Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Costa
Register Forgot Password?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old February 23rd, 2007, 03:01 PM
Junior Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 10
Send a message via Yahoo to kristen4083
Default Scared After Reading the Reviews for Costa!

I am scheduled to go on the Magica for the 3/4/07 trip to the Eastern Caribbean but after reading all of the reviews of the ship ( which I shoud have done before... I know) I am worried that this cruise may not be for us. Everyone is saying that the food is horrible, Europeans are pushy and rude.. and there are alot of them, the staff has a hard time understanding English and are extremely rude and unhelpful, and that the entertainment is terrible. well last I checked that is probably most of the reasons you go on a cruise! If anyone has been on this cruise or has heard anything about the cruise can you please give me a little more insight! THANKS
__________________
I live for the nights I can't remember with the friends I will never forget!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old February 23rd, 2007, 07:33 PM
Kuki's Avatar
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Right here :)
Posts: 22,384
Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default

It's been a couple of years since I was on Costa, but I think you're worrying way too much.

Costa night life is amongst the liveliest I've seen. Bars and lounges with excellent groups performing late into the night.

I had friends on Mediterranea last year who raved about the food.

So.... go, enjoy, and form your own opinions!
__________________
C U @ C,
Kuki
CruiseMates' Staff Writer
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old February 24th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 41
Default

I have been on many cruises on the Costa line and they have all been very enjoyable. The food sometimes is average, but I do not cruise for food. The staff has always been very helpful and under one set of circumstances, I give them very high marks for their behavior. The ships are clean, the entertainment excellent and the other passengers friendly. The only bad experience I had was the Europeon cruise and their were several couples from France that were rude and obnoxious (All other passengers gave them a wide berth. Go and enjoy.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old February 24th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Junior Member
Beginner
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2
Default

hello !! we are going on the magica 3/4-3/11 !!!
i can give you MY opinion of COSTA - I LOVE IT!! we went on our first cruise with them in 05 - the atlantica- while the inlaws were on the sister ship mediterania... we did the western carrib. at that time.. inlaws did the eastern .. if was a blast for both couples !! we ( hubby and i ) are in our late 30's early 40's and i'll be honest with you... everything i read PRIOR to going ... i was feeling like i was going to have a terrible time ... but nowhere near it ... the staff was fantiastic, the very full ship was filled with every kind of person immaginable .. but not one problem- not one person was "RUDE" .. and yes there were europeans on the ship.. i think a lot of cruising is "perception" .. but it needs to be YOUR OWN... dont go with the thought of everyone else that had a "bad" experience. It's what you make it !! we have gone on other lines since.. we were given a faboulous gift of a 12 day cruise to alaska..with princess ... now that ... was pretty bad in comparison to costa ... yes there was a nice "perks" ... a laundry room, but the cabins were much smaller ... people ( all americans i assume- i heard no foriegn languages) were grouchy, staff could care less ... ask for something .... you got it 2 days later... i'm not a comlpainer so .. i get walked on alot ... but ... gettin off course here.. WE PAID for this one ... we choose to go with costa .. and we will again ... we actually have a group of 30 or so friends going with us !! if you have any questions .. feel free to ask ..your gonna have a blast - i'm sure of it !! see you there !! ps .. in laws are going ... AGAIN!!
Dawn
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old February 24th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Furkidsmom's Avatar
Junior Member
Beginner
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2
Default

We've always cruised on Celebrity, but last month we took our first cruise on the Costa Mediterranea and LOVED it! I thought the food was very good, the ship was clean and the itinerary was good. The service desk left much to be desired, but I think language was the problem there. We've already booked our next cruise on Costa!
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old February 25th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Junior Member
Beginner
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 2
Send a message via Yahoo to Diana Andra
Default

Well all i can tell you is that, the crew understands very well english, as a matter of fact i have observed that certain crew members speak and write in english better than native speakers...so you need not worry about that. Concerning the shows and entertainment, i've seen a few complaints about those, but only from well aged guests complaining that the music is too loud. Europeans being rude...that's a good one...yes we tend to be rude sometime when encountering rudeness...treat'em nice, you'll be treated the exact same way. The Eastern Caribbeans cruise is amazing, the ports are beautiful, shopping is great, and if you get in touch while on board with the Port&Shopping consultant i'll bet you'll get discounts and stuff like that. The food...well...to that i'd say it's not amazing...i'd advise the Buffet and the Specialty Rastaurant. The normal restaurants are great , not particularly cause of the food, but because of the staff, that does just about everything possible to make you feel wonderful.

