going. I want to include a link here that you may or may not be interested in when talking about the cleanliness of ships. It is self explanatory: http://www2.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/VSP_RptGreenSheet.asp. Any ship landing in the US is subject to random inspections. Check out the link and see who scored what - Atlantica scored 100%.
We hooked up with 2 posters from this board. We connected ahead of time by email, and then met up at the airport or on board. Unfortunately, we kept missing Mario but he found us toga night. He was totally accurate with all the advice he has given on this board concering Costa. We had a wonderful wonderful time, and made new friends, too. We would certainly sail Costa again. Everything Costa did, provided, or had control over was beyond criticsm. We got exactly what we expected and more for our money. We are looking forward to next year.
Sponsored Links
Old March 7th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Just Returned Atlantica: Mar 6/05

Hello Cindi:

We`re doing the same cruise on Costa Mediterranea on April 03/05.

There has been so many negative comments about Costa on this board. Glad to hear all your positive comments, it`s re-assuring.

Thanks,
Old March 7th, 2005, 05:08 PM
MATT P

We just got back from the atlantica march 6th......This ship is very clean and ritzy looking......The staff was great.......Cozumel was the best we rented a brand new YJ Jeep for 55.00US and drove around the whole island stopping at 5 or 6 different private beaches....white sand and blue water.....The best beaches are at the other side of the island......
The food is crap on the atlantica anyone who liked the food hasn't cruized with other cruize lines and the 2 other couples we sat with all week at our table agreed.....we are from toronto they were from LOU and FLA....The hot tubs are freezing cold at most they were 60F...it's cold just getting in to them.........at night it's nice to get some TV channels when we hop in to bed however not on this boat there is only 3 TV channels.....the live shows and entertainment are crap.....
I wouldn't recomend this cruize to anyone!!! If you've booked it DON"T GO.....IF YOU DO MAY GOD BE WITH YOU..... spend the extra couple of hundred and go on any other ship avail.....
just the truth....
matt from TORONTO
Old March 7th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Just Returned Atlantica: Mar 6/05

How interesting that there could be such a difference in food tastes and hot tub temps?
We have cruised before, as had our dinner partners and enjoyed the food and the choices. About 10000 meals come out of those kitchens each day .... for passengers and crew - and we believe they did an outstanding job.
However, there are tons of cruise lines out there and there is one for everyone, to be sure. We found the hot tub (most forward) warmer than normal body temp. That's the one closest to our cabin. We didn't need to use the others, so I don;t know about them.
We did enjoy the shows we stayed up for. The people that I met here on Cruismates, and hooked up with on the Atlantica have all cruised before, & enjoyed the experience enough to plunk our hard earned $ down again next year. I expect that those who didn't, will find an themselves a satisfying holiday elsewhere. We did, however, find going through customs and immigration in Ft. Lauderdale daunting - and our plane coming in from Toronto was 2+ hours late, making it a loooong day. Neither of those situations have anything to do with Costa, though. I remember coming from Toronto to catch a ship at Barbados in 2000 - we got off the plane and directly onto a bus to the ship. Never even saw the inside of the airport coming in. We went through immigration on the ship coming home, and it was fast fast. What a difference coming through the US. I can't recall what coming though La Romana was like last year..
Oh well. I am interested in hearing what other comments there are. Matt, how much were the jeeps to rent?? Someone will be sure to ask.
Old March 7th, 2005, 07:56 PM
Admiral

MattP

Complaining about what`s on TV???

Except finding out information regarding the cruise, why would anybody be interested in TV on a cruise? Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Will probably take your comments about hiring a Jeep in Cozumel in consideration. Thanks,

Bill
Old March 7th, 2005, 09:35 PM
MATT P

$55 US +optional insurance we didn't get ........great deal go to the far end of the island.......we had our own private beach with white sand and blue water for miles.....it was great!!!

I'm sure you'll have a good time......and the food wasn't that bad it just wasn't good....you'll be fine........enjoy......
Old March 8th, 2005, 01:03 PM
m sebas

Just got back from our third Costa Cruise March 6, and I could not of been any better. We sailed with a group of 13 and we are rushing to our travel agent to book for next year. We all rated it a 10 out of 10.

Embarkation.
We arived at 12 noon and were on the ship by 12:45, not long at all.

The Ship.
Athough tis is the sister ship to the Med I did like this one better. A little more elegant and simple.

The Staff.
As soon as we boarded we were met by the maitre D, Salvatore that we met on the Costa Victoria and he went out of his way to make us feel welcome. Max the cruise director was awesome always with a smile and always willing to help. Pepe who was the funniest of the entertainment staff always made you laugh.

