Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Costa
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 21st, 2005, 06:55 PM
frank pags

Default mediterrnea

could anone who has been on the mediterranea tell me how it is,and how the food is--thanks
Sponsored Links
Old March 22nd, 2005, 11:33 PM
Misty

Default Re: mediterrnea

Hi. I just came off the March 13-20 cruise. Could someone do a favor for me please. It's very simple. When you get on the ship and are going to go to dinner in the dinning hall please stop by table 48 on deck 2 (it's in the far back on the left hand side) and give a message to the waiter by the name of Michael. Please tell him to email Misty Trucks at mtrucks@hotmail.com (or call me) he will know who you are talking about. If he doesn't know off hand just tell him the one in the blue toga. I was unable to say good bye to him I also wanted to sed him the picture of all of us.

If you don't have an assigned table yet then I would recommend table 48 were your head waiter is Joseph and his assistant waiter is Micheal. You will have a great time at any meal if they are you waiters.

If someone could do this for me that would be great. I have been looking on the net trying to find away to contact him. Thank you. If you can do this for me then please reply to this message. Thank you again.

The food is great on the ship. The 9th deck is alway open with pizza, fruit, bread and ice cream. Lunch buffet has all kinds of food in it. Every day they have different food for the lunch buffet and the dinner in the dinning room. They also have a midnight buffet.
Old March 31st, 2005, 11:14 PM
cruzzz1000

We read many messages about Costa before we sailed. Many people had desperaging things to say. Especially about the food. And, in particular, about both Meat and Seafood.
In my opinion, and my wife's opinion, the food was Generally good. The Pasta's were terrific. Some better than others as you will discover.
I purposely tried the meat and seafood to see if the comments were valid. The meat seemed OK to me and the seafood was also OK. Some were better than others. I prefer a little tangy flavor to the fish and some fish was more bland but edible.
Again, the Pasta's are authentic and wonderful. The pizza is always available on Deck 9 and it is good.
The Salads were typically unexciting although I didn't try all of them.
My wife enjoyed the Lobster and I went for the fish that night. It was one of the least tasty of the Fish but I ate it anyway (I'm a good boy).
The appetizers were usually good. At one meal we ordered both appetizers just to taste them. That was the meal that I skipped the salad and my wife didn't eat much of her salad either because it was mostly, just lettuce.
Believe me, we didn't starve! I often skipped the desserts (to watch the calories) but I always tasted my wife's. They were usually very good.
Our table seemed to enjoy the soups. I din't order soup because of calories. They had Creamed soups which our table really liked. I probably would have too but didn't eat it. They also had cold soups and I don't care for them anyway so I never tried them.
The breakfasts are uninspiring. You can get omlettes to order but you must look around to find the station that makes them.
The smoked salmon (lox) was Fantastic. Also the coffee was the BEST I've ever had anywhere.
I didn't eat any breads for breakfast. The oatmeal was good.
Lunch was usually pretty good. Again, they have many different stations and each might have something different. So before you grab stuff at lunch, do a survey around all of the lunch lines and see what they have before you choose.
I would probably give an overall grade of 80% for the food (B, L, and Dinner). Other cruise lines might have a superior grade to Costa but your cruise is not JUST food.
I would give the Entertainment an overall grade of 70% because they must appeal to 5 different languages.
The ship is beautiful and very European in style.
I hope you enjoy your cruise. My advice is to try many different foods on the ship and make up your own mind (especially at lunch). I guarantee you that after one week you will have gained some weight.
My best recommendation: Eat the Pasta's during lunch. They were better at lunch than at dinner. I was shocked at this discovery and, in fact, I left most of my pasta at one of the dinners because it wasn't worth the calories to consume. So I waited until the next lunch for GOOD PASTA.
Old April 1st, 2005, 10:20 PM
cruzzz1000

Default Re: Re: mediterrnea

One more thing:
Look for the appetizer with Eggplant.
Even if you don't like Eggplant, the taste or the name, You've GOT TO TRY this appetizer.
It is a 5 STAR dish. *****5*****
It is often served about the 3rd or 4th night (my memory is fuzzy)
You can always leave it if you don't like it.
Another update on food.
I wil break down the meals in this way so as to be more fair and honest about the food.
Breakfast......................................... ....................You will find something to enjoy.
Lunch............................................. ......................Many very good to excellent items.
Dinner............................................ ......................Every Entree is good to excellent. The appetizers are mostly great. The soups are good. The salads, well, try them. The desserts are Superb.
Don't drink too much of the coffee after dinner because it is really Espresso and you will be up until 3:00AM the very first night (like I was).
I hope this helps, now enjoy your cruise!
Old April 2nd, 2005, 08:20 PM
Karalyn

Default Re: mediterrnea - Table 48

I sailed on the MEDITERRANEA from March 13-20th as part of the K9 College Group. It was a great cruise and I loved every moment. Our cabin steward (Jennifer/7230) was absolutely wonderful. She brought me an additional mattress and left a bucket of ice in the bathroom each night so I could soak a problem foot.

We were assigned to Table 48, early seating. The food was excellent --- some items better than others --- but far better than I've had on other cruises. And considering the number of people they are serving, I think they did an exceptional job.

If you get to Table 48, please tell Joseph and Michael that the "dog folks" really miss them. And if Joseph will email me, I have several photos that I can send him via email.

This is the cleanest and best maintained ship I've ever sailed on. And although some of the decor is a bit "over the top" (I like to think of it as "adult Disneyland"), it is incredibly beautiful. The Murano Glass and architectural details and furnishings in some of the public areas are breathtaking. There is wonderful art work on the walls. And take time to look at the sculptures and other items in the various shadow boxes around the ship --- and in the diningroom too.

And don't forget to look at the ceiling over the dance floor in the piano bar lounge. Those cherubs are facing in a different direction and they are hysterical! I laughed until I cried every time I saw them and I still laugh when I see my photos.

The entertainment is fairly good --- I really enjoyed the Mr. Pizza contest (not on my list of things to do --- just happened to be there) --- it was like watching TV back in its beginning days when everything was live and you never knew what would happen.

You'll have a grand time --- and you'll be sad when you leave --- I was.

Regards,

Karalyn
Old April 5th, 2005, 07:06 PM
CPF

Had a wonderful experience on the ship on our cruise 3/13/05. The food was good, not exceptional but better than average. Enjoy your cruise, it proved to be a great trip for us.