I could go on and on about Costa Magica, but i'll stop here. If you'll like more info, feel free to contact me and i'll be more than glad to answer all your questions!

Sincerely,

Diana
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old February 26th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Junior Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 10
Send a message via Yahoo to kristen4083
Default

Thanks everyone for all of your replies it has put me at easy... I guess you have to realize 2 things when reading these reviews one is that some people don't have any respect for cultural differences and the second is that a lot more people post neg things than pos things

thanks again

kristen
__________________
I live for the nights I can't remember with the friends I will never forget!
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old February 27th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Junior Member
Beginner
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9
Default

Buongiorno,
I have been on four Costa Cruises, the last on Magica, New Years Eve.
Great cruise. Italians are all over, but they are courteous and fun. Shows are good, however, remember, the passenger list is multinational, so comedians are rare. Mostly visual comedy. Great food and entaining night clubs. Have a ball, cruising is what you make of it.
Going on Transatlantic in April on Costa Mediterranea.
Ciao,
Alberto
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old March 4th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Kristina99's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,562
Default

I just got off of the Magica today. The ship is gorgeous and in wonderful conditions. The staff is the nicest around, and they have no trouble understanding you! The food is a little above average (the pizza and pasta are the best.) There were about 80% Europeans on my cruise, but most of them kept to themselves (a couple were rude and would cut infront of you in line..but i think because they dont understand). The shows are stunning, and this cruise was soo much fun! Amazing parties!! Hope you have fun!
__________________
Kris

Booked Cruises
NCL Dawn 6/21/06 Bermuda

Past Cruises
10/30/08 X Constellation Caribbean
Costa Fortuna 3/08 Eastern Caribbean
Costa Magica 2/07 Western Caribbean
HAL Noordam 11/06 Eastern Caribbean
X Zenith 6/06 Bermuda
HAL Zuiderdam 5/05 Western Caribbean
HAL Maasdam 6/04 Canada/New England
CCL Triumph 12/03 Western Caribbean
CCL Victory 11/02 Eastern Caribbean

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old March 4th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Junior Member
Beginner
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4
Default

I leave next week (13th) on the Concordia and decided to check out the reviews. i just read some of the worst reviews. Guess i should have looked into it when my sister first suggested it, but i was too busy. Hopefully, it won't be as bad as what i've read!
oh, and in terms of the europeans and cutting in line? they definitely KNOW what they're doing, they just act like they don't. I live in Europe and have found that some Germans are the most notorious line cutters! especially at the airport, but pretty much anywhere they can get away with it.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old March 4th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Kristina99's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudymag
I leave next week (13th) on the Concordia and decided to check out the reviews. i just read some of the worst reviews. Guess i should have looked into it when my sister first suggested it, but i was too busy. Hopefully, it won't be as bad as what i've read!
oh, and in terms of the europeans and cutting in line? they definitely KNOW what they're doing, they just act like they don't. I live in Europe and have found that some Germans are the most notorious line cutters! especially at the airport, but pretty much anywhere they can get away with it.
We actually booked our Costa cruise before reading reviews....and once i read some i was getting kinda nervous. But dont have a bad attitude about going on Costa. It is a really fun cruise line, and dont let the little things get to you. Have fun on your cruise (wish i was going!)
__________________
Kris

Booked Cruises
NCL Dawn 6/21/06 Bermuda

Past Cruises
10/30/08 X Constellation Caribbean
Costa Fortuna 3/08 Eastern Caribbean
Costa Magica 2/07 Western Caribbean
HAL Noordam 11/06 Eastern Caribbean
X Zenith 6/06 Bermuda
HAL Zuiderdam 5/05 Western Caribbean
HAL Maasdam 6/04 Canada/New England
CCL Triumph 12/03 Western Caribbean
CCL Victory 11/02 Eastern Caribbean

Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old March 8th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Junior Member
Beginner
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9
Default

