CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Costa (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/costa/)
-   -   More Costa Problems - Costa Allegra Adrift at Sea (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/costa/387971-more-costa-problems-costa-allegra-adrift-sea.html)

anniegb February 27th, 2012 11:39 AM

More Costa Problems - Costa Allegra Adrift at Sea

BBC News - Cruise ship Costa Allegra adrift off Seychelles

Everyone is safe.

Annie

Trip February 27th, 2012 12:03 PM

2012, has been a tough years so far,and we've not hit month 3! My reasoning to bring a flashlight, has even more meaning. I hope we only get good news the rest of the year. Let's hope all the passengers arrive safely to port.

anniegb February 27th, 2012 12:27 PM

Type of Engine?

Fair point re flashlights Trip. To be honest still won't pack one and won't pack a power strip either :)

Just curious - a Carnival vessel had an engine room fire a couple of years ago? - just wonder esp as Costa and Carnival are sister companies if there is a commonality in engine types?

Anyway I hope that everyone makes it safely to the Seychelles.

Costa was already struggling in the European market, this latest incident will not help - I know that is the understatement of the year.

Annie

Manuel February 27th, 2012 01:53 PM

I am a big fan of flashlights. I have over two dozen in the house and car.
I never travel without one.

TM

anniegb February 27th, 2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manuel (Post 1417823)
I am a big fan of flashlights. I have over two dozen in the house and car.
I never travel without one.

TM

Manuel - I have one I know where it is and I can find the stock of candles in the dark along with matches.

In my younger days when I youth hostelled I did carry a torch but I haven't had need to use a torch in over 30 years - touch wood.

Annie

felix_the_cat February 27th, 2012 02:43 PM

I can't believe this is still happening to Costa. What can go wrong is going wrong.

As for the torch, DH is in construction so they are always around the house and garage. I just don't usually know where they are. :p I used to carry a wee one in my purse but it always fell apart. Now I just use my blackberry. Not a bright light - but it is a light.

anniegb February 27th, 2012 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by felix_the_cat (Post 1417827)
I can't believe this is still happening to Costa. What can go wrong is going wrong.

As for the torch, DH is in construction so they are always around the house and garage. I just don't usually know where they are. :p I used to carry a wee one in my purse but it always fell apart. Now I just use my blackberry. Not a bright light - but it is a light.

Felix

You are not alone - most people use their mobile phones nowadays esp when they are trying to find the seats in the cinema :)

Back to Costa, incredible isn't it. I don't know of anyone in the UK who would book a Costa cruise.

Annie

Paul Motter February 27th, 2012 04:02 PM

Annie.. the costa ships are mostly identical to carnival ships, but not Allegra, Carnival does not have any ships that small anymore.

This ship used to belong to Regency cruise lines...

But FYI, almost ALL cruise ships use the same engines and have engine room systems made by the same company, Wartsilla in Germany.

It isn't just Carnival ships; Norwegian Epic had a Wartsilla engine blow up just before the ship was set to make its inaugural cruise - set it back by two weeks.

Paul Motter February 27th, 2012 04:03 PM

These people are adrift - unprotected in pirate waters - can you imagine how scared they are???

I just saw this report below... (they had to have been put on there before the ship sailed - knowing it was going through these waters).

9 marines aboard Italian ship adrift in Indian Ocean

• (AGI) Genoa - Costa Crociere said nine Italian marines are aboard cruise liner 'Allegra' which is adrift in the Indian Ocean. "On board the 'Allegra', there are also nine marines.
    Their presence is due to the ship's route, which is at risk of attacks by pirates", the director of Costa Crociere's nautical operations, captain Giorgio Moretti, said at a press conference called tonight at the company's headquarters in Genoa to take stock of the situation after a fire broke out in the engine room of the cruise liner. Moretti explained that, to avoid possible attacks by pirates, a plane is currently flying over the area where the cruise ship is adrift and that a small military vessel will be among the boats that are expected to come to the ship's rescue between tonight and tomorrow morning.
    . .

Trip February 27th, 2012 04:12 PM

What itinerary is she sailing? Are the Seychelles so close to Somalia? I'll have to google a map. I so hope the ship gets back safely to port...This just adds a new wrinkle to this debaucle.

Paul, let's keep our fingers crossed, our Epic engines run like clockwork!

anniegb February 27th, 2012 04:39 PM

Wartsilla

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Motter (Post 1417834)
Annie.. the costa ships are mostly identical to carnival ships, but not Allegra, Carnival does not have any ships that small anymore.

This ship used to belong to Regency cruise lines...

But FYI, almost ALL cruise ships use the same engines and have engine room systems made by the same company, Wartsilla in Germany.

It isn't just Carnival ships; Norwegian Epic had a Wartsilla engine blow up just before the ship was set to make its inaugural cruise - set it back by two weeks.

Thanks Paul - I knew I knew that name.

When I worked in the UK Shipping industry, a lot of the vessels under management had Wartsilla engines - cannot remember any problems though.

It looks as if Costa may just be unlucky?

Annie

anniegb February 27th, 2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1417837)
What itinerary is she sailing? Are the Seychelles so close to Somalia? I'll have to google a map. I so hope the ship gets back safely to port...This just adds a new wrinkle to this debaucle.

