Default Concordia's removal

It seems will not be any time soon.....

Costa Concordia Disaster: Ship Removal Could Take 10 Months

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old January 30th, 2012, 08:10 PM
Admiral

I'm sure that it is essential to take time to remove the ship in order to do the least amount of disturbance to the area. It is a shame how it will affect the people of the island and their way of life but if done right it will only help them rather hurt if done quickly and cause problems with in the water.

Caribbean Trip Reports
Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014, MSC Divina Oct 2014
Old January 30th, 2012, 08:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hmmm show of hands.

Firstly who here heard of Giglio before this happened?

Secondly, after the whole world being told how pristine the Tuscan coast is, how many people are likely to visit there after this? They'll probably build a Concordia museum or something to attract even more tourists in the longer term.

Last edited by Trip; January 31st, 2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old January 31st, 2012, 01:23 PM
First Mate

Firstly who here heard of Giglio before this happened?

Secondly, after the whole world being told how pristine the Tuscan coast is, how many people are likely to visit there after this? They'll probably build a Concordia museum or something to attract even more tourists in the longer term.

:razz:

Good one. I raise my hand. It may be an environmental problem (I sure hope not) but it certainly put Giglio on the map. Just wait til tourist season starts.

It is kinda sad that a disaster with death and a possible environmental disaster puts a little town on the map.

Last edited by Trip; January 31st, 2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old January 31st, 2012, 01:39 PM
Admiral

I definitely had never heard of Giglio before this. I'm sure that a lot of Italians and some other Europeans had but now the World has herad of them. In the end this tragidy will probably prove to help them much more than hurt them.

Caribbean Trip Reports
Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014, MSC Divina Oct 2014
Old January 31st, 2012, 03:18 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Cruiser64 View Post
:razz:

Good one. I raise my hand. It may be an environmental problem (I sure hope not) but it certainly put Giglio on the map. Just wait til tourist season starts.

It is kinda sad that a disaster with death and a possible environmental disaster puts a little town on the map.
My post wasn't very clear I think. I raise my hands that I never heard of Giglio before. :razz:
Old February 2nd, 2012, 10:05 PM
Admiral

Nor had I. Quite frankly, I think this area will do just fine, especially this season.

Just completed - Celebrity Reflection, Nov. 22 (learning to sail solo) followed by Independence of the Seas Nov. 30.

Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 09:31 AM
Familiar Face

We sailed by Giglio on the night/morning of 22nd/23rd of December 2011 on our way to Naples from Savona on the Costa Deliziosa .... we went around the outside of the island which i believe is the usual route taken going South. We had passed it before on a different cruise but really took no notice of it!

10 companies have been asked to Tender for the ships removal.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 09:37 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Sidari, I wonder how Costa will help this island as the seasons change,and the fishermen struggle to earn a living. They may also be impacted by visitiors coming to see the ship. This could help the locals a bit, but surely Costa has to factor them into the compensation somehow, wouldn't you think?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 3rd, 2012, 09:43 AM
Familiar Face

Trip .. I think that the islanders will have already been in talks with Costa about their living and earning potential, it will be a difficult task stopping people from visiting the island but i hope there will be an exclusion zone around the ship and the land nearest to it.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 10:46 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Sidari, I wonder how Costa will help this island as the seasons change,and the fishermen struggle to earn a living. They may also be impacted by visitiors coming to see the ship. This could help the locals a bit, but surely Costa has to factor them into the compensation somehow, wouldn't you think?
I just read an article on Yahoo today about how there is a decree preventing anyone from coming with in one nautical mile of the wreck, so I'm sure this is impacting local fisherman.

**Carnival Valor 12/2008**

**Carnival Victory 12/2010**

**Carnival Valor 11/2012**
;-)