Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Costa
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 20th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Admiral

Default Costa Concordia: Cruise Firm faces US Lawsuit

Class action has been launched.

BBC News - Costa Concordia disaster: Cruise firm faces US lawsuit

Apparently they want a min of $160k per passenger.

Annie
Sponsored Links
Old January 20th, 2012, 05:08 PM
Admiral

I am not surprized. With all the lawyers we have in this country they will because somebody sneezes.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old January 21st, 2012, 05:50 AM
Captain

Smile

I just read an article on the internet that stated that, Costa in recent days has suspended Schettino,announced it is no longer paying his legal fees and has signed on as a civil party in the prosection,a move that positions it as an injured party and would allow it to seek damages in the case of a guilty verdict. Now I am not claiming to be a lawyer or anything just stating what the article said.
Old January 21st, 2012, 11:51 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

No basis that I can see for it to be in a U.S. court.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old January 21st, 2012, 11:57 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Why would people think that the cruise line/et al, should not be sued after this tragedy?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 21st, 2012, 12:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

They will be...Italian courts should have jurisdiction.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old January 21st, 2012, 03:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

When you set up a company that has a lot of expensive assets, you set up a holding company that owns everything from the chairs to the vehicles be they vans or cruise ships.

Each section of your business works as an independent trader but rents the chairs etc at an exorbitant rate from the holding company, now each company makes a small profit/loss for tax and the holding company takes the big money.
Now put your holding company in a nice little tax haven and you have it made.
It is the way of the world.
The looser on this one if the insurance company gets out of paying will most likely be the Italian taxpayer.
Old January 21st, 2012, 10:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

I've seen some different figures thrown around, ranging from the lower end of a refund of your fare plus 30% off your next cruise, the the higher end in the millions.

I'm not sure what a reasonable level of compensation would be, but I think people are playing mind games here. Multi-million dollar claims, and refund + 30% voucher are both insane, and that's what both parties are playing at.

The multi-million dollar claims are based on the hope that if they ask for something insanely high, they'll get something ridiculously high. Costa on the other hand, hope that if they offer something insanely low, they'll get away with something ridiculously low.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 05:04 AM
Admiral

Default Costa Concordia 30% discount

Here is another link to that story ; also some photographs of the disaster.

Could someone remind please what the Carnival Splendour cruisers were offered?

Costa Concordia: 'insulting' cruise offer to survivors - Telegraph

Annie
Old January 22nd, 2012, 08:50 AM
Admiral

Default Suing the Cruise Lines

Sadly, I had one experience in this subject and the secret words areMARITIME LAWYERS...If I had been a passenger on the Concordia I certainly would check out if there is going to be a "class action suite". I seriously doubt that Costa will be in the cruise business in the future. I am not sure about where Carnival fits into this, but they will obviously take a major financial hit, but eventually come up smelling like roses after investors buy up the downgraded stock.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 11:24 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Carnival Splendor cruisers were given there money back for the failed cruise plus given a new, free 7-day cruise on any Carnival ship.

They also had all of their expenses to get home, etc, paid.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 12:18 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
Carnival Splendor cruisers were given there money back for the failed cruise plus given a new, free 7-day cruise on any Carnival ship.

Thanks Paul - that is what I thought so why do Costa think they can get away with a 30% discount on a future cruise?

Smacks of double standards.

Annie
Old January 22nd, 2012, 01:08 PM
Admiral

Default Paying Expenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post

Does the Costa/Carnival line think they can get away with paying them for their cruise, their clothes, valuables and expenses (American Embassy was no help and charged) and ANOTHER CRUISE!!! How about the people who have died.. That is "chutzpa" on their part and if I had to as others did wait hours to climb down the ladder to a MAYBE waiting overcrowded life boat and talk about the psychological damage done to them and their families. I don't know if the fine print on the back of our tickets talks about incompetent Captains....Yes, there many of us who will cruise at the drop of a hat, but for those people who have not yet cruised or who have had doubts...the entire cruise industry will suffer. The mega ships will be cruising with empty cabins,dropping their prices and profits to stockholders.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 01:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

The level of this tragedy, certainly should put the compensation to each passenger to a new, never been seen before level, in my mind, but, is there a cap on what they cruiseline can actually pay to each?

I think, first off, its too soon to speak of any kind of settlement. I can only believe there are years ahead of flashbacks,and trauma, for many. The tragedy is only 9 days old,and still unfolding.

To insult the passengers now, with the paltry amounts of compensation, only inflames the situation....Lawyers and the courts will be involved for many years in this sad mess. I for one, think the Captain, will not see a courtroom, he will take the cowards way out.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 22nd, 2012, 03:16 PM
Admiral

Default Costa is only offering a 30% discount on a future cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom View Post
Does the Costa/Carnival line think they can get away with paying them for their cruise, their clothes, valuables and expenses (American Embassy was no help and charged) and ANOTHER CRUISE!!! How about the people who have died.. That is "chutzpa" on their part and if I had to as others did wait hours to climb down the ladder to a MAYBE waiting overcrowded life boat and talk about the psychological damage done to them and their families. I don't know if the fine print on the back of our tickets talks about incompetent Captains....Yes, there many of us who will cruise at the drop of a hat, but for those people who have not yet cruised or who have had doubts...the entire cruise industry will suffer. The mega ships will be cruising with empty cabins,dropping their prices and profits to stockholders.
Parrot Mom

Costa cruisers involved in the accident are at present only being offered a 30% doscount on a future cruise?

Annie