Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Costa
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 5th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Beginner

Default Costa Atlantica 2/20

Just returned from my first Costa Cruise and I can honestly say, I was happy to disembark and would never return to this ship. I knew going in that it was an older ship without all the bells and whistles of some of the others but I expected so much better. One of the initial things I remember from my first cruise on Celebrity was the amazing meals, if your looking for that, you won't find it on this ship unless you used to sub-par food. There were few meals worth remembering and the free-for-all buffet with many pushy europeans were too much to bear. We opted for the civilized dining for breakfast, fought it out for lunch (finding a table was stressful) and tolerated the dinners. The other place on the ship of importance to me is the Spa. I found it, dated, and nothing special. I heard from other shipmates that the staff spends the time during your services to upsell you which is not relaxing for the person paying over $100 for the priviledge. The icing on the cake was that both of us got sick a few days prior to the end of the cruise and are now 1 week without relief of getting rid of the cruise crud virus that obviously was onboard with us. There were no concerns or procedures in place to monitor us or track how many got sick and minimize further contamination. The ship had A/C problems on Formal night, boy that was fun and water issues. Overall, not worth the money if you have higher standards, otherwise, ignorance is bliss.
Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Admiral

I am sorry you didn't have a better cruise. I totally understand where you are coming from.

I am curious what your itinerary was and what you did in the ports you visited.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old May 27th, 2010, 11:40 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by karinaNJ View Post
Just returned from my first Costa Cruise and I can honestly say, I was happy to disembark and would never return to this ship. I knew going in that it was an older ship without all the bells and whistles of some of the others but I expected so much better. One of the initial things I remember from my first cruise on Celebrity was the amazing meals, if your looking for that, you won't find it on this ship unless you used to sub-par food. There were few meals worth remembering and the free-for-all buffet with many pushy europeans were too much to bear. We opted for the civilized dining for breakfast, fought it out for lunch (finding a table was stressful) and tolerated the dinners. The other place on the ship of importance to me is the Spa. I found it, dated, and nothing special. I heard from other shipmates that the staff spends the time during your services to upsell you which is not relaxing for the person paying over $100 for the priviledge. The icing on the cake was that both of us got sick a few days prior to the end of the cruise and are now 1 week without relief of getting rid of the cruise crud virus that obviously was onboard with us. There were no concerns or procedures in place to monitor us or track how many got sick and minimize further contamination. The ship had A/C problems on Formal night, boy that was fun and water issues. Overall, not worth the money if you have higher standards, otherwise, ignorance is bliss.

I am very thankful to you. In fact your creative writing abilities has inspired me to start my own BlogEngine blog now. Really the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly.
Keep up the good work.

Old September 11th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Passenger

I am sorry that you did not have a good cruise on the Atlantica. We sailed on her in April and loved it! We thought that she was GORGEOUS and loved our time on her. The only complaint that I had at all was that the seafood (which I LOVE) was always served with all of the little parts still attached which grossed me out quite a bit. However, I understood that it was a cultural thing (It is an Italian cruiseline!) so I simply stopped ordering the seafood and PROBLEM SOLVED. I felt that the other meals were quite nice especially the one we had in the speciality restaurant - the Club Atlantica Tuscan Steakhouse.

We did not make use of the spa during our cruise - so I have no opinion about that.