Buongiorno,
I have been on the Magica three times, the last time New Years Eve Cruise. Enjoyed everything about it. Food was really good. Appetizers, Pasta and main entre's were delicious. I don't understand what some people expect. I am Italian American, first generation. Italians are funny, sociable people. Not rude at all, not once in three cruises on the Magica did I fell this.
Entertainment is only good, mainly because of the multi ethnic crowd.
I would say that you will be pleasantly surprised. The ship is immaculate, and the spa facilities are excellent. The crew, what I have seen of it, is just fine. The wait staff and the dining room Matra\e De' are excellent. Get to know the Matre De' he'll take care of you.
Also, have dinner one night in the specialty restaurant, its fabulous.
Ciao,
Alberto
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old May 13th, 2007, 12:02 AM
Nucruzer's Avatar
Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 51
Default

So how was the Cruise on the Magica? I cruised the Magica on the same itinerary, and enjoyed it. There are many Europeans yes, some are rude, but very few were, so you should have had an enjoyable cruise.
__________________


Always keep an open mind.

http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q4/MD11F/
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old June 17th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Junior Member
Beginner
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: spbaby911@aol.com
Posts: 4
Default Costa Magica Cruise

We were on Costa Magica Feb, 2006. We were on 10 cruises previoius to Magica (we are of Italian descent) and we thought the food was horrible, below average.....and was toally surprised at the shows in the evening. Max was the Cruise director when we sailed on the Atlantica and the shows were fantastic. Our opinion of the shows on the Magica was that they were TERRIBLE. We were totally surprised. As far as the ship it was beautiful, and I really don't remember having any problems with the other guests.
If you go on Magica I hope you have a Great time.
We all have our own opinions and as you see in this thread the opinions are mixed. So I guess maybe your better off judging for yourself.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old June 17th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Junior Member
Beginner
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: spbaby911@aol.com
Posts: 4
Default Costa Magica Cruise

Hi again, I forgot to say that just because we didn't have a wonderful time on the Magica it hasn't stopped us from going on another Costa ship.
We're going on the Costa Concordia in January, 2008. We're hoping it will be a lot better then the Magica.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old January 16th, 2008, 08:02 PM
kd kd is offline
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 269
Default

We're planning a 14 nt Costa Allegra cruise out of Hong Kong. Not their best ship, small, old etc. but going for the ports visited. I think it will be okay if we go with a good attitude. On that tour the vast majority will be Chinese. Does that mean it won't be as smoky as if it were filled with Europeans? Has the smoke been a problem on other Costa ships? As far as rude people, I don't think Europe has a corner on that market. We've met an awful lot of loud and rude North Americans on board too. I hate it when people give a horrible review for a cruise or ship, when others on the same ship had a great time. I think its all in your own attitude.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old January 17th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London (but really Los Angeles)
Posts: 1,233
Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith
Default

This is what my wife and myself think of Costa:

Ships: Mostly spanking brand-new ships, they do have a couple of "older" ones that they use in other parts of the world but those too are kept in immaculate condition.
If you are going on a Caribbean cruise, you can expect to be on fantastic cruise ship similar in style and layout to Carnival's Spirit-class ships.

Crew: How bad can it be if the crew gives the ship the ambiance of being in Italy? In my book, that's a BIG plus +++++ As for the language barrier, the negative comments that you hear about crew that don't speak English are just BS from some disgruntled cruisers. In all my 50 cruises including the many with Costa on most of their ships, language has never been an issue for us. My wife speaks 3 languages, I speak 4 but on ships I do not recall ever communicating with the crew in anything other than English. Of course, they don't speak it with an American slang! The only times we have spoken in other languages other than English is when you meet passengers onboard of other nationalities and it's a great feeling to be able to communicate with them using their language....OK, OK, OK, I know I'm bragging. As far as Pursers Desk staff/employees are concerned, give me Costa's anytime over Carnival's or NCL's amatuers.

Food: The Mrs and myself both agree that we think that Costa must offer one of the better grub offerings to be found anywhere on the high seas.
How much better can it get when you are presented with at least 3 different Theme choices even at the many buffet stations catering to anything from Italian, French, Indian, Greek, Chinese and Japanese food. And yes, the almighty Hamburger, Cheese and Fries too, plus ball-game size Hot Dogs. Not to mention the "regular" and traditional food selection of Lobster, steaks, escargots etc.....Believe me, if you like to experiment with food, Costa will be bliss for you. If you don't like to experiment and you are happy eating "American fare" and salads, you'll be kept plenty happy too.


