Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Costa
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 10th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Beginner

Default Customer Service on Costa Cruises

This was my 3rd cruise (I go on a cruise with Holistic Group every year)on Costa cruise liner. Before I was on Costa Magica and this year on Costa Fortuna. I was assigned cabin #7285 - an inside cabin without a window. When we got to i found out that the cabin smell like a smoking lounge. Somebody was smoking during the previous cruise. When we started to complain to steward and house keeping services, they came only with a spray bottle and a brush. They did try to sanitize it. They tried twice. We did not unpack. After all those effort it was impossible top stay in the room longer then 10 minutes.My roommate was allergic to cigarette smoke and was getting reactions. We did complain in customer service and they said that there is something wrong with my nose. Supposedly 3 members of housekeeping crew went to the room and didn't smell anything. We were told by Costa customer service that there is something wrong with our sense of smell. We brought members of our Holistic group who are vegetarians and are very sensitive to any smell. They confirmed our sensitivity to smell of cigarettes, basically the room smelled like an old ash trey and they wanted us to sleep there until they will find another room. We had to wait in lounge are without unpacking until the ship will disembark and all passengers will be on board so then they will know if there are any vacant rooms to switch. It lasted way over the disambarkment time, until 10PM when they found a solution to move us to different rooms.
Don't you think that Costa should inform passengers about smell like that and not try to make me feel like a fool because of my oversensitivity to cigarette smoke. Do you think that Costa should closely monitor who is smoking and where?

We were vastly upset with their treatment of passengers. How can you tell someone that there is something wrong with their sense of smell?
People who are on vegeterian diet and are not using heavy perfumes are much more sensitive to smells of the environment. And it was used against us???? Sensitive people are not welcome on Costa cruises?

Sponsored Links
Old April 18th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Admiral

I am sorry that you had a less than enjoyable experience on Costa. I had similar issues with their customer service issues during our Med. Cruise on the Concordia. It seems some of the crew enjoys offering challenges to their guests and are unwilling to provide the level of customer service afforded by many of their competitors.

There are effective ways of dealing with lingering cigarette smoke in the staterooms. Had they responded with an ionizer, which would actually clean the air in the room and removed the offending smell rather than sending someone with a scrub brush, you might have been a happy cruiser. Instead it appears, they chose to make things difficult and inconvenient.

My advice would be to contact the people who organize your holistic tours and share your experience. Ask them to try to stick with more mainstream cruise lines, since the "Italian cruisee experience" is not conducive to a holistic experience.

This situation could arise on any ship. But it should have been handled differently.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old May 30th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

We are big non-smokers and have noticed that Costa ships to seem to attract more than there share of smokers.(mostly Europeans).
Over the years we have sailed many of the (older)ships in the fleet but feel customer service has never been top notch with Costa. We still like some of the ships themselves but feel Costa food and service is not up to previous standards so we dont sail them anymore. We feel Costa staffing levels are just short in many areas of the ship, especially food service areas.