The Food.
Where to eat ,what to eat and when to eat was the biggest question of the day. Our group always had breakfast at the aft pool under the canape. Lunch was always had at the Buffet and dinner was always had at the dinning room. The dinning room meals were the best. Our meals always started with Parmigiano cheese and Prochutto, followed by shrimp cocktail then by salade , then by pasta and then followed by either the main dish consisting of fish or meat. The biggest problem was that you knew at the biginning of the meal that you could not possibly eat all that was ordered but we gave it our best to eat as much as possible. Dessert was awesome, some of us ordered two and had half of each because we just couldn' pass on any of them.

P.S. There was one family that was constantly complaining about the food. It was either to tuff ,too cooked ,too hot ,too cold , too salty , too bland. I could understand that food is a personal matter but then again, one night the waiter brought out what the family ordered. Five hotdogs elegantly placed on fine china with a side order of fries. If your idea of a fine meal is hotdogs and fries and Kuntucky Fried chicken this is not the cruise for you.

One family from Ohio was very upset because the first language on the ship was not English, so when we arrived in Jamaica they were inquiring about jumping ship and taking a flight home. I could totaly understand how upset they were in not being greeted in English on an Italian ship. I explained to her that the ship's crew was mostly from underdeveloped countries and that all cruise ship staff are not English.

Some were complaing all day that their regular beer was not available on the ship and how could a ship sail without their preffrered beer on deck.

In other words if you complained on this ship it does not take much to upset you. We all had a blast and we all will be sailing again on a Costa cruise.....have fun and be happy..............Ciao
Old March 8th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Admiral

M Sabas

You made my day. We embark on April 03 on Costa Mediterranea.
Old March 8th, 2005, 05:26 PM
m sebas

Dear Bw,
I have sailed on both the Costa Med and the Costa Atlantica. Yes both ships served exellent meals but i must state that the meals on the Atlantica were a touch better. I sailed on the same sailing as Cyndi who also entered a post prior to mine and I met up with her in the dining room on toga night and i could certainly confirm that the meals were top notch. BW there will be little things that might not be to your taste but do not let a liilte baked patatoe that is not cooked well enough for your taste get you down. If you do not like something call your waiter and order something else on that fabulas menu..........Mario
Old March 8th, 2005, 07:37 PM
Admiral

Mario:

Many thanks for your return post.

My wife and I are seniors who like to travel, experience seeing new places and having a good time. We don`t sweat the small stuff. We didn`t pay 5-star and don`t expect 5-star.

However, we enjoy a good meal as much as fine dining and what you described is a lot more than we normally have and expect.

Did most of the people do the Toga Night all dressed for the occasion?

As it happens, we`ll be in Ft Lauderdale quite early on embarkation day. What is the earliest you can board? Can you check your luggage early in the morning, at the port, and embark latter on and not have to be in a waiting line?

My wife read your post and can`t wait to hit the dessert table. If the beer is cold and wet, I`ll be all set.

Bill
Moncton, N. B.
Old March 8th, 2005, 07:45 PM
MATT P

Bill,
they open the doors at 11am.....we got on at 1230 with no line up.......
thx
Old March 9th, 2005, 06:40 AM
bcollins

We were also on this sailing. (my daughter and her friends were the girls in the rather skimpy togas!) I found the food to be good, especially in the main dining room. The ship is immaculate, the service was friendly, and I really have no major complaints--well, other than the fact that they made me leave the ship at the end of the cruise, lol.
The line for customs looked huge after we left the ship. A customs agent came by and said any US citizens move to the left, which put us in a very short line. The huge line was for non-US citizens. We were all surprised by how few Americans were on the ship--we never realized it all week! I definitely plan on sailing Costa again. Now that I've been on the Atlantica and the Mediterranea, I'll have to branch out a little.

Beth
Old March 9th, 2005, 10:17 AM
Snowblind

Hi All,

I would like to wade in here and say we had a great time on the Costa Atlantica. We just returned March 06, 05.

The staff were excellent, a friendly greeting every morning, the food was great and lots of it. We found ourselves always wanting more. The pizza was excellent, it was hard not to eat it every day. We tried every dish, regardless. I had steak 3 nights on board and it never was tough and cooked just the way I liked it. Had the Filet Mignon and it was so tasty I hardly needed to chew, it just melted in my mouth. My DW loves pasta and could not resist eating it at every meal, even though she would be completely stuffed. DW also loves cappuccino and it was readily available throughout the ship.