Shows: Let me make sure you hear me by yelling this out LOUD "I THINK THAT COSTA HAS THE BEST DARN SHOWS TO BE FOUND ON ANY CRUISESHIP, PERIOD! IF YOU LIKE THOSE WONDERFUL ITALIAN CARINVAL(E) COSTUMES, YOU KNOW THE KIND THEY WEAR DURING THAT FAMOUS CARNIVAL OF VENICE, YOU WILL BE AMAZED BY THE COLORS AND THE QUALITY OF THE OUTFITS. (sorry for the yelling) If your fancy is for Las Vegas style revues and showgirls with their bare asses showing, you'll get your fill of that too.

Casino: As any other cruiseline, Costa will be just as happy to take your bets and your money. One-armed bandits aplenty as well as table games. I wouldn't bet on having better odds of winning on Costa But if your aim is to lose a bundle each and every night, you'll have plenty of opportunities at that.
Smoking is allowed in the Casino and whatever restrtictions apply to other cruiselines, they apply on Costa too. You can smoke to your hearts delight in your cabin (like on the majority of other cruiselines) but you sure as hell cannot nor will you see anyone smoking in any of the restaurants nor in the main theater. Some bars and lounges allow smoking, but then again that is the norm on other cruiselines as well.

Some final comments: I hate to say this being a US citizen myself but your average European is way more educated and civilized than your average American. Anyone stereotyping Europeans as being rude and pushy needs to take a very long look in the mirror. You'll find most of them are people whose world ends at the end of their hometown Main Street, Anytown, USA.
Annoucements made on the PA system are usually multi-lingual: English, Italian, German, French depending on the passnger load on the ship. Nothing wrong with that. ONE BIG BONUS: YOU WILL NOT BE BEATEN TO DEATH WITH ANNOUNCEMENTS FOR BINGO, THIS SALE, THAT SALE, THIS TOURNAMENT, THAT TOURNAMENT, IN SHORT, YOU WILL NOT HEAR 24/7 ANNOUCEMENTS TRYING TO NICKEL AND DIME YOU FOR THIS AND THAT! I don't have any problem with that!

I will go with Costa anytime, in a heartbeat. Oh by the way, historically we have always booked inside cabins and I kid you not when I say that with Costa we have been upgraded something like 70% of the time. A couple of times from the cheapest inside to one of the best balcony cabins on Tiziano deck! Although as you know, there is absolutely no guarantees on that one.

I will get off this soapbox now and I hope I have convinced you to give Costa a try. You will be very plesantly surprised.

Captain
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old January 18th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd
We're planning a 14 nt Costa Allegra cruise out of Hong Kong. Not their best ship, small, old etc. but going for the ports visited. I think it will be okay if we go with a good attitude. On that tour the vast majority will be Chinese. Does that mean it won't be as smoky as if it were filled with Europeans? Has the smoke been a problem on other Costa ships? As far as rude people, I don't think Europe has a corner on that market. We've met an awful lot of loud and rude North Americans on board too. I hate it when people give a horrible review for a cruise or ship, when others on the same ship had a great time. I think its all in your own attitude.
My suggestion is don't cruise with Costa Allegra in Asia. It will be horrrible, especially a 14nt cruise will be a nightmate.!!!

Try another ship if you can.
__________________


Past Cruises:
Super Star Leo 08/04/00;Star Pisces 08/12/01;
Omar II 2002; Star Pisces 06/08/04; Omar III 09/17/05;
Golden Princess 01/15/06; Star Pisces 07/09/06; SuperStar Aquarius 3D2N 07/06/07;
SuperStar Libra 3D2N 01/16/08; Rhapsody OTS 6D5N 02/08/08;
SuperStar Virgo 4D3N 05/18/08
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old February 12th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Junior Member
Beginner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4
Default

