Old January 13th, 2012, 07:52 PM
Admiral

Default Costa Concordia runs aground off Italy

Breaking news

Costa Concordia apparently runs aground off Italy - 4000 passengers take to lifeboats. No injuries.

Will post more as I hear

Annie
Old January 13th, 2012, 09:06 PM
Admiral

What is up with these cruise ships the past few days?
Old January 13th, 2012, 09:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Looks like there will be two Captains looking for new jobs..

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 13th, 2012, 10:17 PM
Admiral

Just completed - Celebrity Reflection, Nov. 22 (learning to sail solo) followed by Independence of the Seas Nov. 30.

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
Windstar
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old January 13th, 2012, 10:37 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Costa Concordia Sinking - Passengers Missing - 3-6 Reported Dead

How quickly the news changes overnight. The ship that last appeared to be salvagable his now mostly underwater and a lost cause. Furthermore, it is reported that some 50 - 70 are reported to be missing. We are not sure why they would not have an exact count of who is missing already, but I am sure we will have a clearer picture soon. The Costa Concordia, a large cruise ship based in Italy but belonging to Costa Cruises, a cruise line in the Carnival Corp. Family, apparently struck ground near a tiny island named Giglio off the coast of Italy. The ship had just loaded a new contingent of passengers in Savona, near the city of Genoa on the West coast of Italy.

Passengers reported that the ship jolted suddenly while they were eating dinner. The captain came on the public address system to tell the passengers and crew that the ship had experienced an electrical fault, however witnesses quoted in European newspapers said it was obvious that the ship had hit something. They said they felt a sudden jolt quickly followed by a large banging sound.

Right now there are reports that three to six people have died although their names and whether or not they were passengers or crew has not been specified. There are reports of sightings of people dying after jumping into the water in a panic however that has not been confirmed, but it is being reported by CNN that 50 - 70 peopler are missing.

The lack of specificity is somewhat staggering to us here at CruiseMates considering it is late in the day in Europe already, the ship is close to shore, and there has been plenty of time to do an accounting of every passenger.

Costa Concordia is identical in superstructure to the Carnival Splendor, the ship that lost power off the coast of Mexico two years ago. However that is just a coincidence and the two incidents are not related.

All of the Costa Concordia passengers were evacuated after the captain sounded the abandoned ship signal of six short and one long blasts of the ship's horn. To evacuate the ship the passengers went through the muster drill just as it had been rehearsed a few hours previously just after embarkation, assuming this cruise took the regular protocol for boarding passengers.

Although the ship was listing at 20º soon after it struck ground company representatives said the vessel is in no danger of sinking. However, in the morning the ship was fully on its side in the water and it appears it will be fully submerged (if it is not already) soon. It has been reported that the ship struck a shallow underwater shoal off the Punta Gabbianara cape close to the island. Although ships have radar and charts to warn them of such obstacles, charts can be outdated or inaccurate and large ships cannot perform last minute evasive maneuvers. Without a doubt, a complete investigation into the incident will commence shortly.

The passengers were taken to the island of Giglio, which means "Lily" in English. The ship was on a cruise in the Mediterranean leaving from Savona, near Genoa, with planned ports of call in Civitavecchia, Palermo, Cagliari, Palma, Barcelona and Marseille, Costa cruise lines reported.

Last edited by Paul Motter; January 14th, 2012 at 11:22 AM. Reason: updated news
Old January 13th, 2012, 10:42 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I had written the message below last night:

It seemed pretty unlikely to me that anyone would jump overboard in a panic - and even if they did - the ship was close to the island according to the picture that shows itr listing at 20-degrees while basically tied up to a landing.

There are also reports of a Giglio mayor saying "he fears more may be dead as it is proving very difficult to get the last remaining passengers off the ship."

Umm... if this picture is real (from a newspaper) then why would anyone be panicking?