This was our 25th Wedding Anniversary cruise, and we lived it up to the fullest. Champagne and chocolate covered strawberries on the balconey, dinner for two in the Club Atlantica, swimming with the dolphins, stingrays, and climbing Dunns River Falls.
Other activities I can't describe in detail here, but they did involve the balcony.

I would not hesitate to go Costa again.
Old March 9th, 2005, 03:37 PM
m sebas

To my fellow ship mates Cyndi and Snowblind. What a beautiful time we had from the day we all met on this board. I remember counting down the days till that magical moment when the cruise took off. The only dissapointment was that my wife and I did not meet Snowblind on the cruise. I did try to hook up with you both on the cruise but with only ."Cyndi"and "Snowblind" to go by I did not get very far with the information desk. Cyndi I remember when we were supposed to meet in the back buffet, the problem was that my wife and I were waiting in the back buffet but the outside one in the back pool. We sat waiting there and my wife made a joke out of it , by saying maybe after seeing us they did not want to meet up with us....it was only a joke of coarse. Looking back I do remember seeing a man with a Tilly hat but that was at the Boticelli buffet on the left hand side. Cyndi the important thing is that we did meet even if it was for a few minutes in the min dinning room. I did look for Snowblind at table 52 at the second sitting but nowone answered to "Snowblind". Anyways we are going on the next years Eastern run so with both your full names to go by next year we will meet for sure. I miss that mouth watering food already. It really is hard to get back to reality and have to cook your own meals. I did have a toga on and I did have on something underneath....but who knows next year I will be more brave and do it like the real romans did with nothing underneath......TOGA TOGA TOGA TOGA.........
Old March 9th, 2005, 03:55 PM
MATT P

FOOD IS GARBAGE.......
Old March 9th, 2005, 05:03 PM
m sebas

Matt sorry to hear that Costa was not to your taste . Like I stated before food is a very personal thing. The important thing is now you know Costa is not for you, so you could concentrate on the many other cruise lines out there. Wish you luck on connecting with a cruise line that meets all your expectations. For those of us that had a wonderful time all I could say is TOGA, TOGA, TOGA, TOGA, TOGA!
Old March 9th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Mario! We did have a blast, didn't we! I lucked out and had your full name from your emails, so that's how I was able to contact you through Guest Services. I am going to send you a picture of me, my DH & DS, so there will be no mistake the next time! We could have also exchanged cabin numbers before we went - so we will know better next time! Only 362 days to go till the next cruise! Toga Toga!
Old March 9th, 2005, 07:08 PM
kkc

I cruises the Costa Atlantica on the February 6th cruise to the Western Caribbean. After I booked this cruise, I started reading all the negative comments on this message board and I began to regret my decision to book with Costa. I went onto the ship with a open mind but still expecting some of the comments to be true. Much to my surprise, I found the staff to be very friendly and efficient, the ship to be beautiful and the food for the most part to be very good. The ship had alot of Europeans which I considered a plus for I had lived in Europe in three countries for several years. (The cruise brought back many memories of my days in Italy.) I realize that this cruise is not for everyone but this cruise was everything we had hoped for. I will be booking Costa again, and hopefully, sooner than later!
Old March 9th, 2005, 08:26 PM
MATT P

entertainment is garbage
Old March 10th, 2005, 07:41 AM
kkc

Granted the entertainment could have been better. Couple of the dancers slipped, I didn't think the lead male vocalist had good voice but overall I enjoyed the shows. I didn't pay for Celine Dion or Sarah Brightman...I didn't get it, nor did I expected it. In terms of the cruise, I got exactly, or more, than I paid for and that was a wonderful week at sea on a gorgeous ship with good food at a bargain price. I can't wait to book another cruise with Costa!
Old March 10th, 2005, 11:54 AM
MATT P

IF YOU LIKE YOUR ENTERTAINMENT/KAREOKEE SINGING IN A LANGUAGE YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND.......THIS CRUISE IS FOR YOU.......

IF YOU LIKE YOUR FOOD AVERAGE AT BEST......THIS CRUISE IS FOR YOU

JUST THE TRUTH....MATT FROM TORONTO
Old March 10th, 2005, 12:37 PM
kkc

I enjoy listening to singing in a lauguage I don't understand. I listen all the time to Andrea Bocelli and Sarah Brightman who sing mostly in Italian. While I can read some Italian (from my days living in Italy), I don't understand much any longer when Italian is spoken.

On my cruise on the Costa Atlantica most of the entertainment in the Caruso threater was in English, if not all. I would think that in the karoke bar you might have singing from the passengers in languages other than English.