Absolutely, I was attached on a excursion on the Costa Fortuna. We were spit at by the french. The food was horrible. Not thing but leftovers,. The ship smelled like raw sewerage. I canceled my credit card!
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old February 16th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Junior Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 29
Default costa eastern met was a disappointment to me

the number of steps my parents had to do to get to the ship was unbelievable. after 2 hours in the waiting area[mom and dad found seats but i stood since there wasn't enough] our number was called and we walked up a flight of stairs, and then down a longer flight of stairs to a warehouse looking room. then a shuttle bus with very few seats zooms us around the port as us people standing are swaying side to side. then more lines and a 4 deck walk up the stairs into the side of the ship. mom was pale and weak by the end. it was a beautiful day but if there had been rain or lousy weather you would have be in the open about 30 minutes. i'm guessing when theres 2 ships in the port only one ship's passengers get the easy route. upon leaving we were at the terminal and leaving was almost a breeze.
i just got back from a carnival cruise. wow, so much better. on costa the announcer would come on saying everyone needs to leave for the next dinner seating and we just got our main course. the food was a disappointment. cheap cuts of red meat at dinner burned or undercooked tasting about the same as i'd get at goldern corral.carnivals dinner was hands down better. buffets were a tie. both lines had good and lousy buffet items. the carnival inspiration needs to lay out their buffet rooms better so people know where to stand in line-too darn chaotic with kiosks in the middle that don't form lines or if lines are there you have to walk thru people to get to tables.
i'm not into shows but i stayed a few minutes for almost every show on both ships. the only one i liked was a very dirty comic on the inspiration so that shows you my tastes.
activities where participated in more on the carnival cruise. i went to every trivia contest on both ships and while the costa ones would have 2-3 people the carnival one had dozens, maybe 40-50 people. activities like the scheduled basketball game on costa had 2 of us up and the staff didn't come so we left when a bball wasn't tracked down.
the casinos were ok on both ships and costas was better with the extra table games but they need to stop the under 18's from playing the slots imho. carnival had that texas holdem table thats interactive but few people played.they need to get a real dealer.
the midnight affairs were just some meat and snack platters being carried by waiters on the costa. the disco was fairly active on both ships but since i speak only english i was kinda like a fish out of water at the costa disco.
the staff was about the same on both ships in terms of competence but i guess thats not a surprise since carnival owns both lines.
i want to try msc and i'll try costa again out of florida-maybe- but when i go out of europe again it will on carnival,ncl,rccl, etc.. maybe i'd even take the plunge and try the new line carnival is doing in spain.
Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old March 8th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Junior Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 11
Default

We have been on the Magica twice and are going on the Fortuna shortly. We really enjoyed the first two cruises and picked Costa again, because of some of their differences.

Other than the American dishes not being very good at times, the food was okay. At lunch in the restaurant the food was great.

The only inconsiderate people, we encountered were not the Europeans. We are dancers, so we spend a lot of timer on the dance floor, with primarily Europeans, they were curteous and friendly.

The primarily Filipino staff, was very friendly and effective.

They do make lounge entertainment ( mostly music ) the focus of their entertainment, which is different from other cruise lines. That is a plus for people like us and a negative for some people.
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old March 9th, 2008, 10:23 AM
travelgalSue's Avatar
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 870
Default

One month ago today I sailed on the Fortuna and could not have been happier with our choice. The majority of the passengers were European but we found that not to be a problem. The staff was the best we had ever had. They were all very friendly and helpful. The only exception was the service desk where I feel they need to work on that. The food was very good and I personally loved the pasta dishes offered at dinner. I don't know what your intineray is but if you go to La Ramano I do have a suggestion. I went to the Kandalah show and it was a very pretty show with beautiful costumes, the problem was everything was done in Spanish so we had no idea what they were saying. If I had known this I would have saved my money and spent the evening doing something else. It was not worth the cost even though it was pretty. Take time to watch all the dancing done in the various lounges. The Europeans love to dance and they are very good at it. We spent many evenings just watching since we don't dance very well. Enjoy the cruise the Fortuna is a beatiful ship. Give us a report when you get back
__________________

Read and post cruise reviews
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old April 4th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Curlgirl's Avatar
Junior Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 8
Default

Don't worry. You will have a great trip with Costa. It is what you make of it. Costa has great food, entertainment, cabins and staff. I have sailed with them 3x, once on the Atlantica & twice on the Magica.

The best part of sailing with Costa is that everything does have a bit of a European flair, so it's unique compare to Carnival, RC....etc.

Nightlife is pretty lively so if that is your thing you will be partying it up. If not there are more toned down lounges & piano bars with singers and other muscians to entertain.

