Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Costa offer to Concordia passengers

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2012, 06:36 PM
Admiral

Has something changed?

I posted something similar -double standards a couple of days ago - Carnival Splendour passengers all got their money back + a free cruise whereas European passengers (predominantly) are offered a 30% discount on a future cruise.

I can tell you it ain't going done well this side of the pond.

Another example of European cruisers treated 2nd class -JMHO

Annie
Old January 23rd, 2012, 07:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I believe the offer is for those booked on Costa cruises prior to the Mar.23 sailing.

From my reading it doesn't say the offer is to compensate those who were sailing on the ship at the time of this incident.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old January 23rd, 2012, 07:26 PM
Admiral

I stand corrected.

I must check what I read today.

Annie

Wow - Costa have improved their original offer to a refund of the cruise plus 30% off a future cruise - still well short of the Splendour compo payout - right enough their ship didn't capsize.

Last edited by anniegb; January 23rd, 2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 08:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

I haven't heard anything from Costa yet. I'm not sure what their idea is regarding compensation.

I don't like lawsuits, but I think I might have to get myself a lawyer for this, unless they come up with something reasonable.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 09:09 PM
Admiral

I did misinterpet it, I guess as some others did as well. On The View today, when Whoopie announced this offer, you could hear the audiences intake, and, groans.(

Arion, I hope you get the best representation available..good luck.

Last edited by Trip; January 23rd, 2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old January 24th, 2012, 12:39 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I did misinterpet it, I guess as some others did as well. On The View today, when Whoopie announced this offer, you could hear the audiences intake, and, groans.(

Arion, I hope you get the best representation available..good luck.
Even Fox news was ERRONEOUSLY reporting the offer as compensation for those who were ON THE ship when this tragedy struck. That is NOT the case. The offer is ONLY for those booked on future sailings.

Yet another case of media rushing to get "the story" out, without any real consideration for the facts.

They certainly won't be trying to settle on any compensation for those who WERE on board for some time.... at least until all the facts are known (as best as possible).

For those who were booked on future sailings, the offer is not terrible. They get their money back, including air and hotel that may have been prepaid. Yes, sadly they'll lose their vacations, but further compensation just isn't likely to amount to much; maybe with negotiations they might get a 50% discount for a future cruise.

Those involved, and those who lost loved ones, will certainly be due significangt compensation.
Old January 24th, 2012, 03:00 AM
Admiral

[QUOTE=Kuki;1411580]Even Fox news was ERRONEOUSLY reporting

/QUOTE]

The words say it all but I am NOT surprised.

Annie
Old January 24th, 2012, 07:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

I've received the following email from SeaScanner with whom I booked the Cruise. For the record, I boarded the Concordia in Civitaveccia on 13 Jan, a couple of hours before the incident.

Quote:
Dear [name removed]

today, we have received information from Costa Cruises regarding your cruise on the Costa Concordia. Costa Cruises offers you the following three options:

1. You will receive a full refund of the cruise price and an additional 30 % discount on any future Costa Cruise booking.

2. You will receive a full refund plus a free cruise on any 7 day Costa cruise between January and the end of March 2012 in the same category on the Costa Luminosa, Costa Mediterranea, Costa Favolosa or Costa Serena, cruise only (port to port).

3. You receive a full refund of your cruise with not future booking.

Please let us know as soon as possible, but no later than January 25, for which of the three options you decide.

Otherwise you will get your money paid back.

We are very sorry for the inconveniences caused. We are always at your service for any questions or wishes regarding this booking.

With best regards
Old January 24th, 2012, 09:02 AM
Banned
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
Even Fox news was ERRONEOUSLY reporting the offer as compensation for those who were ON THE ship when this tragedy struck. That is NOT the case.
Yet another case of media rushing to get "the story" out,
With respect, you mentioned Fox and News in the same sentence.

The Costa story is something else.
The Captain been seen with his laptop in a Hotel, prior to the abandon ship message.
The captain saying he fell into a lifeboat.

My goodness, no wonder all the media outlets, including Fox are getting messed up.

Last edited by Lynn Knickers; January 24th, 2012 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Libra loss is a pando employee
Old January 24th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Admiral

Last evening, on Watch What Happens Now, a live show at 11pm, this was told as fact, again.

Arion, they don't give you much time to jump on that offer, on a cruise line, you may well cringe at, forerver.

Old January 24th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
I've received the following email from SeaScanner with whom I booked the Cruise. For the record, I boarded the Concordia in Civitaveccia on 13 Jan, a couple of hours before the incident.
Arion... if your travel agent sent you this they are idiots. That isn't the case.

If you'd care to actually share some of your experiences about how you gotg off the ship here, we'd certainly like to hear them.
Old January 24th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Arion... if your travel agent sent you this they are idiots. That isn't the case.
This evidently is what they got from Costa. Do you have evidence to the contrary?

Quote:
If you'd care to actually share some of your experiences about how you gotg off the ship here, we'd certainly like to hear them.
I'll share in more in due course. For now, I just think it's important that people going on a cruise study any safety related literature, and practice making their way to the muster stations regularly, and as soon as possible. I also think that Costa have to take steps to credibly assure passengers that their ships are safe.
Old January 25th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

A statement on Costa's website does seem to conflict with what I heard from my Travel Agent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.costacruise.com/B2C/USA/Info/concordia_statement.htm
Costa Cruises asserts that the company has never offered any discount on future cruises to guests who were on board the Costa Concordia for the cruise of Jan. 13, 2012, and involved in the accident.
Costa Concordia: accident updating - Costa Cruises
Old January 25th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Last evening, on Watch What Happens Now, a live show at 11pm, this was told as fact, again.

All kinds of new and media sources, who obviously don't have a clue about the cruise industry, have been erroneously reporting it this way. It's their ignorance, and their drive to sensationalize.

It is going to take months to even begin to contemplate making any type of compensation offers or negotiations to those who were actually sailing on the ship at the time of the event.

Simple common sense would dictate that to be the case, and I can assure you that will be what happens, despite the irresponsible reporting by so many.
Old January 25th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
All kinds of new and media sources, who obviously don't have a clue about the cruise industry, have been erroneously reporting it this way. It's their ignorance, and their drive to sensationalize.
Fair enough, but I'd have held my travel agent to a higher standard, particularly when they tell me that they're relaying infromation from Costa.

Quote:
It is going to take months to even begin to contemplate making any type of compensation offers or negotiations to those who were actually sailing on the ship at the time of the event.
Why? Wouldn't it make sense for Costa to want to sort this out as quickly as possible, as opposed to drawing out the stain in their reputation?
Old January 25th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Why? Wouldn't it make sense for Costa to want to sort this out as quickly as possible, as opposed to drawing out the stain in their reputation?
Yes, of course it would be best to settle early. The problem will be sorting out all the facts, as well as no doubt many on board will be negotiating through attorney's. As well as the complicated issue of compensation to the families who lost loved ones.
Old January 25th, 2012, 08:37 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Fair enough, but I'd have held my travel agent to a higher standard, particularly when they tell me that they're relaying infromation from Costa.
As I said earlier in this thread, your travel agent has to be an idiot. They likely saw a fax regarding compensation for guests on future cruises, and didn't bother reading it... or thinking about what they read.