CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Costa (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/costa/)
-   -   Cruising the same day as arrival (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/costa/377819-cruising-same-day-arrival.html)

fzgmate November 1st, 2010 06:04 AM

Cruising the same day as arrival

Estimated to arrive with AA from Costa Rica at 10:50 with sailing time at 17:00. I suddenly feel paranoic and wonder if I am leaving matters to much chance. Not having experience flying with AA and hoping that they are a reliable airline.

In retrospect it probably would have been better to arrive the evening before and stay the night in Miami and make our way to the port in a more leisurely way than an early wake up in Costa Rica.

I am being hysterical or should I change our flight arrangements?

Hot Nail November 4th, 2010 07:05 AM

No worries. I have arrived the day of my cruise for all my cruises except one and I have never even been close to missing the ship. Your flight is an early arrival which is even better for you. Enjoy your trip.

rollerdonna November 4th, 2010 07:15 AM

fzgmate, I suppose it depends on where you're flying from.
For instance, being from the Great White North (Canada) ourselves, we ALWAYS fly in a day early, just in case of snowstorms, or in our case at Halifax airport, fog. I have been delayed for hours, even in the SUMMER, just because of fog.
Of course, there's always the possibility of other airline delays for whatever reason, not always weather, so if it would put your mind at ease, maybe booking a day early would be a good idea.

The other advantage to this is, you have a chance to relax once you get there, enjoy the warmer weather, get a good night's rest in the hotel, and be rested and ready to board the ship the next day.
If you're boarding the same day you travel, you are up WAY early, exhausted from the travel, and ready to go to bed right after dinner and miss your first evening on board!

Have a great cruise!

donna

Manuel November 5th, 2010 08:40 PM

It would make me nervous to fly in the same day as the cruise.

TM

TruckerD November 14th, 2010 01:59 PM

I have flown on AA many times and they are fine. I assume you are flying into San Jose. I think you are cutting it WAY to close. Assuming you arrive on time, you will have to clear customs and immig. Plus, San Jose is in the middle of the country. You will have a haul to get to the coast. (Which ever side you are leaving from. I stayed in Puntarainis (sp?) on the Pacific side, and it took us a couple hrs to get there. (Winding skinny road with lots of traffic). I think your best bet would be to arrive a day early and spend the night in San Jose.

kim p December 11th, 2010 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fzgmate (Post 1326427)
Estimated to arrive with AA from Costa Rica at 10:50 with sailing time at 17:00. I suddenly feel paranoic and wonder if I am leaving matters to much chance. Not having experience flying with AA and hoping that they are a reliable airline.

In retrospect it probably would have been better to arrive the evening before and stay the night in Miami and make our way to the port in a more leisurely way than an early wake up in Costa Rica.

I am being hysterical or should I change our flight arrangements?

We have always arrived the day before and stayed at the Holiday Inn Bayside. It is right across the street from the Bayside Market an a few minutes to the port.

Paul Motter March 16th, 2011 01:21 PM

In cases like this - its a good idea to ook your air and transfers through the cruise line - in most cases they will promise to get you to the ship no matter what happens.

But it has to booked through the cruise line itself (and it usually has a name, such as the "choice air program")

A travel agent can book it for you - but make sure they are clearly booking the cruise line's air program.