Go enjoy yourself and if you find you prefer other cruise lines better you can just stick with them in the future.

Bon Voyage!

Curlgirl
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old April 7th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Junior Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 11
Default

We just returned yesterday from a cruise on the Costa Fortuna. It was even better than our two previous cruises on Costa. Food and shows were much better, than our 2 previous cruises. Lounge entertainment was as good as before. Beef entrees, which had been a weakness in the past, were very good. We talked to numerous people and they all thought the food and shows were very good. If possible, our next cruise will be on Costa.
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old May 24th, 2008, 02:54 AM
Nucruzer's Avatar
Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 51
Default

Hello cruisers, sorry to be away for so long.

We are booked on another Costa cruise, an 11 day Canary islands voyage on the Costa Victoria in October, 2008. Looking forward to sailing Costa again.
Had a good time on the Magica last year March. I love the difference in culture and look forward to the experience over in Europe. Will wear a Toga again if they have the bacchanal party on the Victoria.

Have a great day all.
__________________


Always keep an open mind.

http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q4/MD11F/
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old September 27th, 2009, 01:15 PM
armando's Avatar
Junior Member
Beginner
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: italy
Posts: 6
Default

My Costa Fortuna Cruise holiday was great.. but its true that i heard bad reviews for them.
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old January 16th, 2010, 12:43 AM
Junior Member
Beginner
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chingford London
Posts: 2
Default up grades

I was interested to see that you had a 70% rate of up grades - I have opted for an inside for the first time but having read your post was wondering how you aproach the situation of getting an upgrade ?? I am on the Serena Monday can you help ??:o



Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainEdwardJohnSmith View Post
This is what my wife and myself think of Costa:

Ships: Mostly spanking brand-new ships, they do have a couple of "older" ones that they use in other parts of the world but those too are kept in immaculate condition.
If you are going on a Caribbean cruise, you can expect to be on fantastic cruise ship similar in style and layout to Carnival's Spirit-class ships.

Crew: How bad can it be if the crew gives the ship the ambiance of being in Italy? In my book, that's a BIG plus +++++ As for the language barrier, the negative comments that you hear about crew that don't speak English are just BS from some disgruntled cruisers. In all my 50 cruises including the many with Costa on most of their ships, language has never been an issue for us. My wife speaks 3 languages, I speak 4 but on ships I do not recall ever communicating with the crew in anything other than English. Of course, they don't speak it with an American slang! The only times we have spoken in other languages other than English is when you meet passengers onboard of other nationalities and it's a great feeling to be able to communicate with them using their language....OK, OK, OK, I know I'm bragging. As far as Pursers Desk staff/employees are concerned, give me Costa's anytime over Carnival's or NCL's amatuers.

Food: The Mrs and myself both agree that we think that Costa must offer one of the better grub offerings to be found anywhere on the high seas.
How much better can it get when you are presented with at least 3 different Theme choices even at the many buffet stations catering to anything from Italian, French, Indian, Greek, Chinese and Japanese food. And yes, the almighty Hamburger, Cheese and Fries too, plus ball-game size Hot Dogs. Not to mention the "regular" and traditional food selection of Lobster, steaks, escargots etc.....Believe me, if you like to experiment with food, Costa will be bliss for you. If you don't like to experiment and you are happy eating "American fare" and salads, you'll be kept plenty happy too.


Shows: Let me make sure you hear me by yelling this out LOUD "I THINK THAT COSTA HAS THE BEST DARN SHOWS TO BE FOUND ON ANY CRUISESHIP, PERIOD! IF YOU LIKE THOSE WONDERFUL ITALIAN CARINVAL(E) COSTUMES, YOU KNOW THE KIND THEY WEAR DURING THAT FAMOUS CARNIVAL OF VENICE, YOU WILL BE AMAZED BY THE COLORS AND THE QUALITY OF THE OUTFITS. (sorry for the yelling) If your fancy is for Las Vegas style revues and showgirls with their bare asses showing, you'll get your fill of that too.