But this morning we have a different picture - see the picture below and the following news article:

Last edited by Paul Motter; January 14th, 2012 at 11:28 AM. Reason: New Update
Old January 17th, 2012, 01:05 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Italian Captains??? Seems to be the answer which nobody is saying. I have cruised with MSC/Costa in where the Captains behaviour was questionable more than once, I will never set foot on a ship Captained by an Italian. Sorry that is not racial profilling, just want to be safe. Stay way from these cruise lines and stick with the North American Lines.
Old January 17th, 2012, 04:33 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by lss96 View Post
Italian Captains??? Seems to be the answer which nobody is saying. I have cruised with MSC/Costa in where the Captains behaviour was questionable more than once, I will never set foot on a ship Captained by an Italian. Sorry that is not racial profilling, just want to be safe. Stay way from these cruise lines and stick with the North American Lines.
Costa is owned by Carnival and Carnival ships also have Italian Captains.
On my last cruise on Carnival we ran into bad weather and the Italian Captain did a great job in keeping everyone safe.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011+4/4/2016
Independence 12/29/13
Vision OTS 2-14-2015
Freedom OTS 3/6/16
Old January 17th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Admiral

I've read that posting from the porported crew member in several different places. I don't doubt for a minute that she is reporting what she saw or the timelines she thinks it happened. However I also think she is misinformed on some things. The main one being when the Master left the ship. The Italian coast guard is reporting they told him 3 times to go back to the ship as there were still people aboard. He refused every time. Makes him a coward in my eyes.

I pity the staff that were trying to help. They had no direction, no help from their senior staff. BTW my question to the facebook poster, she obviously carried a managerial position. Where was she during all this? Wasn't her job to be helping passengers?

I agree - I believe the hotel/housekeeping/kitchen staff did the best they could under very trying circumstances and they are not the ones to blame in this.

I would point out - remember the buffet lines where some people push and shove their way in - something that is complained about constantly on certain cruises? They are the same people who were pushing and shoving their way onto the lifeboats.

Even without the lifeboat drills, there is not excuse for the pushing and shoving and trampling that some passengers did. I also read a report where 2 men pushed their wives out of the way so they could get off first. Tells a lot doesn't it.............................

Just completed - Celebrity Reflection, Nov. 22 (learning to sail solo) followed by Independence of the Seas Nov. 30.

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
Windstar
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old January 17th, 2012, 09:21 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I agree with you before I book a cruise I ask or google the ships Captain.
Old January 17th, 2012, 09:43 PM
Admiral

What info do you think you will find, that will change your mind about booking a specific ship? Is there a site that lists, their history, awards, or any derogatory filings against them?

Old January 17th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Banned
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lss96 View Post
Italian Captains??? I have cruised with MSC/Costa in where the Captains behaviour was questionable more than once, I will never set foot on a ship Captained by an Italian. .
Its the Greek captains that do it for me. Their Behaviour is always highly questionable.

However it is the overall SOLAS and procedures for ship evacuation that should be now concentrated upon.

An earlier poster mentioned that the crew are trained to evucate ship whilst it is upright, and not listing as was the Costa Ship.

Thank God for the crew who stayed on the ship and worked to help others.

Shame on the Captain for getting off the ship way too early , and leaving Junior officers in charge to get the crew and pax off the ship, as reported on Sky news a short time ago.
the transcript of exchange between the captain and italian coast guard was shocking.
Well done to the italian coast guard on their brilliant response to the situation.

I do hope that Justice will prevail.

Last edited by Lynn Knickers; January 17th, 2012 at 11:11 AM. Reason: loss libra pando woman spell check
Old January 18th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Knickers View Post
Its the Greek captains that do it for me. Their Behaviour is always highly questionable...
Absolutely agree

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog
Old January 18th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to sergej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman View Post
Absolutely agree

I don't care what nationality is a captain at all.

there must be Rools for any capitan.

and it must be imposible to any capitan to go his own route
on such cruise schip .

Captain can be from Alfa-Zentavra and a Full 100% Idiot .
That is not a main problem for me !

