Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Costa
Register Forgot Password?

View Poll Results: Which one do you recommend for Americans in the Caribbean?
Costa 3 25.00%
MSC Cruises 1 8.33%
Neither 4 33.33%
They are both good 4 33.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 15th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Costa or MSC - which is better for Americans?

Both of these cruise lines are basically European cruise lines that offer Caribbean cruises to Americans but also still cater to their European audience by making all announcements in 5 languages and having many different cultures onboard at the same time.

If you have taken both - please vote for which one you think does a better job in the Caribbean for Americans.

If you have only done one - please post your impressions of what you thought of your cruise below:

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Old December 15th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Admiral

We have been only on MSC and enjoyed it both times. Obviously we would not have gone on the second if the first had not been good. Yes the announcements are in 5 languages but there are few during the day. And I have to say that all of the crew were great.

While it is just my husband and myself I did notice that the children's program had improved from the first cruise to the second.

On our first with MSC we did meet American's that did not like the food, but I figure it was because it was not "Olive Garden" Italian. I have heard the food on Costa is more like olive Garden but can't say for sure. Every night the food is based on a different region of Italy. The one thing that can be a problem is the steaks but not all the time.

We cruised both times on the Lirica and I would like to try one of the newer ships sometime. Both of the cruises we took were 10 night and we felt that we more than got our money's worth.

Depending on who would ask about cruising with MSC I would either tell them yes or no for them. You really have to be open about trying the different foods. Plus the buffet closes early each night (at least on the Lirica it did) so if you don't eat by 8pm you will be out of luck unless you order room service until 11:30 when they have a snack time, each night it is completely different.

Caribbean Trip Reports
Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014, MSC Divina Oct 2014
Old December 15th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Passenger

We have been on Costa 3 times and MSC once, all 7 nights in the Caribbean. The expectation was Italian food with a European flavour and that is we received. Having been on Princess, Carnival, Holland America and the above two lines, our preference is either Costa or MSC for food as first in quality, taste and service. Announcements in 5 languages were ok, as well as Europeans and different cultures onboard. Wouldn't it be great to speak 5 or more languages like many of the crew.

As to who "does a better job in the Caribbean for Americans"?? If one is willing to try either line, I'm sure the food will be enjoyed especially if one ventures beyond comfort food. The thing with cruising is that one can try something different than you normally have at home.
Old December 16th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Familiar Face

Smile

All below Caribbean cruises
Sailed Costa didn't really care for it,actually lost weight.
After reading reviews on MSC which weren't to good went on Lirca. Was surprised this was before,gold chain,art auction era. No pushing of cocktails no PA announments, Yes am American,but lots of American complained about food,NO problem here. Lot of pax's complained about other pax's not speaking English hello lots of pax's from Europe. Next season booked Opera twice followed by another cruise on Lirca. Enjoyed the mix of pax's from all over the world. Have 45 cruises under the keel.
Old December 18th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I guess the most important aspects are the language barriers and the food. If you are traveling with someone else, then you probably don't care much what other people are saying.

At the same time, I doubt I would travel as a single on one of these lines. I met a lady single who had just come back from one of them and she said she did not have a good time. Mostly because there were so fewer people wo spoke English onboard.
Old August 2nd, 2010, 04:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

Paul,

Many people ask this all the time. You experienced the best of MSC, with your suite experience. I think Costa offeres an upgraded product as well.
Old October 23rd, 2010, 06:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Paul,

So I take it that Costa is the European Carnival & MSC is comparable to RCCL? The pices of the MSC ships do remind me of RCCL, also the Costa ships are decorated by the Carnival guy.
Old September 30th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to sergej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
I guess the most important aspects are the language barriers and the food. If you are traveling with someone else, then you probably don't care much what other people are saying.

At the same time, I doubt I would travel as a single on one of these lines. I met a lady single who had just come back from one of them and she said she did not have a good time. Mostly because there were so fewer people wo spoke English onboard.
Yes, Paul it can be a problem .

Italian, Spain or Franch passangers oft don't speak englisch at all.

Germans do , nearly everybody in Germany speak perfect englisch,
even children,
but e.g. it there is 2000 Italian passanagers one have not a big choice
Old September 30th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Admiral

I've only been on MSC OPERA when she was here. It was 10 nighter seeing many places (southern Caribbean down to Grenada). There was a few things that were not necessarily negative, just what we Americans were not used to. Had to ask for water, dinky coffee cups and juice glasses, announcements in 5 languages etc.
We went over Easter that year, huge mistake on timing. As an American, locked in on only 1 language, felt alone in the crowd. Each country seemed to cling together.

There was positive things too.That ship was elegant, not wild in any way, the stage entertainment was the most perfect I'd ever seen (and have not seen since). The food was good. Changed main dishes a couple of times, but they were flavors I just couldn't grasp. But that can happen on any ship.
The OPERA is gone now, replaced by POESIA. I'd like to retry MSC.
Old September 30th, 2011, 10:41 AM
First Mate

I was on the MSC Poesia in the Caribbean last February, with my DH, son, DIL, and 2 grandkids aged 7 and 5. We ALL had a good time although my husband thought the evening shows were a little heavy on opera. All of the shows were more of a "review" than is standard on other lines; a singer, acrobatic act, musical group, and troupe performance, all in each show. I thought they were fantastic. The announcements in five languages take a little getting used to, but they are pretty quick about them. We thought the food was excellent, each night in the MDR featuring an "American" page and a regional Italian page, and you could mix and match between them. Since it's a European line, the children's activities never started before 11 a.m. but they could stay in the program thru supper and long into the evening, making children in the MDR very unusual; but ours wanted to dress up and do the MDR. Our servers went all out for us, I think because they were impressed with the grandkids.