Casino: As any other cruiseline, Costa will be just as happy to take your bets and your money. One-armed bandits aplenty as well as table games. I wouldn't bet on having better odds of winning on Costa But if your aim is to lose a bundle each and every night, you'll have plenty of opportunities at that.
Smoking is allowed in the Casino and whatever restrtictions apply to other cruiselines, they apply on Costa too. You can smoke to your hearts delight in your cabin (like on the majority of other cruiselines) but you sure as hell cannot nor will you see anyone smoking in any of the restaurants nor in the main theater. Some bars and lounges allow smoking, but then again that is the norm on other cruiselines as well.

Some final comments: I hate to say this being a US citizen myself but your average European is way more educated and civilized than your average American. Anyone stereotyping Europeans as being rude and pushy needs to take a very long look in the mirror. You'll find most of them are people whose world ends at the end of their hometown Main Street, Anytown, USA.
Annoucements made on the PA system are usually multi-lingual: English, Italian, German, French depending on the passnger load on the ship. Nothing wrong with that. ONE BIG BONUS: YOU WILL NOT BE BEATEN TO DEATH WITH ANNOUNCEMENTS FOR BINGO, THIS SALE, THAT SALE, THIS TOURNAMENT, THAT TOURNAMENT, IN SHORT, YOU WILL NOT HEAR 24/7 ANNOUCEMENTS TRYING TO NICKEL AND DIME YOU FOR THIS AND THAT! I don't have any problem with that!

I will go with Costa anytime, in a heartbeat. Oh by the way, historically we have always booked inside cabins and I kid you not when I say that with Costa we have been upgraded something like 70% of the time. A couple of times from the cheapest inside to one of the best balcony cabins on Tiziano deck! Although as you know, there is absolutely no guarantees on that one.

I will get off this soapbox now and I hope I have convinced you to give Costa a try. You will be very plesantly surprised.

Captain
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old February 10th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Paul Motter's Avatar
Administrator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: in my office!
Posts: 10,892
Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default

FWIW...

The guy in the previous post - CaptainEdwardJohnSmith had a bit of a reputation around here for having a limited tolerance of foreigners. I would not take anything he said too seriously.

We eventually invited him to leave when he questioned my own patriotism solely because I did not chastise a European who said he believed some Americans were rude.

I am now deciding that all foreigners often see other foreigners as being rude, but they have no idea what they are saying so they really don't know.
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old February 14th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Junior Member
Beginner
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristen4083 View Post
I am scheduled to go on the Magica for the 3/4/07 trip to the Eastern Caribbean but after reading all of the reviews of the ship ( which I shoud have done before... I know) I am worried that this cruise may not be for us. Everyone is saying that the food is horrible, Europeans are pushy and rude.. and there are alot of them, the staff has a hard time understanding English and are extremely rude and unhelpful, and that the entertainment is terrible. well last I checked that is probably most of the reasons you go on a cruise! If anyone has been on this cruise or has heard anything about the cruise can you please give me a little more insight! THANKS
Yes your right they are pushy and rude at times but so are we. The key to this is this.
We follow so nicely in lines and wait our turn they don't. So use your elbows, don't wait for someone to give way to you because they don't. I you leave space between you and the person in front of you they will fill it.
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old February 15th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Paul Motter's Avatar
Administrator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: in my office!
Posts: 10,892
Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default

It is true - I was just in Italy on a Costa ship, When the Italians board a plane there are no "zones" called. They just get in one big line.

It isn't the most important thing - the seats are pre-assigned and that plane is not leaving until everyone is on board anyway - so what's the difference?

I really don't find them to be especially pushy - just remember that Europe has more big cities than the U.S. - so it is a little like going to New York. Some people think NYers are pushy. I just think they are "crowd-oriented."
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
costa, cruise, cruises, fortuna, horrible, im, lobster, scard, scared, yahoo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reviews: Just Fun Reading, or Very Helpful Luanne Russo Carnival Cruise Lines 8 February 14th, 2008 03:07 PM
Reading reviews Floridanamaw Carnival Cruise Lines 16 February 9th, 2007 12:33 PM
When reading the reviews, remember... UConn1 Ask CruiseMates Staff 8 February 17th, 2006 01:13 AM
Scared to death after reading boards! Kristi First-Time Cruisers 12 April 26th, 2003 01:42 AM
Reading ship reviews, makes me nuts! Salem5050 Chit - Chat for Cruisers 8 September 5th, 2002 04:28 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:01 PM.
design by: Themes by Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1