Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Costa
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 17th, 2007, 05:23 AM
Beginner

Default Transfer between Rome Ciampino airport and Civitavecchia

Just back from a week on Costa Victoria and thought I would share our experiences of transfers. We used a low cost airline to fly from London to Rome Ciampino airport, then hired a self drive car to drive ourselves to Civitavecchia - one way car hire about £30. Car pick up at the airport is easy, the car park is about 300m from the terminal. Navigation is easy, follow the signs initially towards Rome Fiumicino airport and then to Civitavecchia - it is about an hour's drive. We drove right into the port to the cruise terminal, checked in and left all our bags ready to be loaded, then drove back out of the port to the car hire depot. We used Sixt, their depot is about 1/2 a mile from the port gates. The only issue we had is that we were there during their lunch time (13:00 - 15:30!) and they don't have a keys drop-off box! Eventually we negotiated to leave the keys with the car service garage next door. A 10 minute walk back to the port gates and then used the port shuttle coach service back to the cruise terminal (that is about 1.5 miles within the port area!). If it did it again I would just drop bags and passengers at the port gates, leave them to wait while I returned the car, walk back, and use the port shuttle bus to the cruise terminal. And beware of car return drop-off times!.

On the return journey we used the train to Rome Termini and then the coach tot he airport. The train station is 400m from the port gates - just walk straight ahead along the prom - but why doesn't the port transfer shuttle go to the station? We were lucky, found an "entrepreneurial" man with a luggage cart offering to push all the bags for EUR 1. The fast trains go about twice an hour, but make sure you get a ticket for a fast train - we hadn't and so had to pay the supplement on board. It is still only EUR 12 per person. From Rome Termini there are two competing coach services to Ciampino airport from right outside (alongside platform 1) - EUR 6 and EUR 8 respectively.

Hope this is helpful.
Sponsored Links
Old December 22nd, 2007, 11:38 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith

Great info Mike
thanks for posting and btw, welcome to cruisemates.

Captain
Old January 5th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Beginner

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info.

As we will be going on a cruise which finishes at Civitavecchia (Royal Caribbean) we are looking to get accurate info on how we can do a cost effective trip to the Rome Ciampino airport.

Your suggestion seems good and we have done the train into Rome on a couple of occasions and know it can take around an hour for that journey (however what is the fast train, how long does that take?). But as we will need to get to the airport for around 8:30am I need to know how long the journey is between Rome Termini and Rome Ciampino airport on the coach that you've mentioned?

Also if possible what your total journey time was from the ship to the airport if possible.

Cheers, I know it was a long time ago but it would be of great help.
Old January 5th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Admiral

Are you saying you need to be at the airport at 8:30 a.m. the day you get off the ship? If so, that is a huge problem.

http://www.terravision.eu/rome_ciampino.html
offers a coach between Termini and Ciampino airport.

The fast train takes about an hour from the port to Termini and on the day we took it Dec.1 it was running 45 minutes late. so you need to give yourself plenty of time. To get from Termini to Ciampino I would say 30-40 minutes in normal traffic. There is a train that goes from Termini to downtown Ciampino but I am not sure of the schedule and you would need to take a cab from the train station to the airport.

Ciampino airport is small and make sure if you want to grab a bite there or something to drink that you have some euros left as they do not accept credit cards in the snack bar and there is only one ATM in the entire airport and it happened to be out of order when we were there :evil:

God luck and have a good time.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old January 21st, 2014, 03:22 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
Just back from a week on Costa Victoria and thought I would share our experiences of transfers. We used a low cost airline to fly from London to Rome Ciampino airport, then hired a self drive car to drive ourselves to Civitavecchia - one way car hire about £30. Car pick up at the airport is easy, the car park is about 300m from the terminal. Navigation is easy, follow the signs initially towards Rome Fiumicino airport and then to Civitavecchia - it is about an hour's drive. We drove right into the port to the cruise terminal, checked in and left all our bags ready to be loaded, then drove back out of the port to the car hire depot. We used Sixt, their depot is about 1/2 a mile from the port gates. The only issue we had is that we were there during their lunch time (13:00 - 15:30!) and they don't have a keys drop-off box! Eventually we negotiated to leave the keys with the car service garage next door. A 10 minute walk back to the port gates and then used the port shuttle coach service back to the cruise terminal (that is about 1.5 miles within the port area!). If it did it again I would just drop bags and passengers at the port gates, leave them to wait while I returned the car, walk back, and use the port shuttle bus to the cruise terminal. And beware of car return drop-off times!.

On the return journey we used the train to Rome Termini and then the coach tot he airport. The train station is 400m from the port gates - just walk straight ahead along the prom - but why doesn't the port transfer shuttle go to the station? We were lucky, found an "entrepreneurial" man with a luggage cart offering to push all the bags for EUR 1. The fast trains go about twice an hour, but make sure you get a ticket for a fast train - we hadn't and so had to pay the supplement on board. It is still only EUR 12 per person. From Rome Termini there are two competing coach services to Ciampino airport from right outside (alongside platform 1) - EUR 6 and EUR 8 respectively.

Hope this is helpful.
Hi, This is 2014 and of course things change, but independently of your advice I had logged in to SIXT and ordered a car, and the rates seemed reasonable. Until we had a $65 surcharge for a one-way rental. I was totally gobsmacked because I have booked a hotel that really isn't totally convenient to the airport (taxi 20 EU) or to the train station into Rome.
Very sad, but I am going to keep looking and hope to find a more amenable car company. Europcar is worse, I already know!