Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Costa
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 2nd, 2008, 08:41 AM
Passenger

Default Just returned from Costa Fortuna !

I want you to know about Costa. First off we were on the Fortuna the staff was wonderful, the ship beautiful. The entertinment poor, food ok, not much of a variety. Now for the bad part they do not cater to Americans. The cliental on this ship is very rude and pushy. I'm talking about the italians, they seem to think they owned the ship, they run you over, push and shove you, and never say excuse me. At day five I had had enough and we started pushing back and I went a step further and had to get one man told off. So unless you like latin music, you are pretty much just screwed. The entertainment was the same everyday. As far as the ports they could have left a few off, such as La Romona, San Juan. They did not give you enouh time at the ports they did go to. The best ports were St. Thomas and Nassau. In San Juan do not take the Bacardi Tour a total waste of money. In St. Tomas the Sub marine excursion was wonderful. And we did enjoy the Off Road Jeep excursion in La Romona, but it was very scary in some areas. Do not get off the ship in La Romona unless you have a excursion planned not safe at all to go out there on your own. Very high crime rate, and they sell drugs on every corner, and the aids rate is very high, very poor country. All in all we had a good time. But would we recommend this cruise line to any body, no way. This was our first cruise and maybe our last. It left us feeling that cruising is not the way to go. Good luck if you have already booked with Costa.
Sponsored Links
Old April 2nd, 2008, 06:52 PM
Captain

So sorry you had a bad experience on the Fortuna. We sailed that same itinerary in Feb. You are correct about the ports but since I had been to all before I had pre-planned our time there. As for the clientile on the ship, yes it is not American. On our cruise it was only about 25% non europeans but we found them to be fine. A few were pushy but most were very nice even though they didn't speak English. You are so right about the staff. This ship had the best we had ever had and we've been on over 15 cruises. We were with a group so that may have helped us have a better time. I myself would gladly go with Costa again and I am planning on doing this in the future possilby to Europe next time. We enjoyed the shows in the theater every evening and loved watching all the dancing that the Europeans did in the various lounges. We are in our early 50's and found this cruise to have an older clientle but it was ok with us. Please don't let this one cruise keep you from sailing again. Try another cruise line and find a better itinerary to meet your likes.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old April 4th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kristina99 Send a message via MSN to Kristina99

I am also sorry for your experience on Costa. I was just on this ship in the middle of March and it was wonderful! I agree with you on the staff...they were wonderful!! Were hoping that some will transfer to the Mediterannea next winter since that will be the only ship in the Caribbean.
We found that the food was delicious, especially the pasta and fish. We just must have different taste buds.
One of the main reasons i love Costa is the entertainment. Its different than any other cruise line ive been on. For example, the nightly themes and games (Mr Pizza, toga night, ect...). There is always a high percentage of Europeans on the Caribbean sailings since it is an Italian cruise line. Their goal is to attract Europeans (their prices are so low so that they can afford airfare to the US).
It seems to me that you went on your cruise with a bad attitude, almost expecting people to be rude and pushy, so of course you found them. I hope you have a more optomistic attitude if you go on another cruise. Or just go to an all-inclusive resort?

Booked Cruises
NCL Dawn 6/21/06 Bermuda

Past Cruises
10/30/08 X Constellation Caribbean
Costa Fortuna 3/08 Eastern Caribbean
Costa Magica 2/07 Western Caribbean
HAL Noordam 11/06 Eastern Caribbean
X Zenith 6/06 Bermuda
HAL Zuiderdam 5/05 Western Caribbean
HAL Maasdam 6/04 Canada/New England
CCL Triumph 12/03 Western Caribbean
CCL Victory 11/02 Eastern Caribbean

Old May 24th, 2008, 03:15 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristina99
I am also sorry for your experience on Costa. I was just on this ship in the middle of March and it was wonderful! I agree with you on the staff...they were wonderful!! Were hoping that some will transfer to the Mediterannea next winter since that will be the only ship in the Caribbean.
We found that the food was delicious, especially the pasta and fish. We just must have different taste buds.
One of the main reasons i love Costa is the entertainment. Its different than any other cruise line ive been on. For example, the nightly themes and games (Mr Pizza, toga night, ect...). There is always a high percentage of Europeans on the Caribbean sailings since it is an Italian cruise line. Their goal is to attract Europeans (their prices are so low so that they can afford airfare to the US).
It seems to me that you went on your cruise with a bad attitude, almost expecting people to be rude and pushy, so of course you found them. I hope you have a more optomistic attitude if you go on another cruise. Or just go to an all-inclusive resort?
Kris, we both seem to see eye to eye on Costa. I love the line because it's different. I was on the Magica on March 18 - 25th, 2007, Eastern Caribbean, and there were many Europeans, Russians, Danes and others as well as a large number of Florida residents, and other Americans from other states.
I also loved their food, very delicious, and entertainment. Each night there was a different theme, Caribbean night, Italian Night, etc. The best was the Bacchanal Party on the last night of the cruise. We wore our Togas and had fun in the Theater.
Btw, Costa has made some changes, the Mediterranea will be in South America beginning this winter season, 2008/2009 with the Magica. The Fortuna will be the only ship in Ft Lauderdale this Caribbean season.

Always keep an open mind.

http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q4/MD11F/