Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Costa
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 23rd, 2007, 01:27 PM
Passenger

Default Costa Atlantica Egypt/Turkey et al

We wil be boarding the Atlantica Nov 22 of this year, and are very excited. It is our first Costa cruise, and is our 14th cruise overall. We are so looking forward to it! Are there any particular shore excursions you can highly recommend for this itinerary, those of you that have gone? Any special tips? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old August 24th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Familiar Face

i'm going to be on the nov 12th-22nd cruise and it'll be my first costa and also mediterranean cruise. the pyramids i'll do and maybe the volcano hike in santorini. i'm staying 1 night in genoa after the cruise and want to see the aquarium since its the largest in europe.
Old August 24th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Passenger

You will be on it the week before us! Hoping you have a great time. We are planning on doing the pyramids and probably volcano as well. There is so much to choose from! We will be staying in Genoa one more night as well, which hotel are you staying? I have heard wonderful things about this cruise.
Old August 25th, 2007, 07:37 AM
Familiar Face

the jolly hotel plaza is the hotel i'll be at. i wonder if costa will have a turkey main dish available on the 22nd for thanksgiving. i've read in a few places there is usually only about 10-15% us/canadian on these cruises.
Old August 30th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Passenger

Yes, I am expecting the majority of the cruisers to be Italian, German and French. It will be a great experience, except for the smoking, which we knew about. Did you hear that we don't need a visa for Turkey or Egypt as long as we book an excursion with the cruise line? I know for Italy, Cyprus and Greece we are okay with our passports.
Old September 5th, 2007, 07:12 AM
Familiar Face

i'm going to book the riverboat tour in turkey just so i can get off the boat. so "oh, let me think. i've been to turkey too." i can tell people casually and not mention it was only for 8 hours. lol.
Old September 17th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Passenger

We are going on the Costa cruise Nov 18 out of Italy. It is our first cruise with this line. I am excited because the week before we will be on Royal Carribean on a Med cruise. I found out I can only prebook cruises 6 days ahead with Costa. Did you find this to be true also? Thanksgiving on the ship should be interesting. I am very excited about these cruises.
Old October 31st, 2007, 07:40 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to Drewt Send a message via Yahoo to Drewt
Default Thanksgiving

With so few North Americans on board, don't expect much display over Thanksgiving. Us Canadians already celebrated Thanksgiving in October and with only the American Thanksgiving left, I don't think they will do much. But you never know. At least you'll have something huge to be thankful for...you're on a cruise. Have fun and let us know how it went when you get back all....
Grand Princess March 2009

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
Old October 31st, 2007, 12:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
I found out I can only prebook cruises 6 days ahead with Costa. Did you find this to be true also?
I've NEVER heard of such a thing. We've sailed Costa before, and booked it way ahead, just like any other cruise line.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old November 6th, 2007, 06:05 AM
Passenger

Hi Just done this cruise. Egypt is a must. Napels was not so intresting but I think the journey to Mount Etna, Pompei and Olympia can't be missed.
Take the excursion with the Nile Cruise in. The food on board the Nile boat was excellent.
Just walk on Santorini. You really don't need to take the excursion there. It's beautifull where you come on land. Also we took the bus into Mamaris that was good as we just wanted to shop and see the small castle.
Have fun.
Old November 6th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Passenger

Thanks so much for your reply about the cruise! We are getting closer and closer! We did book the Nile River lunch cruise with the excursion to Giza, etc., so it is good to hear it was all great!
Old November 6th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Familiar Face

what was the weather like? i'm going on the nov 12th cruise and still haven't decided how heavy the clothes i bring should be.
Old November 6th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Passenger

