Old January 15th, 2012, 09:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Was that lawyer Jim Walker?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 15th, 2012, 09:50 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Hi I'm new to this board, but I was ON the Costa Concordia in 2007. Same itinerary from Rome. Muster drill was done on 1st night of the cruise. So sad for this to happen. I can picture the ship vividly.
For future cruises I would take all thngs out of safe ie wallet passport jewelry if any emergency or muster drill.
Diane Simoncini 10 cruises-Princess Grand, Ruby, Island, Cunard, Royal Carib, Carneval, Costa Mediterranea And Costa Concordia
Old January 15th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Paul,

Your on my TV tonight. Good Job explaining about the ship, and what happened.

Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old January 15th, 2012, 10:19 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by richstacy View Post
There is not the slightest indication that lack of muster drills had anything at all to do with this 'accident." According to the news tonight it may well have been due solely to the human error of the captain in sailing too close to shore -- and then to the gross ineptitude of the crew in communications and in knowing what to do.

Correct it had nothing to do with the accident but it may have helped with preventing some of the injuries and maybe a death or two. The passengers panicked and if there had been multiple musters maybe there would not have been as much panic.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old January 15th, 2012, 10:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 16th, 2012, 02:03 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Turns out a couple I know back home (in Calgary) were on this ship. They had got into a lifeboat, but due to the list it didn't release all the way to the water, and the lifeboat began to take on water.

They lept from the lifeboat and swam to shore.

They are presently in Rome, and due to fly home Monday. Hopefully in the next day or two I'll get a chance to talk to them and get their detailed account of the incident, and their experience.

They have said it was total chaos... which to some degree is understandable.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old January 16th, 2012, 06:51 AM
Admiral

Well, at least we now know what caused the grounding of the Concordia. Costa announced sometime last night EST that the Captain deviated from his already programmed computerized route without authorization. No reason has yet to be provided as to why he did so.
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Old January 16th, 2012, 07:00 AM
Familiar Face

NBC reporting another body pulled from ship raising the death toll to 6.
Old January 16th, 2012, 07:10 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH View Post
Well, at least we now know what caused the grounding of the Concordia. Costa announced sometime last night EST that the Captain deviated from his already programmed computerized route without authorization. No reason has yet to be provided as to why he did so.
Believe this or not, it is alleged he wanted to get closer to shore so he could wave to a former retired colleague who lives in the area.

Annie
Old January 16th, 2012, 07:13 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I just heard that a local couple from the Minneapolis area (White Bear Lake) are the two missing Americans.

My heart goes out to their family and to all those who were impacted by this tragedy.

One thing I do want to point out. No matter what reports have said about the chaos and the crew a large number of crew had to do the right thing. Otherwise the lifeboats would not have been launched and 4000 people would not have been evacuated in just over two hours.

There were probably many mistakes but there were probably just as many things that went right and there were probably many heroes among the crew and the passengers.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 16th, 2012, 07:19 AM
Admiral

Mike.. I think it's a near miracle that so many got off, confusion over muster drills, ship at a crazy angle, multi languages....
Old January 16th, 2012, 07:27 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
Mike.. I think it's a near miracle that so many got off, confusion over muster drills, ship at a crazy angle, multi languages....
Yes it is but as I said it would have been much worse if a lot of people hadn't done the right thing. I think the biggest tragedy, based only on what I've heard and read, is that there was no real direction from the top and no one truly took charge.

Sad.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 16th, 2012, 08:02 AM
Admiral

Default Sky News 1300 gmt

Sky news...Captain made an unauthorised & unauthorised deviation from ship's programmed course....
PS...Now saying they went past the island in order to wave to friends & family on the island.....
News conference on Sky news...answering questions...I say answering...how they can talk so much without saying anything.

Last edited by johnthed0g; January 16th, 2012 at 08:25 AM. Reason: additions
Old January 16th, 2012, 09:35 AM
Captain

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
Yes it is but as I said it would have been much worse if a lot of people hadn't done the right thing. I think the biggest tragedy, based only on what I've heard and read, is that there was no real direction from the top and no one truly took charge.

Sad.

Take care,
Mike
It is hard to get direction from the top when the man in charge is sitting in a lifeboat!So actually if there was a lacking of communacation from the top the crew that stepped up and did their job and helped get 4000 people off the ship not only did their job but performed well under presure! My hat off to those people!
Old January 16th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by richstacy View Post
There is not the slightest indication that lack of muster drills had anything at all to do with this 'accident." According to the news tonight it may well have been due solely to the human error of the captain in sailing too close to shore -- and then to the gross ineptitude of the crew in communications and in knowing what to do.
I disagree with you. If there had been the muster drill at the very least people would have had some idea of where they were actually to go.

I agree the Master was a complete idiot but blaming the rest of the crew is also out of line. Were you there? Poor buggers had no one with any authority on the ship to tell them what to do - the master had deserted by that time. They were left to their own devises. People who have had it drummed into their head that they are not allowed to make a decision week after week after week all of a sudden had to make decisions. Think about it..........................

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old January 16th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Admiral

You know - there are two issues here - cause and effect. Cause is what the master did and it appears even Carnival Corp is admitting the master did many things wrong.

Effect to because of what the master did and the resulting chaos and deaths.

It's important to remember that and stop blaming the crew who WERE FOLLOWING ORDERS. Crew/hotel staff on each and every cruise ship are given the same basic information. This is your job during an emergency and you wait for orders. Waiting for orders is what they do day in and day out for the regular duties. They are not told you may or will have to make decisions in an emergency - they are told you go here - you do this and wait until told differently.