The main Problem if it is possible to do on ship all what Captain wants.
There must be strong rools for any captain!
Old January 14th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Admiral

Default Cruiseship tragedy unfolding off Italian Coast

If you're just waking up this morning prepare yourself for a developing tragedy concerning the 112,000 ton Costa Concordia that is only five years old.

It evidently hit a reef off the coast of Tuscany that tore a 150 foot gash in it's side and it is currently on it's side with half of it under water. There are Americans listed as passengers. Thus far there are over one hundred dead but no one knows if they're passengers or crew or mixed. It appears everyone has been evacuated and they're now trying to search the ship for more survivors and or bodies.

Stunningly the crew evidently panicked as well when they realized the ship was in real trouble and started to list dangerously not to mention that even though the cruise began on 8 January there still hadn't been a lifeboat drill! The passengers had to yell at the crew to get them to start lowering the lifboats but by that time it was often too late and many of the boats were either already under water on the submerged side and not many were able to be lowered on the opposite side because of the severe list.

Sad sad news

Now they're saying that there are only three known dead and sixty something missing.
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean

Last edited by ToddDH; January 14th, 2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old January 14th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Admiral

Oh my, how awful.Will be checking out further news today...
My heart goes out to those passengers, crew and families...

donna
Old January 14th, 2012, 10:30 AM
Admiral

On the Today show the report from Italy this morning there are only 3 confirmed dead but there are at least 14 passengers missing so there are divers checking the staterooms. Also on the report it was stated that the ship was way off course when it went aground. There is a very large gash so of course the water came in.

From the photos I have seen the one saving thing is that it is water that is not real deep so it should not be sinking much more that it already has.
2005-2 Princess, 2006-Princess MSC, 2007-NCL,2008-Carnival & RCI, 2009- MSC & Carnival, 2010- 2 Carnival,2011-Carnival, 2012-Carnival & MSC, 2013-MSC & Carnival, 2014- 2 MSC, 2015-2 Carnival & MSC, 2016-NCL & Carnival,2017- MSC, 2018-2 NCL & MSC & RCI, 2019 RCI & Carnival
Old January 14th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Captain

I can't imagine what these folks are going through right now. My niece called me last night as one of her girlfriends was onboard celebrating her honeymoon. The girl had her laptop and cell phone with her and has been able to communicate with family. As of this morning they are in Rome along with the other Americans who were onboard waiting for flights to bring them back to the US. I'm sure I will get more information once she gets back and has a chance to talk with my niece.
Praying that those missing are found and for the families of those lost.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old January 14th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Admiral

Here's a link to the AP story. News from The Associated Press

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten
Old January 15th, 2012, 12:30 AM
Admiral

What I don't understand that with hole of that size why the ship even started to sink? Also why did it roll away from the hole not towards the hole that would be normal? We aren't getting the whole story as to what happened on board that night.
Maybe the " Cruise Data Recorder " will say what the true story is?

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old January 15th, 2012, 12:43 AM
Admiral

They just interviewed 3 local siblings that were onboard.They mentioned the kindness of the crew, but were dismayed at their fellow passengers as being very uncaring towards one another. They were awating a flight to Rome, then onto Barcelona, to meet up with their relieved parents.

Old January 15th, 2012, 01:54 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
They just interviewed 3 local siblings that were onboard.They mentioned the kindness of the crew, but were dismayed at their fellow passengers as being very uncaring towards one another. They were awating a flight to Rome, then onto Barcelona, to meet up with their relieved parents.
Trip…. I’m not surprised by this at all; we see it in everyday life. Very sad that the help thy neighbor is rarely exercised now days.
Old January 16th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Lets wave at the locals