Hi, We had hgood weather temerature between 23 and 30 C. Only after we left scicily, underway to Egypt we had a little rain and it got very windy.
The other less good day we had was the last day at sea coming from Katakolon to Savona. It was windy and rainy only clearing up at lunch time so we at least could sit out of the wind and eat on deck. Actually the weather in the med starts to change end of october. You get more winds coming in although I don't think it get's really cold. I should pack a rain jacket and some light sweaters though for this time of the year.
It actuaalt rained when we were driving down to Cairo haha. The gids said it hardly ever rained in Cairo and they have no drain system so the lower part of the road was flooded. We had to laugh, just our luck. But by the time we got to the pyramides it had cleared up and it was about 28 degrees. We had good luck with the trip to Olympia as the day before it had rained really hard all day but we had a sunny ifwat a little cooler visit.
I know you all will love the trip. To stand by the last remaining wonder of the ancient world and to walk where only true Olympic athleets have walked is undiscribable.
Penny
Old November 6th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Passenger

By the way, The most cruisers are indeed Italian French and German. Then Americans. I know we had a very big choice on the menu for dinner so maybe they will think about Turkey at thanksgiving. But it is an Italian ship so I wouldn't really count on it.
At the end of the cruise the Italians drove me nuts. They stand with a whole lotta people in the middle of a corrider yapping and just do not move when you want to get past. I know here in Europe a lot of people say the Americans are loud but the Italians can be very loud.
Still we didn't let it bother us. Just politely pushed our way through Grandma, Grandad, Mum, Dad, Aunty, Uncle and tig kids lol.
Old November 7th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Familiar Face

thanks for the tips. i thought the temps would be cooler but now i'm going to take a fast dry shirt and pants from my camping gear and a lighter rain jacket.
Old December 4th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Passenger

We are back from this cruise and can highly recommend it! The itinerary was fabulous, the ship was nice, and the staff were very good. The dining room waiter and back waiter were the best we have ever had, and this was our 13th cruise. It was also our first Costa. We enjoyed it immensely, food was pretty good, better in regular dining room than in the Atlantica club--but service was great all around. Being two of the only Americans on the ship was just fine--eveyrone was nice and helpful. Excursions were the best organized we have ever seen. A great value and a great time. We would recommend this cruise to couples, singles, older cruisers and families.
Old December 5th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Familiar Face

i was on the nov 12th sailing with my parents who are in thier mid 70's. it seems 2 costa ships share the port and the amount of walking stairs they had to do was unacceptable. just when you thought you were almost in the ship there were more stairs, more stand up bus rides, more walking thru parking lots, and finally 3 flights of stairs to get on the ship. luckily leaving the ship gave us the route the other ship must had on embarkment and it was a easier time. the dinner room food was passible but your favorite local chain buffet restaurant probably has about the same quality-some ok, some dry,cold or tough. same goes with the all the time buffets. the pizza was disgusting but mom loved many of the fresh bread items. if eating is your #1 don't do these euro ships with a euro itinerary. the ship was cleaner then i expected and i was pleased to see crew looking for stuff to wipe down like banisters and the hanging pictures.the balcony cabin was roomy. the tv had only 2 english all news stations and i had been told by costa there was a english sports tv station i'd be able to get a euro soccer or american football game on the weekends. the drink dispensers only had[hot cold] water, coffee, and also milk in some of them[teabags always available]. i hate when cruise lines close the orange,pineapple,apple, fruitpunch dispenser at 10am and yet their reps swear juice is available 24/7. the ports available on the cruise were great and the main reason we took it. during the nightly shows we walked out. the blowing bubbles guy was ok but the quick change artist, the acrobat, and the singer were college or free daytime show at the regional amusement park stuff. we were grouped at dinner with other english speakers and it was possible to bump into others if you kept your ears and eys open. for the cost of the cruise and airfare i wouldn't recommend this as once in a lifetime travel for those in n.a. but more for the seasoned cruiser who wants a new spin.
Old December 8th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Passenger

Yes,, I agree with your comments about the entertainment. I had read several reviews about it, so kind of knew what to expect. Corny comes to mind, but the audiences loved it!! The quick change artist one night took a good 2 minutes to change, not so quick. That was amusing. We would pop into the shows for 5 mins then leave always sitting in the back. One night the show was pretty good--but overall entertainment is not a reason to book this ship. We liked the pizza okay--Carnival still has the best pizza and caesar salad available 24/7.