Paul, let's keep our fingers crossed, our Epic engines run like clockwork!

Trip

Seychelles lie off the East coast of Africa (Tanzania) and yes the Somali pirates are operating in the area.

I understand that the Allegra has armed guards on board.

Now that mind sound sensationalist but on a land tour of Jordan, we had a permanent armed guard (Army) assigned to our small group - you get used to it.

Annie

Trip February 27th, 2012 04:49 PM

Costa Statement

Costa Allegra: updating - Costa Cruises

HawkeyeFLA February 27th, 2012 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anniegb (Post 1417825)
Manuel - I have one I know where it is and I can find the stock of candles in the dark along with matches.

In my younger days when I youth hostelled I did carry a torch but I haven't had need to use a torch in over 30 years - touch wood.

Annie

I live in hurricane territory, as such I keep flashlights everywhere in my apt. Combined to that when I lived in Chicago in 99, my apt was powerless for over 48 hours when the neighborhood transformer blew out. So it was quite dark everywhere. Lots of people carrying flashlights that weekend. I guess it just all depends on where you live as to what "just in case" stuff you keep nearby.

Paul Motter February 27th, 2012 05:25 PM

Linda - it is almost exactly the same spot where that MSC ship was attacked a few years ago. The one where they secretly had Israeli commandos onboard with weapons.

I'm sorry - but this is not funny, but it is really so tragic it is like a bad movie.

The best Hollywood writer could not write the story of the Concordia accident and then say "And just a few weks later we have another ship go dead in the water - off the coast of Somalia"

Costa - I feel for you!!! I really do. This is beyond bad news - it is so sad its almost laughable.

Time will pass - Costa, Really it will. Meanwhile there is valium.

Spartan kent February 27th, 2012 05:32 PM

This sort of thing could happen to any ship even Cunard had a fire not so long ago.
What must be said is this time they got it right and put the fire out.

Spartan kent February 27th, 2012 05:52 PM

Hey don't forget Pirates have human rights. LOL

Paul Motter February 27th, 2012 06:08 PM

Here is the funny part - After MSC was attacked they "surprised" the pirates by having armed Israeli commandos aboard.

Since then no cruise line has ever admitted to having Marines or anyone else onboard to protect against pirates, but now that a ship is vulnerable they admit that they do have Marines (Italian) onboard.

I think that is great - and they should just admit the truth before they sail in these waters. being realistic they all probably carry such protectors, or else other cruise ships would have been attacked over the years.

Spartan kent February 27th, 2012 06:18 PM

Princess don't carry marines just a few retired Gurkha's :cool:

hockeynut February 27th, 2012 06:35 PM

Costa can't catch a break. It's bad enough to have this happen after the Concordia incident, but to have it happen in an area where pirates are active could be scary.

I'm glad everyone is safe for now. Hopefully they remain that way and Costa can bounce back from all this. It has to get better from here.

Paul Motter February 27th, 2012 06:46 PM

Kent - with all dues respect you don't know what Princess may carry if it sails in these waters - because the cruise lines don't say. That is my point.

The first to be attacked was Seabourn, and they did NOT have extra protection, but they did ward off the pirates (I have some great pictures a passenger who was onboard sent to me, but I don't think this is the right time to post them).

Next it was MSC who was attacked - but they surprised the pirates. Now it is Costa who is vulnerable and they admit they have extra protection onboard.

No one says - but it seems safe to assume extra measures are now the norm in the industry.

By the way - the "hero" security guard who manned the sonar cannon of Seabourn Pride took a wound to one of his hands. He asked Seabourn for some kind of compensation and ended up suing them. Apparently he didn't get what he wanted and so he turned into a "the truth about the cruise industry" guy writing an "expose" book about what "really" happens on cruise ships.

anniegb February 27th, 2012 07:25 PM

Costa Allegra Update - Fishing Vessel reaches ship

The latest:

BBC News - Boat reaches Italian cruise ship adrift off Seychelles

Annie

Spartan kent February 28th, 2012 08:01 PM

In that incident one crew member had damage to his hearing after the other one who was holding the sonic cannon was wounded, why they both did not have ear defenders on is a mystery.

Manuel February 28th, 2012 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan kent (Post 1417860)
Hey don't forget Pirates have human rights. LOL

Yes they do! :mad: :twisted:

They have a right to a prompt execution and burial at sea.

TM

Spartan kent February 29th, 2012 01:58 AM

No, here you deal with them by bringing them back to UK locking them up for a couple of weeks in a nice cosy prison cell, then releasing them, giving them a mobile phone a place to live money every week and compensation for contravening their human rights. Next we spend a few million trying to return them to their home country this of course takes years and for taking up their time we pay them more compensation. rofl

felix_the_cat February 29th, 2012 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan kent (Post 1418145)
No, here you deal with them by bringing them back to UK locking them up for a couple of weeks in a nice cosy prison cell, then releasing them, giving them a mobile phone a place to live money every week and compensation for contravening their human rights. Next we spend a few million trying to return them to their home country this of course takes years and for taking up their time we pay them more compensation. rofl

hmmmmmm sounds like Canada.