Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Costa
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 2nd, 2005, 11:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to nycruiser
Default Costa's Formal nights & Buffet dinners

I just had a question for those who have sailed on Costa in the Med. before. How formal are the formal nights?

My other question is if there would be a buffet dinner in the cafe? I asked Costa reservations but they really seem to be guessing.

I am sure this stuff has been repeated a hundred of times! Thanks again. I will be on the Magica on the May 15th sailing.

Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2005, 04:10 AM
Mikes Wifee

Default Re: Costa's Formal nights & Buffet dinners

Hello, we just returned from the Costa Mederranea (sp) which sailed the Caribbean. Very beautiful ship! The formal nights were not any different from when I traveled on Royal Caribbean or Carnival. Basically, you have people that dress in formal clothing to people that are determined to come as casual as they can! The ship does have the option of buffet dining. On this ship there were 2 buffet lines, one that served their regular Italian food and the other specializing in a different country such as Mexican, Greek, etc. I hop this has helped you!
Old May 5th, 2005, 08:35 AM
Passenger

greek food you say, i must have missed that one. carolyn is correct, you have your choice, variety is the spice of life, and costa, as many other lines offers that to you. i my opinion the food at the buffet was just as good, if not better than the dining foom food, that my friend will be up to you to decide which is better. then again the menus may be different, considering you will be sailing in the Med, more europeans will be on the ship vs americans, either way the food is all good.

hi there mike carolyn, how are things going, how is mike's shoulder, have you tried hanging him yet, (bungee chord) tammy and i are well, she will be posting the photo's on the web, have quite a few, all turned out good, well take care and we will be looking for more info on the costa site

dantam
Old May 5th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Mikes Wifee

Default Re: Re: Costa's Formal nights & Buffet dinners

Yes, one night they did have Greek! They had the stuffed grape leafs (dolmas?) and other the dish they make with eggplant, cheese and sauce and even Greek Salad! You missed it! Oh...Mike has hid all the bungee cords!!! Take care...
Old May 27th, 2005, 08:28 AM
Roger & Martin

Get ready to be disappointed...I just came back from their May 15th sail. Amazing how rude the employees could be. I felt like the european people in general were anti-american. People on the ship acted like disparate herds racing and pushing to get in front of the line (buffet, elevators, excursions, etc).

Don't bother getting off in TUNIS (not safe and very dirty).

Rome (OK)
Palermo (OK)
Malta (WOW)
Barcelona (WOW)
Savona (do the Portofino tour--WOW)
Palma de Mallorca (OK)--do the CAVE TOUR (WOW)

We spent 2 weeks in Europe (Spain, Italy, Switzerland and France). They worst people we had to deal with were the Italians, everyone else was nice if you knew how to deal with them.

INTERNET PEOPLE--you might be able to access some free internet at the ports using your wireless internet from your laptops.

TRAIN PEOPLE--beware of the train strikes in ITALY. they are famous for their strikes and abandoning everyone with tickets to deal with it. Also, a cheaper way to get from CITY/ROME to PORT is cheap by train ($13 each way).

Hope this helps
roger@woodjobs.com
Old June 1st, 2005, 01:00 PM
Greek Quad Family

Hi, I was wondering how your cruise was? I'll be on the Magica on June 11 and I'd be curious to see how you answer your questions. Reading through your cruise list brought a smile to my face - we've travelled on many a same ship!

Thanks for any info you could supply.

Dori

Amerikanis '81; Veracruz, '82; Horizon, '90; Allegra, '92; Norway, '99, Regal Empress, '01 & '02; Nordic Empress, '03, Atlantica, '03 & '04; Maasdam, '02
Old June 1st, 2005, 10:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi. Thank you for everyones input. I posted a mini review under one of the threads. Here is the repeat (sorry I am repeating I should have made a new topic):

PS - Greek Quad Family we have sailed on a few of the same ships! Beleive it or not I still miss ships like the Amerikanis it had a "homey" atmosphere that ships lack today!

just came off the May 15th sailing of the Magica. Soon I will post pics. I agree with the above poster from what I found the Italians were rude. Everyone kept saying how nice they are and all but I did not find that. Maybe it was the people I ran into? I found it funny because I am Italian myself (Italian American) so when the Italians found that out they were happy - at first - then they realized I didn't speak the language then that was a horse of a different color. It seemed to agitate them. Who knows it didn't put a damper on the trip just an observation.

Before the cruise I stayed three great nights in Rome. I loved it there. Rome was a great city. Lots to see and do. Bring your walking shoes!

The cruise was nice not great but nice. Costa caters to an international (primarily Italian) clientele which I knew before the cruise. The food IMO was not great. Simple things like ice tap water was not provided in the dinning room. I know thats a silly gripe but I had to buy water each night. It was ok but I like ice cold water. I know I am being picky here.

Overall the Costa Magica is a nice ship. It is basically a European version of Carnival just with a different name. The hallways, cabins and interior, and ship design are all Carnival's. Not that there is anything wrong with that!

My favorite port was Malta my least favorite was Barcelona (not enough time was spent I will revist one day) and Tunis (it was very interesting and a tad scary to be there).

On a scale of 1-10 I would say my cruise on the Magica was a 6. Best advice have a GOOD time and just embrace the European lifestyle for the week!

Old June 1st, 2005, 10:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

And I forgot to say have a great cruise on June 11th! Just go and enjoy! I much rather be there than stuck at home working!