As I said in my previous posts on this subject,the ship should not have been anywhere near that island,all the cruise lines with modern ships enter the route into the computer,the idiot of a captain altered the course ,the thoughts are he wanted to show the ship off to the islanders,this may not be as strange as it sounds I was on a merchant ship leaving Malta and the captain had friends who had a house on the cliff tops so he took the ship on the inside course and sprang two plates we had the pumps going all the way back to Liverpool,he got a letter of censure,the not so good news is that Costa has got a even bigger ship coming into service next year,I suppose it makes economic sense but you cannot get 4000 passengers into lifeboats in a short time so 6000 is totally mad.
I have always when on a cruise thought that they should alter course when the wind and waves are in the wrong direction and so make the passage a little easier but I was wrong these giant ships have to stick to the course set they have got to big for mistakes not to cost lives.
Old January 16th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Admiral

Right or wrong they have a muster drill at the main port, anyone joining afterwards had a video that is playing in the cabin...which it is as I recall. I suppose it would be best not to have more than one embarkation port.
They are criticising staff making announcements saying "everything is under control do not panic"...what are they supposed to say "we are sinking you are gonna drown, every man for himself!!"
Old January 15th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Costa Sinking

Hi I was on a Costa ship in December,the running of the ship was slack,we arrived in Savonna which is the home port for Costa and boarded the ship,we went to cabin and looked at the news letter that you get every day telling you wants on,we then went for a late lunch and a drink,returned to cabin and as it had been a long day had a afternoon nap,two nights later we mentioned to the people on our table at dinner that it was about time we had a boat drill,they were amazed it had happened the afternoon we had arrived ,in order to comply with the boat drill you have to give in your boat drill plastic cards to the person running it,we still had ours as we had not attended,the crew should have contacted us and made sure we did attend the boat drill,with regard this sinking,what is strange is they should have been nowhere near that island ,I suspect somebody entered the wrong course into the auto pilot,the news that at least 40 people are still missing may prove false as the majority of the people were Italians so would have got relations to pick them up and take them home ,what is more worrying is that at least 23 fillipino crew are missing the crew have nowhere to go and stick together so if 23 are missing I fear they maybe dead.
Old January 15th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Welcome Newcomer

I would also add that I have been on a number of cruises ,I have always said that if anything happened there would be panic and the crew would be next to useless,the reason is the ships are so large now and trying to remove 4000 people in a short time will always prove impossible,the cruise lines know that,but go through the mandatory boat drills to cover themselves ,when you take a cruise you must remember this ,take one rather like you would take a airflight you know that if something major was to go wrong your chances are slim,but its a rare thing for a aircraft to crash as it is a ship to sink,with regard whats being said on the news,the ship should have passed that island to seaward and gone on to Savonna,that ship was on the wrong course and hit those rocks hard enough to rip the bottom out of her the fact she is on the other side to the holes you can see must mean that there are even bigger holes on that side,what is unforgivable is they still kept saying it was a electrical failure stopping people leaving the restaurant until the ship started listing ,when I was in the merchant marine many years ago we were always told you have 5 mins to get your act together or see davy jones up close.
Old January 15th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Familiar Face

CNN reporting that 2 bodies were pulled from the ship bringing the death toll to 5 people, with about 15 unaccounted for at this point.
Old January 15th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I am surprised at the lack of disclosure coming out of Costa/Carnival. The best thing they could be doing right now is describing exactly what happened and reminding us that this could have been a tragedy of Titanic proportions.

It is a good thing the ship was able to get back to shore before it took on so much water it sank.

People have asked why the ship tilted toward the shore and I explained that above - but I don't get why it is facing south when it was headed north.

It appears the captain tried to turn the ship around and bring it into port in Porto Giglio. he didn't quite make it. he must have had some steering power, though I don't know what. (I would like to know).
Old January 15th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Familiar Face

ABC news is reporting the 2 bodies pulled from the ship were elderly male passengers. They were in their cabin & wearing their lifevests.
Old January 16th, 2012, 12:35 PM
Familiar Face

Default Cruise workers down hill?

I've noticed my last few cruises the crew was less friendly, food eck, ship not as clean. Thinking of all inclusive?