Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Costa
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 16th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Familiar Face

Default Holy Cow! Venice<->Greece $299!

I never realized that international travel could be so inexpensive! Costa has a 70% off right now to Greece from Venice for 4 days, and (if I had all the time in the world to just get up and go) airfare is (only) 649. Wow...I thought international travel was in the 10s of thousands...cripes, it costs nearly $300 to get to Florida from NH!
I gotta get me a passport!

http://www.costacruise.com/usa/cruis...T04110413.html
Sponsored Links
Old March 16th, 2011, 11:31 PM
Administrator
Admiral

If you have the time it's a great way to see Europe. Costa is a little different, especially in Europe, but it will deliver the standard cruise product and you may like the "European/Italian" atmosphere on the ship.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 20th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default You get what you pay for with Costa

I cruise three years ago on Costa from Fort Lauderdale to Western Carribean for 7 days also for $299 per person. When the cruise was over I felt cheated because I did not get my moneys worth. The worst food ever. Under cooked pasta at every meal. You get what you pay for that's why it's cheap. Also look at the members reviews at Cruise Reviews, Cruise Deals and Cruises - Cruise Critic and you will see all there ships are rated 1 or 2 stars out of 5. Never again for us.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 05:44 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Keep in mind that for Europeans, Costa is the Carnival of cruise lines (literally). That is a typical price for a 4-day Carnival cruise. This Costa cruise is meant to appeal to local Europeans, not Americans who want to see Europe. It's a fine line, but realize you will not really see venice or Athens unless you book a hotel before and after the cruise.

The port stops appeal to locals - not to Americans, there is nothing of cultural significance in Corfu or Bari, Italy. Dubrovnik is the only worthwhile port on the trip.

This cruise is designed for Germans & French who want to sit by the pool and get a tan.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 07:51 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks! I appreciate the caveat!
Old September 19th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to sergej

>>venice or Athens unless you book a hotel before and after the cruise.
Venice is of course a "must" for any US citizen

Athen is not - a really boring and ugly town

As for Italy I think any Italian town is very interesting
I was in Bari last week with costa - I like it , I get lot of imprtressions
from there.

I think you are right , Paul , generell one
need for Europe much more than 4 days .
4 day trip is a joke.

Dubrownik in nice but for old town one need max 10 minutes to see everyhting there -
it have only one "main street".
What you would really see in Dubrowwnik is one million toursit on every 1 M**2

My tip for Dubrovnik: take small Kayak trip ( 3-4 hours) - it is really great
Old September 19th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruised1014 View Post
I cruise three years ago on Costa from Fort Lauderdale to Western Carribean for 7 days also for $299 per person. When the cruise was over I felt cheated because I did not get my moneys worth. The worst food ever. Under cooked pasta at every meal. You get what you pay for that's why it's cheap. Also look at the members reviews at Cruise Reviews, Cruise Deals and Cruises - Cruise Critic and you will see all there ships are rated 1 or 2 stars out of 5. Never again for us.
You were not cheated just because you didn't care for the food nor how it was prepared. It's European! There is still many food options. I was surprised by food flavors on MSC, most pastas were blah. But then again, my friend is Italian, don't care for her style of cooking either.
Old November 8th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Familiar Face

I know this post is a few months old but I just found this site and had to reply. I was able to book a 7 day Western European cruise for my mother and mother-law for $341 pp, visiting Rome, Marseille, Barcelona, etc. and think it is an absolute steal. With airfare, it's still costing me just a bit over $1000 pp. My husband and I recently got back from a 12 night Greek Isle cruise that cost us several thousand dollars over that amount....granted we were not in an interior stateroom and we traveled in September, vice January. However, for us, we see this gift as an opportunity for our moms, who live several states apart and are great friends, to have wonderful girls week together in Europe and see things many people only see on The History Channel. The fact that they'll be touring during a slow season works well if they decide to utilize the HOHO busses in Rome...it would be miserable for them in the height of summer. So, for me, I see these fares as an incredible opportunity.
Old November 9th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to Iamchip

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzski View Post
I know this post is a few months old but I just found this site and had to reply.
wow. I'm so glad you did too. I probably wouldn't have found it otherwise. I've always wanted to go on a Greicien cruise. In fact that's always been my plan for my marriage proposal. Hearing about this price and everything like that makes me feel as if it's not just a dream but that I could actually make it happen!
Old November 9th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Familiar Face

Greece is aMAZING! Good luck with your plans (and congrats on your impending marriage proposal!)