On most of the Costa cruises in the Caribbean, the majority of the passengers are English speaking while the Mediterranean cruises are European. I expect while traveling or cruising anywhere in Europe to encounter some language barriers but that is part of the excitement and adventure of being in a foreign country. If you want to be surrounded only by English speaking people, then you need to stay in the US and Canada.

Matt P, the truth is that I, my wife and the other couple we cruised with enjoyed the cruise and we are planning on booking another with Costa. I am sorry that you did not have the same experience.
Old March 10th, 2005, 01:31 PM
m sebas

Default Re: Re: Re: Just Returned Atlantica: Mar 6/05

Dear KKc, I to was on the Atlantica and for most of the cruise English was the language of choice for about 98% of all shows on board. Kareoke however is an expression of language in the passenger's choice, so I guess Costa can not be blamed for that. For most cruisers who have been on more than one Cruise Line could tell you that 95% of the staff are from foreign countries where English is not the national language. Carnival is an American compagny that owns Costa , Holland America and Princess Cruise Lines and they to like Norweigan and RCCI staff the ship from the same pool of workers who are mostly from Peru, Bolivia,Romania and the Phillipeans and all the like.

With no malice intended on anyone I quess for people who worry about what the cost of beer is and what is on English speaking television on a cruise probably would be better off taking a land vacation in Canada or in the States. There for sure beer and T.V. are plentiful.

It all boils down to what a traveller is most comfortable with. Most people on cruises want to experience more than the English languagae and more that just beer and T.V.
However they are entittled to their opinion and to their tastes.

P.S. With Costa so heavily advertising " Cruising Italian Style " why would anyone not expect Italian to figure somewhere on the ship?kkc wrote:

> I enjoy listening to singing in a lauguage I don't understand.
> I listen all the time to Andrea Bocelli and Sarah Brightman who
> sing mostly in Italian. While I can read some Italian (from my
> days living in Italy), I don't understand much any longer when
> Italian is spoken.
>
> On my cruise on the Costa Atlantica most of the entertainment
> in the Caruso threater was in English, if not all. I would
> think that in the karoke bar you might have singing from the
> passengers in languages other than English.
>
> On most of the Costa cruises in the Caribbean, the majority of
> the passengers are English speaking while the Mediterranean
> cruises are European. I expect while traveling or cruising
> anywhere in Europe to encounter some language barriers but that
> is part of the excitement and adventure of being in a foreign
> country. If you want to be surrounded only by English speaking
> people, then you need to stay in the US and Canada.
>
> Matt P, the truth is that I, my wife and the other couple we
> cruised with enjoyed the cruise and we are planning on booking
> another with Costa. I am sorry that you did not have the same
> experience.
Old March 10th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Admiral

MattP:

When I read these boards, I like to read both the positives & negatives. However, on the issue of Costa, the positives outnumber negatives, so much, that it makes me wonder if you don`t have some underlying issues that you are not mentioning. For your sake, I hope so.

If not, my friend, enroll in an Anger Management Course and get a life.

Bill
a Maritimer

(for Americans, a Maritimer is one who lives in one of the 3 provinces of New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island)
Old March 10th, 2005, 06:15 PM
Admiral

MattP

Are you describing yourself?

Bill
Old March 10th, 2005, 10:55 PM
MATT P

HEY BILL i HIGHLY RECOMEND THIS CRUISE FOR YOU!!! ENJOY!!!
Old March 11th, 2005, 06:21 AM
Admiral

Hi MattP:

Thanks, I`m sure I will. We`re back home on April 18th. I`ll post when we get back with the negatives (if any) and the positives (if any). I expect there will be a bit of both.

Bill
Old March 13th, 2005, 04:09 PM
Yeoman

Have never sailed on such a gaudy ship! The cabin colors were atrocious-bright green and orange. Enough to give you nightmares!

Carol
Old March 14th, 2005, 05:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

hey matt p are you the family that ordered the hot dogand fries, sounds to me you would camplain if the hung you with a new rope, i don't know if you live in fla, or plan to come to fla anytime soon, maybe you should go to daytona or cocoa beach and get on the sterling casino boat, you go out for 6 hours and they serve ham and cheese sandwiches, sounds like that is the garbage you like, and the entertainment on sterling is exciting, free drinks toooooooo.
Old March 14th, 2005, 05:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

hey B.W. you leaving on the 10, are you going on med or atlan, i will be sailing on the med to east carrib, on the 10 return on 17, let's hope that matt p is not on the same ship
i would have to make him walk the plank

dantam danny tammy