Why is everyone suddenly expecting them to make decisions they've been told they can't while waiting for decisions from a coward and the rest of the officers who have already deserted.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old January 16th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix_the_cat View Post
Yes it is and so far they've done a good job of keeping that out of the press. Even CNN has not mentioned that.
From the CNN website:

Porto Santo Stefano, Italy (CNN) -- . . . Carnival Corporation, the parent company of Costa Cruises, said in a statement Saturday . . .
Old January 16th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan View Post
From the CNN website:

Porto Santo Stefano, Italy (CNN) -- . . . Carnival Corporation, the parent company of Costa Cruises, said in a statement Saturday . . .

Yes i understand that but the first 24 hours they were able to keep their name out of it. Now it's all over and the stock of Carnival Corp has dropped 20% this morning. I am also aware that the U.S. market is not open and that drop is on the European market.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old January 16th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post

The line says they were doing the same thing they have done every week for a year. That is easy to verify. In any case - they never should have been that close to any land mass, and furthermore they have underwater radar to warn them of hidden reefs (a Canadien ship hit an underwater reef in the Northern Passage last year)

To me, this appears to be some bad tomfoolery, an autopilot error, or a mysterious shift in underwater topology that went unnoticed until too late.
CNN is reporting this ship had a tradition of deviating from its programmed course to approach Giglio and blow its horn, whereupon passengers would wave.

Make of that what you will.
Old January 16th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Familiar Face

Default Cruise workers down hill?

I've noticed my last few cruises the crew was less friendly, food eck, ship not as clean. Thinking of all inclusive?
Old January 16th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan View Post
CNN is reporting this ship had a tradition of deviating from its programmed course to approach Giglio and blow its horn, whereupon passengers would wave.

Make of that what you will.
This is an excerpt of an AP story...

"Costa captains have occasionally steered the ship near port and sounded the siren in a special salute, Arienti said. Such a nautical “fly-by” was staged last August, prompting the town’s mayor to send a note of thanks to the commander for the treat it provided tourists who flock to the island, local news portal GiglioNews.it reported."

Read and post cruise reviews
Old January 16th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Lets wave at the locals

As I said in my previous posts on this subject,the ship should not have been anywhere near that island,all the cruise lines with modern ships enter the route into the computer,the idiot of a captain altered the course ,the thoughts are he wanted to show the ship off to the islanders,this may not be as strange as it sounds I was on a merchant ship leaving Malta and the captain had friends who had a house on the cliff tops so he took the ship on the inside course and sprang two plates we had the pumps going all the way back to Liverpool,he got a letter of censure,the not so good news is that Costa has got a even bigger ship coming into service next year,I suppose it makes economic sense but you cannot get 4000 passengers into lifeboats in a short time so 6000 is totally mad.
I have always when on a cruise thought that they should alter course when the wind and waves are in the wrong direction and so make the passage a little easier but I was wrong these giant ships have to stick to the course set they have got to big for mistakes not to cost lives.
Old January 16th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Admiral

Right or wrong they have a muster drill at the main port, anyone joining afterwards had a video that is playing in the cabin...which it is as I recall. I suppose it would be best not to have more than one embarkation port.
They are criticising staff making announcements saying "everything is under control do not panic"...what are they supposed to say "we are sinking you are gonna drown, every man for himself!!"
Old January 16th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Yes, I was on Geraldo last night - but my time was cut shorty by John Huntsman making his breaking news announcement.

Also that other guy (who took up all my time) was not supposed to be there. I didn't mention I would be on because I have never done Geraldo and I didn't know how it would go.

As it was, I did not like the way it turned out - having me on just to say "the captain was an idiot" is harding worth my while. Had I known I would not have done it. It was especially frustrating because I spent many hours preparing for that show - just to say a few snetences.

Anyway --

I have just written an article on the question stiull remainiong in this incident - for example - no one has even shown us where the rocks where hit - was it by the islands or much later?

Where were the other officers during the evac - yes the captain took off- but was every single officer equally absent - or were they on site to manage the evac?

read the article here:

Concordia – Still More Question than Answers We are not much closer to knowing exactly what happened with the Concordia now than we were on Friday. We do know there is a huge

Old January 16th, 2012, 01:38 PM
Admiral

Has anyone here ever been in a life or death situation ? I have and I know first hand that you are not thinking rationally . You do whatever you deem necessary for survival .
Old January 16th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Admiral

So,booking til Feb. 25 on Concordia-full refund and 30% future discount.

Crap.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old January 16th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
Has anyone here ever been in a life or death situation ? I have and I know first hand that you are not thinking rationally . You do whatever you deem necessary for survival .
I have - building fire ; instinct and all those public info films - hit the ground where the air was purest.

However there were a few who lost the plot and they weren't women.

Annie
Old January 16th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Yet another article on what we know as of today....

Latest CruiseMates Blog Post
Concordia - What We Finally Know We now know the ship DID hit the rocks during the sail-by between the two islands. This did NOT seem likely earlier since no one reported ... Go>

Old January 16th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Admiral

Default Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniegb View Post
I have - building fire ; instinct and all those public info films - hit the ground where the air was purest.

However there were a few who lost the plot and they weren't women.

Annie
I too was in a building that was on fire ,people ran down the stairs and pushed those in front out of their way . Everyone panicked .
Old January 16th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Looks like they where showboating it has been done before, there is 16 Min's or three pings missing from the track. it would show just how close the track went to the land and how late they left the turn. Now from the first position when the tracker picks up again did she have any power or did she turn and drift due to wind and current?
They open the black box tomorrow so we may start to hear the truth of this disaster. I saw a figure of $30 million excess on the insurance policy and share prices went down 18% have not had time to see if they have recovered as the market finds the facts.